Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watchin that Vandy and Kentucky, and I saw that big freshmand dude, Alleyne.

And, he is terrible.

He can't run the court, he can't pass, he can't shoot, he surely can't dive on the court for a loose ball, and he is very uncordinated.

This guy is never gonna be worth a damn.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Why even make a post that is completely insulting like that? He is a freshman project - Tubby will bring him around. Estill looked pretty darn worthless his first year as well - so did Magloire. Both of them ended up looking pretty darn stout.

Heck, its the same with you - So far I have not seen that you add anything worthwhile to this board, but the moderators have seen fit to let you stay in hopes that over time you will turn into a productive member of this team. Have a nice day.

(Mods, I am sorry if that was over the top)

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BrYaNBaIlEy06</b>!
I was watchin that Vandy and Kentucky, and I saw that big freshmand dude, Alleyne.

And, he is terrible.

He can't run the court, he can't pass, he can't shoot, he surely can't dive on the court for a loose ball, and he is very uncordinated.

Yes, Alleyne does suck. But you know who else sucked? Estill sucked, and he dominated every big man in the SEC last year. Magloire sucked when he first came to UK, and now he's in the NBA playing absolutely great. Nazr Mohammad sucked and now he's in the NBA. You said he's never going to be worth a damn. Wow. He has four years to play basketball here at UK, and that's a long time. Anyone with 1/3 of a brain knows that Tubby is one of the best coaches that can develop players. Please. You honestly don't know what you're talking about.

·
Registered
425 Posts
i know someone else around here who always causes problems and trys to act cool but realistically isnt and isnt worth a dam* but im not going to say who.....

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Bryan Bailey is an[strike] idiot plain and simple. [/strike]

Ah it felt good to say that. :D

Do not insult other users please.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Quote me right now....

Its nothing wrong with posting your opinion. But at least give reasons to why or future reasons to why. Your posts that I have read severly lack depth and insight

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BEEZ</b>!

Its nothing wrong with posting your opinion. But at least give reasons to why or future reasons to why. Your posts that I have read severly lack depth and insight
Exactly. He never backs up what he says. Ever. He also completely ignores posts where people prove him wrong. BryanBailey, since you're probably about 10 years old, I imagine you never saw Nazr or Jamal Magloire in their freshman years. If you did, you would've said the same thing you're saying now. Well guess what? By the end of their senior years, they were first round draft picks and Magloire is busy right now being one of the best defensive big men in the East.

I'd quote you, but since you'll probably be banned before Alleyne graduates, it won't matter. You won't be able to brag around here if you're right. Whatever crystal ball you're using, I'd like to use it too. 4 years is a long time. Someone ban this guy. He does nothing but bait.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
bryan, i hope there is some sort of motive for posting this other than a cheap shot at kentucky fans. you are certainly entitled to your opinion and to participating in discussions, but not when your main intent is to bait and flame with fans of other teams.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Alleyne was one of the more overrated recruits in this class. He will follow in the great lines of Chase Matheney and Neil Fingleton.

From afar I think that Magloire, and perhaps Mohammed had quite a bit more offensive skills and basketball sense then Alleyne as recruits. Now they certainly improved alot at UK, but Alleyne is starting a tier below them, IMO.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JuniorNoboa</b>!
Alleyne was one of the more overrated recruits in this class. He will follow in the great lines of Chase Matheney and Neil Fingleton.

I also think that Magloire, Mohammed had quite a bit more offensive skills and basketball sense then Alleyne as recruits. Now they certainly improved alot at UK, but Alleyne is starting a tier below them.
Alleyne was overrated? I didn't even know he was highly recruited enough to be over or underrated. Tubby can develop Alleyne though. As OwnTheBlocks once stated, "the sky is the limit for a 7'3 guy with an 8 foot wingspan", which is very true. I don't expect Alleyne to impress me until his junior year, though. The guy is still learning.

Don't forget how bad Nazr was, either. If I recall correctly (correct me if I'm wrong), Nazr was offered no scholarships except his UK scholarship, which kind of shows how bad he once was.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Originally posted by <b>UKfan4Life</b>!

Alleyne was overrated? I didn't even know he was highly recruited enough to be over or underrated.
I should have been more clear. He is not overrated now. But throughout the recruiting process he most certainly was - in particular as a junior.

As a junior I am fairly certain that Alleyne was considered a top 20 prospect in his class, and some said top 10. When he became a senior, while he was fairly heavily recruited, his class rankings fell as people realized this guy could not play basketball. He did not really progress as a prospect. To show no progression over a full year in high school, when you have limited skills to begin with, does not bode well for your ability to grow in the future.

If I am wrong with the above, someone please correct me. I am no recruiting guru.

By year-end last year when he finally signed on with UK, I think he was around #70 in his class. No longer overrated, I suppose, but he is only #70 because of his height.

Tubby can develop Alleyne though. As OwnTheBlocks once stated, "the sky is the limit for a 7'3 guy with an 8 foot wingspan", which is very true.
The sky is usually not the limit for guys this size - in fact its the opposite. Unfortunately, when you get to that height, more often then not you are restricted in the skills you can develop - your body just can't do it.

Think of the real giants (7.3 or more) to enter college the past few years. None of them ever developed - injuries are usually a given. Fingleton was a top 30 recruit.

I don't expect Alleyne to impress me until his junior year, though. The guy is still learning.
Don't expect anything, because otherwise you will likely be disappointed.

Don't forget how bad Nazr was, either. If I recall correctly (correct me if I'm wrong), Nazr was offered no scholarships except his UK scholarship, which kind of shows how bad he once was.
Wasn't Nazr a ridiculously fat slob when he was recruited. Probably did not help him. I would imagine he had some offensive touch but this was hidden by his girth.

Magloire was a top 25 recruit, and was very agile for a big men.

Yes Tubby developed a guy with inherent offensive touch (Nazr), and another big men who was atletic and agile to begin with (Jamaal).

Those players are so different and so much better "basketball" wise then Alleyne, that you cannot use them as a basis for comparison for development, IMO

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
^^^ Thank god.

Someone as smart as me on this message board, and someone that agrees with me.
JuniorNoboa is much smarter than you and most people on this board when it comes to college basketball. You act as if he's the only one, though. Xubrew, kansasalumn, HongKong, and many more are also very smart about the college game. That post is longer and more intelligent than anything you've ever posted here. He actually gave reasons as to why he doesn't think Alleyne will be any good. Since you can't think of any reasons yourself to as to why Alleyne won't be any good in the future, you just back up his post.

The sky is usually not the limit for guys this size - in fact its the opposite. Unfortunately, when you get to that height, more often then not you are restricted in the skills you can develop - your body just can't do it.

Think of the real giants (7.3 or more) to enter college the past few years. None of them ever developed - injuries are usually a given. Fingleton was a top 30 recruit.
Wasn't Nazr a ridiculously fat slob when he was recruited. Probably did not help him. I would imagine he had some offensive touch but this was hidden by his girth.

Magloire was a top 25 recruit, and was very agile for a big men.

Yes Tubby developed a guy with inherent offensive touch (Nazr), and another big men who was atletic and agile to begin with (Jamaal).

Those players are so different and so much better "basketball" wise then Alleyne, that you cannot use them as a basis for comparison for development, IMO
I really can't sensibly argue with what you pointed out. However, what I can say is that I know for a fact that Tubby wouldn't have even bothered being interested in Alleyne if he didn't believe he could develop him. I think you're giving Alleyne the slam a little early. He's only in his freshman year and has barely played and you're saying he won't be anything special. I trust Tubby. He knows what he's doing. He even claimed that, before the season started, Alleyne was performing well with the post moves Tubby and David Hobbs were trying to teach him. I don't think Alleyne will go the way of Nazr or Magloire (in other words, the NBA), but I do believe he can be a player and I do believe he can develop if people would just stop giving him the shaft so early.

BTW - Yes Nazr was fat and was a slob when he first came to UK. In fact, when I saw him over the offseason, he was fat again. Then, not to long ago, I went to a Grizzlies and Hawks game and saw him and he was skinny again. I wonder what his secret is. :cool:

·
Registered
425 Posts
oh yeah btw who cares if i dont know you. one thing i do know is im sick n tired of you starting trouble around here and so are others. you just take cheap shots at other fans just to make them angry...because they dont wanna talk about mississippi state all the time 24/7....or maybe u take shots because we dont believe the same way(everyone has their opinions on things). i dont know what it is but u better stop or u might get what your asking for.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Alleyne already does a lot right. He keeps the ball high when he gets it, he goes for the jam every time, he runs the floor well, and he can pass.

A. He needs to develop his hands to catch the ball a little bit better Magloire needed MUCH work in this area as well but ended up with really soft hands

B. He needs to work on his positioning on both ends This is something that he is obviously getting better at already as he is learning the system that Tubby uses- basically he needs to put on a bit of bulk so he is not pushed out of the lane so easily

C. He needs to use his feet on defense and not rely on his wingspan I look for this aspect to develop more over the summer with some one on one instruction - once again, this is something that can be learned

D. The TEAM needs to pass the ball to his height! Several times the team passed the ball towards him only to have it grabbed by the much shorter defender - only ONCE did I see someone (Hawk) truely lob one to him and NOONE else would have had a chance to catch that pass. Allenye unfortunately missed the dunk or he would have probably gotten at least a couple more minutes on the floor.

Everything I mentioned above is VERY fixable and some of it will come naturally with maturity. The rest is attainable with practice, instruction, and repetition.

Anyone writing off this gentle giant this early in his stint at UK is shortchanging him and underestimating Tubby Smith

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Quote me right now....

Quoted. See, you WERE wrong. But I was too, sort of, since I said he wouldn't be anything until his junior year. Well, it's barely the start of his sophomore season and he's already something.

:D Couldn't resist. Alleyne is really going to be something else. He's already impressed me, and I thought he wouldn't until he's a junior.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts