Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Wow. What does that mean for the Bruins?

The AHL Providence Bruins are also looking at alternate venues. PC's Schneider Arena has been mentioned. Brown's Meehan Auditorium could be another option. Both are within 1.5 miles of the DDC.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Pretty amazing that FGCU got Rhode Island to come down to Florida.

URI started the series with FGCU in Kingston back in the 2017-18 season just a few years removed from their NCAA Sweet-16 run. The return game was from the beginning initially set for 2019-20 but was put off. It was expected up until last night to occur this season was included in my schedule post of a few days ago. The URI AD however had a virtual town meeting yesterday and indicated that it was going to be put off once again with it now likely for 2021-22. He said that Rhode Island therefore was still trying to set up one home and home or neutral site game at a location such as Mohegan Sun with a top 100 team.

Rhody has recently done some equal home and home series with programs that were within a few years of some NCAA success. In addition to FGCU, URI scheduled Harvard, Middle Tenn State and Western Kentucky . Unlike many A-10 schools, URI does not typically do as many guarantee buy games as other league members. It has for the last several years played more than the average number of road and neutral site games than most of the A-10. Most recent URI OOC schedules have been near equal in the number of home and road/neutral site games.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Maine will host CCSU. If the NJIT news is true, and the league moves to an 18-game schedule, then Maine's non-conference schedule is full.

11/13 @ South Florida
11/18 Harvard
11/24 @ George Mason
11/28 @ Colorado
12/9 Merrimack
12/12 @ Fordham
12/22 @ Virginia Tech
12/29 @ Rutgers
TBA @ Columbia
TBA @ Quinnipiac
TBA CCSU

Edit: Merrimack game surfaced just as I hit post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maine will host CCSU. If the NJIT news is true, and the league moves to an 18-game schedule, then there's only one Maine game we don't know of at this point.

11/13 @ South Florida
11/18 Harvard
11/24 @ George Mason
11/28 @ Colorado
12/12 @ Fordham
12/22 @ Virginia Tech
12/29 @ Rutgers
TBA @ Columbia
TBA @ Quinnipiac
TBA CCSU
Merrimack on December 9th:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
This is the best Maine OOC schedule in a loooong time. It's going to be tough but Maine is a developing team with some promise. I think they are leaving their doormat days behind.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Is the playing of six money games by Maine due to the income loss by the pandemic? I know UNH was asked to pick up a fourth money game to help out but so far are having a tough time finding one that doesn't have them travel all across the country.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is the playing of six money games by Maine due to the income loss by the pandemic? I know UNH was asked to pick up a fourth money game to help out but so far are having a tough time finding one that doesn't have them travel all across the country.
No. This is a normal schedule for Maine. Arguably, last year's schedule was better. No guarantee that Fordham is a money game as they've traveled to Maine before.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
No. This is a normal schedule for Maine. Arguably, last year's schedule was better. No guarantee that Fordham is a money game as they've traveled to Maine before.
Ok so let's say Fordham is not a money game and could be a possible home and home. That still gives Maine 5 money games. What is the idea of scheduling like that? Is it the need for money for the program?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ok so let's say Fordham is not a money game and could be a possible home and home. That still gives Maine 5 money games. What is the idea of scheduling like that? Is it the need for money for the program?
They've averaged four or five money games a year for nearly a decade now. It's not really a foreign concept. Not everyone has a SOS in the 300s.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I think Maine will be much better prepared for league play after such an OOC schedule. You get better by playing better players and practicing what you learned. The more tough games the better if your W-L record is second to development.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
They've averaged four or five money games a year for nearly a decade now. It's not really a foreign concept. Not everyone has a SOS in the 300s.
It almost looks like a MEAC schedule with all of those money games. I guess the need for Maine must be different than other AE schools. Hopefully you guys can be competitive and keep those games close.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It almost looks like a MEAC schedule with all of those money games. I guess the need for Maine must be different than other AE schools. Hopefully you guys can be competitive and keep those games close.
Again, not sure why you're surprised by this so much. Just look at Maine's schedule the past few years. If you're going to go on the road, get paid and get better.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Again, not sure why you're surprised by this so much. Just look at Maine's schedule the past few years. If you're going to go on the road, get paid and get better.
I guess two reasons. One I haven't really looked at Maine's schedule in the past I guess. Two I've never bought into playing all of those money games and it helping a team out. I think that is BS. It doesn't help to go on the road for five-six games and no for the most part you have no chance to win. I don't buy into the fact that it will prepare teams for AE play and I don't think it does much for the kids. We had a coach at UNH that use to play 5-6 money games also and he would sell it as it would help him with recruiting because kids want to play in those big games and I never bought it. It does nothing for team moral to get your butt kicked that many times for a pay check.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just saw on twitter that NJIT will play at St. John's on 12/10.

I've also seen they will open up at Indiana.

Hoping they go back to Rutgers again too - they competed with the Scarlet Knights for most of the first half last year.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts