Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He had 38 pts, on 14-24 shooting, and 14 assists. They took the Mavs to OT where they lost but those numbers are amazing nonetheless.

Penny had 19 as well.

Marbury has so much potential, because he is an excellent passer. That often gets overlooked because he is better at scoring.

I think too often this season, hes tried to be a passing Jkidd type PG and thats not him. He needs to be a score first PG, but find a balance with his passing so he doesnt turn into a ballhog PG. He does both very well.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
i dont think marbury has ever had the right 2 guard next to him. With Marbury you basically got a pg and a shooting guard all in 1. if you put a defensive SG who can knock down the open jumpers with him then your team is in good shape at the guard spot. He still had his best opportunity in Minnesota

Great game for him tonight though, hes just showing what most already know, hes a very good player.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
GREAT

Its sad they lost that won.

But it was a great game. Steph played sick.

PENNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knicks are getting adapted

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Honestly i dont think the knicks are that great of a team. I think they will put up numbers but wont get the W's. I hear Bill Lambier or was it Walton that said it anyhoo, Greg Anthony even guaranteed them the playoffs.

I still remain skeptical.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ScottVdub</b>!
i dont think marbury has ever had the right 2 guard next to him. With Marbury you basically got a pg and a shooting guard all in 1. if you put a defensive SG who can knock down the open jumpers with him then your team is in good shape at the guard spot. He still had his best opportunity in Minnesota

Great game for him tonight though, hes just showing what most already know, hes a very good player.
I don't see Kittles scoring a bunch of points as the Nets shooting guard right now. And he is covering for Kidd on alot of the faster PG in the league..., but he didn't play very well with Marbury.

I'm not sure that is what he needs.

-Petey

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Marbury's passing is definitely underrated. People still have the mistaken impression that Marbury is a shooting guard playing point.

He's very much got the natural play-making ability for point guard. In fact, if he didn't care a whit about scoring, I think he'd easily lead the league in assists. He wouldn't be as good a player, because his scoring makes him even more dangerous, but his passing skill is not lacking at all.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
His passing is only lacking because he hardly ever passes unless it is an assist pass.

He is simply holding and dribbling the ball too much.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Huge numbers and awesome finish in regulation, but a disappointing loss in OT. I was more impressed w/ Walker's triple-double.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Good game from Steph, and of course the Mavs filled it up.
But I think the Knicks are still missing more inside pressence. Also, I'm not sure how well Houston, Marbury, Hardaway, Van Horn will play together. I think it's sad that a good player like Kurt Thomas get lost in all of this

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Penny IS Steph's best backcourt mate. Both have incredible PG skills and both can create their own scores. A healthy Penny last year allowed Steph to move like a SG offensively and IMO that was one huge reason Steph was having such a good year last season. The Suns started Joe Johnson this season and suddenly Steph became a ballhog all over again. Coincidence? I think not.

Conclusion? I don't think Steph can work well with Houston, ever, unless he totally changed his game.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Originally posted by <b>A.W.#8</b>!
Good game from Steph, and of course the Mavs filled it up.
But I think the Knicks are still missing more inside pressence. Also, I'm not sure how well Houston, Marbury, Hardaway, Van Horn will play together. I think it's sad that a good player like Kurt Thomas get lost in all of this
Get lost??

Do you see the games?

This is the same guy who against Milwaukee put up like 28 pts and 16 rebs...most of those off running screen and rolls with Marbury...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Oh i see the games there *edited: No personal attacks*... If they prove me wrong I'll eat my words. But untill then, my opinion is rather valid. Steph is by no means a proven winner. He might be one of the most talented point guards in the game, but untill he and his teams start winning (last year as the exception), I won't believe in him. I think he'd be very frustrating to play with. Honeymoon's don't last forever. I hope I'm proven wrong

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Originally posted by <b>A.W.#8</b>!
Oh i see the games there *edited*... If they prove me wrong I'll eat my words. But untill then, my opinion is rather valid. Steph is by no means a proven winner. He might be one of the most talented point guards in the game, but untill he and his teams start winning (last year as the exception), I won't believe in him. I think he'd be very frustrating to play with. Honeymoon's don't last forever. I hope I'm proven wrong
*edited*?

Sorry that's not my name...I'm sure you can read, and at some point you'll be able to try again...

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I believe the Knicks honeymoon is just starting. They lost their first 2 games when Stephon came to New York and last night they lost to a team that really wanted a road win.

I think the Knicks will make the playoffs myself.

·
Premium Member
6,143 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BigAmare</b>!
His passing is only lacking because he hardly ever passes unless it is an assist pass.

He is simply holding and dribbling the ball too much.
Now u say it?????

Not to mention Amare lack of lowpost moves, try to use his athleticism to score on people in the post, elaborate my point, he score on face up only. This guy of player with no skills will become a scrub once athleticism fades rapidly.

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Originally posted by <b>John</b>!

Now u say it?????

Not to mention Amare lack of lowpost moves, try to use his athleticism to score on people in the post, elaborate my point, he score on face up only. This guy of player with no skills will become a scrub once athleticism fades rapidly.
We can't just assume that Amare won't develop an inside repertoire. Suppose, his athleticism won't fade any time soon so that really isn't an argument...

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Originally posted by <b>John</b>!

Now u say it?????
EXACTLY!!!

When the Suns give up on Joe Johnson BigAmare will start telling us what an inconsistent and soft player he is.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts