Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Point guard Alvin Williams returned from knee surgery this year, after missing the entire 2004-05 campaign, confident that he'd see a lot of action this season.

Now, however, it appears as though Williams' wait will go on much longer.

The longest-serving Raptor was diagnosed with bone spurs in his right knee and hasn't played in 11 games. Last night, head coach Sam Mitchell suggested that it will be a while before Williams sees any action.

"I know he wants to play, but he has come such a long way from his (microfracture) surgery that I worry about him taking a step backwards by coming back too early," Mitchell said.

Eventually, Williams will undergo surgery to remove the bone spurs. That may happen sooner, rather than later.
http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Basketball/2005/11/27/1325962-sun.html

As much as I love this guy, this has to be the end of his career, right? What's this, like his fifth knee surgery?

·
Registered
506 Posts
McDyess went through several knee surgeries.

I think that alvin's big heart will eventually win.
He won't play 40 minutes per game, but he'll give some good minutes off the bench.

·
STL4LIFE
5,841 Posts
damm if he was healthy we could run our #2 lineup of

PG James
SG Williams
SF Bonner
PF Villinueva
C Bosh

I am sick and tired of Jalen Rose, give his PT to Grahem & Peterson bioth split Jalen's PT, hard to showcase a guy like Rose who is shooting so poor, the game he breaks out and puts another few together ship im outta here.

·
Registered
506 Posts
BTW... If injuries and Williams are mentioned...
What's going on with E-Will?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
onecooljew said:
So in the mean time...
He gets payed huge $ to have surgery...
Well that is the point - even tho he would not come off the cap it would have been better for Rap fans if he had just retired.

The line between him trying to earn his money via rehab and surgery <b>unselfish</b> AND him forking up the franchise by not allowing them to use his contract as an amnesty clause or letting insurance kick in and pick up his salary <b>Selfish</b> is getting blurry.

and the hope of him doing the honorable thing and opting out at seasons end is a long shot at best. So Alvin keeps adding millions to his millions and we Rap fans have to wait out another season of his contract.

For the first time I am starting to get pissed off at this guy. :curse:

·
Registered
31 Posts
it's too bad he has had such a hard time. When we were good he was our clutch player. Vince would be play great for 3 quarters, but the 4th and when the game was on the line he was the guy. I hope he comes back.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
i guess if he really cared about the organization and wanted to show some class, he'd retire, but i dunno? mayb he isn't as classy as people think he is

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Turkish Delight said:
I hate Glen Grunwald.
At the time it was a great signing. Probably more deserved than JYD and/or AD's signing.

That summer the Raptors spent like a drunken sailor and have been paying for it since... literally.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
oh boy, this ain't good

but, I feel for Alvin more than anything else. This team is years away from competing, so his salary off the books right now would not make that much difference in the grand scheme of things.

this could be the end of the line, but knowing Alvin he will do whatever it takes to get back

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
TRON said:
oh boy, this ain't good

but, I feel for Alvin more than anything else. This team is years away from competing, so his salary off the books right now would not make that much difference in the grand scheme of things.

this could be the end of the line, but knowing Alvin he will do whatever it takes to get back
Bring him in as a coach. Toronto loves him.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
He may as well have it now. I know he's worked hard to comes back already but from what I hear, he's not getting any healthier without it. He needs to test out that repaired knee to see whether or not he can keep playing at all. I don't think the bone spur surgery is nearly as serious as the one he's already had.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SkywalkerAC said:
He may as well have it now. I know he's worked hard to comes back already but from what I hear, he's not getting any healthier without it. He needs to test out that repaired knee to see whether or not he can keep playing at all. I don't think the bone spur surgery is nearly as serious as the one he's already had.
True, but repeatedly operating in the same area is going to make it harder for him to heal and get stronger.

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
speedythief said:
True, but repeatedly operating in the same area is going to make it harder for him to heal and get stronger.
It's the same knee then? Word is it's as good/strong as it's going to get, apart from the bone spur.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mr_B said:
*tries to act surprised*

I been saying for years that the raptors should of dumped him
Saying it over and over doesn't make a bit of difference. The only chance they had to trade him was in the Rose trade, and they did everything they could to make it happen.

I don't know why you think there is a market for a player with a $20+ million dollar multi-year contract who doesn't play.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
As much as I'd love to see Alvin return, I think its time to heavily consider retirement. I would love to see him on the bench as an assistant if things don't work out with his legs.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
speedythief said:
Saying it over and over doesn't make a bit of difference. The only chance they had to trade him was in the Rose trade, and they did everything they could to make it happen.

I don't know why you think there is a market for a player with a $20+ million dollar multi-year contract who doesn't play.
they have to find a way to dump him somehow maybe a buyout?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts