Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies to everyone for wigging out about the signing of Gill yesterday. Those of you who felt that this signing probably meant nothing for Damon and/or Qyntel were most likely right.

The way it was explained it yesterday, it seems that Gill was the guy the Blazers were pursuing all along, but the talks were taking too long and the Blazers had to sign Cook so they wouldn't get in trouble with the league for only carrying 11 players.

This explanation seems to answer all the questions I had yesterday about the signings of Cook & Gill, and it makes a lot of sense. Again, apologies for wigging out yesterday.

But now that Gill is on-board, it looks like Cook is going to have to do something pretty miraculous to earn a spot with the team. Sad, 'cause I really liked what I saw from him in those 12 minutes. From the sounds of it, Mo liked what he saw too and is planning on playing Cook ahead of Gill for the remainder of his (Cook's) contract. I hope this means he wants to explore the kid's skills and is considering keeping him around for the rest of the season.

PBF

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
There is no real reason *not* to keep him around. Travis is not ready to contribute, so keeping him on the active roster will just frustrate him.

The odds of Cook really turning out to be anything special are long, but it won't cost the team much to find out.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
it's so hard to find a decent point guard and we're never in position to get a "sure thing" in the draft.

I think Portland has to keep both guys on the team and hope that one of them blossoms into (at least) a journeyman backup PG.

they're both young, cheap and have proven talent among lesser competition. besides, we've got decent depth at all the other postions. might as well keep them and see what happens.

ideally, we sign both of them to three year deals, with team options on the second and third years. that way if one blows up into something special, we retain Bird rights.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ProudBFan</b>!
This explanation seems to answer all the questions I had yesterday about the signings of Cook & Gill, and it makes a lot of sense
hmm.. I'm still skeptical. I still believe something is up.. Time will tell I guess.. :whoknows:

Scout

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think keeping both of them is a smart thing to do, some have said that Gill is more of a shooting gaurd than a pg we could sure use some sg help ,DA has his moments but isn't consistent at all , some nights it looks as if he couldn't throw it in the ocean standing on the beach, so if this kid can shoot that would be very beneficial.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!

I wonder how much Gill actually signed for?
Rumor has it that it was a two dollar deal. 75 cents this season and $1.25 next season. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.