Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard from many people who caught AM1000 tonight that Donyell Marshall was offered and accepted a contract today. I received about 4 pms and a couple ICQ messages about it, so I'm assuming this is a legit story.

http://www.am1000.com <--- AM 1000's website link. I'm scouring trying to find actual text on the reported story, but haven't found anything.

So if this holds true, the next question is... Where does this leave Eddie Robinson now?

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
If this is true I think the Bulls got a serviceable player that can play 2 positions for them and help them rebound and score. I do not think he is a solution defensively but he is better than Rose and Robinson.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Well, if it's true, I think we got a pretty good player. He's still pretty young, but also has a decent amount of experience. The descriptions of his defense have me a little bit worried, but on the bright side, he can legitimately play the 4 as well, which should free up a little bit more time at the 2/3 for ERob, Hassell, and Crawford.

·
Registered
936 Posts
His eight years of experience all by itself will greatly benefit the Bulls. He'll make fewer mental mistakes and he'll have the respect of the game officials. With Jalen he will be a great help in controlling the pace of the game.

And while I can't speak for his ability to defend, there's no doubt he'll cause matchup problems when he has the ball in his hands. And last but certainly not least, we'll be getting a player that hustles at both ends of the floor. You've got to have a strong work ethic to start for a Jerry Sloan team. Donyell's going to be a great addition...once he accepts the Bulls offer.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Yes!

I like that Marshall has been on worse teams before and played pretty hard. If he has a good attitude about coming here, then I am all for it. After Rose, he is the only guy on the entire roster that has been a proven starter in the NBA. Like Rose, he can play 2 positions. There will be a lot of competition for playing time.

·
Registered
785 Posts
This is a good pickup for the Bulls. They needed some experience badly, and Marshall gives them insurance at a couple of positions. Like BCH said, he is not the defensive stopper the Bulls need, but he fills other gaps...scoring and rebounding. I do have some doubt whether he can score as he did last season without Stockton.

In the long run, this signing might backfire for the Bulls. Marshall is a role player...he might make the Bulls a little better now, but he's definitely not going to make them playoff worthy. He also hurts the caproom situation, so the Bulls are still going to go as far as JWIll, Chandler, and Curry takes em.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>local_sportsfan</b>!
In the long run, this signing might backfire for the Bulls. Marshall is a role player...he might make the Bulls a little better now, but he's definitely not going to make them playoff worthy. He also hurts the caproom situation, so the Bulls are still going to go as far as JWIll, Chandler, and Curry takes em.
I see Marshall as a legit starter in this league, not a role player. If he was your 7th man, a team would be pretty strong. We don't have cap space for a MAX player in the next few years unless we let go of all kinds of players (Bags, Craw, Fizer, etc). At the mid-level exception for 4 years or less, I like Marshall as much as anyone except Keon Clark and better than most (i.e. Hughes, George).

And no matter what moves Krause makes, the Bulls are only going to go as far as JWill, Chandler and Curry take them.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Originally posted by <b>HAWK23</b>!
I dunno, THE SCORE 670am hasnt said anything yet, they normally get this info also
The SCORE just reported that it's a done deal. This, of course, doesn't make it true, but it sure as heck is firming up quickly.

·
Registered
38 Posts
What does this mean?

For Chandler/Fizer/Baxter?
Marshall is more suited for the 4 than the 3, and Chandler and Fizer NEED the minutes there. I know he has, and can play the 3, but only with certain matchups.
I doubt we will sign Baxter now, unless we trade Fizer for a solid veteran point, or unless Chandler is going to be playing alot at the 5 (which I can see).
We have suddenly turned from a short handed front court, to a very solid, deep, and almost overcrowded frontcourt in 2 weeks with the signings of Blount and DMarsh.
Just a quick look at the front court positions and who can play there...
C) Curry/Chandler/Blount/Bags
PF)Chandler/Fizer/Marshall/Blount/Baxter?
SF)Rose/Marshall/ERob/Hassell/Mason

oh what the heck, the backcourt too...
SG)Hassell/Rose/Craw/JWill/Hoiberg/Mason
PG)JWill/Craw/Rose/Mason

Damn we are deep!, but is there enough playing time to go around?

The C

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
I am wondering what kind of deal we signed him to? I would have preferred Harpring, still, Marhsall is a pretty good player and I won't be dissapopinted if we don't overpay. He was asking for 10mil a year from Utah! And turned down an 8mil per year deal, so I have NO idea what the Bulls have offered him.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Re: What does this mean?

Originally posted by <b>CHawk</b>!
Marshall is more suited for the 4 than the 3

Damn we are deep!, but is there enough playing time to go around?

The C
Marshall can play either the 3 or 4. Some reports are that he prefers the 3 where he played mostly for the last 2 years b/c a certain PF was on the Utah roster.

Prediction: Look for another Rose-type trade at midseason. 4 for 2.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I like the move. It would be nice if Marshall were a couple years younger. I compare him to Eddie Griffin. Long, athletic, can block shots and can play the 3 or 4 - a little slow for 3, a little thin for 4.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Originally posted by <b>johnston797</b>!

I see Marshall as a legit starter in this league, not a role player. If he was your 7th man, a team would be pretty strong. We don't have cap space for a MAX player in the next few years unless we let go of all kinds of players (Bags, Craw, Fizer, etc). At the mid-level exception for 4 years or less, I like Marshall as much as anyone except Keon Clark and better than most (i.e. Hughes, George).

And no matter what moves Krause makes, the Bulls are only going to go as far as JWill, Chandler and Curry take them.
True, but why bother signing a player for the mid-level exception if he's not really going to make the team that much better? Didn't Krause already make this mistake with E-Rob? If I were Krause, and I knew the team was going to blow this season anyway, I would at least wait until next year when the pickings are real good and try and spend my money then. If a high calibre player doesn't sign, then maybe you sign a guy like Marshall.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
I don't see what mistake Krause made with E-Rob, the guy was injured last year....

·
Registered
785 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ace20004u</b>!
I don't see what mistake Krause made with E-Rob, the guy was injured last year....
Obviously the E-Rob signing was a mistake because they already brought in his replacement in Marshall.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Originally posted by <b>local_sportsfan</b>!

True, but why bother signing a player for the mid-level exception if he's not really going to make the team that much better? Didn't Krause already make this mistake with E-Rob? If I were Krause, and I knew the team was going to blow this season anyway, I would at least wait until next year when the pickings are real good and try and spend my money then. If a high calibre player doesn't sign, then maybe you sign a guy like Marshall.
Explain to me why Marshall does not make the team better. He can play 3 and 4. He played 30 mins/game for Utah for the last 2 years mostly as a starter and they were a solid playoff team. Rose is the only other guy on the roster that has played those kind of minutes for a decent team.

Rose can play the 2 at times as well and both can be on the floor with all kinds of combinations. With Rose and Marshall, you can add any three out of the rest of the players on the roster and field a team.

You could argue that teams should never sign a player for 4 to 5 Million a year and they should save cap space for the superstars. But it's teams like Washinton that will have cap room next year, not the Bulls that make me wonder why they would use the Exception this year.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts