Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Is there a date? I wonder what their plans are since the trip to London to play Marist is off.
No date was given, unfortunately. Who knows, could come down to a couple of dates depending on how other games shake out.

Continuing with today's Rothstein Schedule Dump, Stony Brook will travel to Yale this year, beginning "a multi-year series."

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
With the new Iona game, plus the shortening of non-conference play with the NJIT addition...

1-3. Gulf Coast Showcase
4. at Alabama
5. at Clemson
6. Iona @ Mohegan Sun
7. vs. Yale (presumed)
8. at UNC-Greensboro (presumed)
9. vs. Dartmouth (presumed)
10-13. Unannounced

Cool deal about Mohegan Sun. Went to the tourney there last year, had a blast. Don't think the date is going to work for me this time around, sadly.

I do have some questions: are we the only game that day, or is this part of a "showcase" of some kind with other games in a single-day, non-tournament setting? If we are the only game, how well does Iona travel? Because as an example, there was a solid Vermont turn-out for the Saturday night tourney game...but hardly any CCSU fans, and the place felt empty. Even if CCSU had an equal turnout to what UVM showed up with, it wouldn't have filled the lower bowl. So it would be cool if it was a day-long thing with other fan bases showing up (there were some straggler UVA and St. John's fans filling seats for that Saturday night game).

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I do have some questions: are we the only game that day, or is this part of a "showcase" of some kind with other games in a single-day, non-tournament setting? If we are the only game, how well does Iona travel? Because as an example, there was a solid Vermont turn-out for the Saturday night tourney game...but hardly any CCSU fans, and the place felt empty. Even if CCSU had an equal turnout to what UVM showed up with, it wouldn't have filled the lower bowl. So it would be cool if it was a day-long thing with other fan bases showing up (there were some straggler UVA and St. John's fans filling seats for that Saturday night game).
CCSU has been horrible the last 8 years, do no surprise we had such a poor turnout. We used to draw well when hosting UMass and winning :(

This could be paired up with a URI game, as a double header which might help attendance.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
URI is already slated to play at Mohegan Sun in the HOF Tip-Off Tournament this year, its 3rd time in this event. It will face Marquette in a Saturday afternoon game and then either Minnesota or UCF on Sunday. I have heard nothing about URI playing another game there this season and would doubt so giving it already has two games at the venue.

Mohegan has hosted non tournament style HOF Showcase single day events in the last few years. These have typically been double or triple headers that have had one or two local teams to help drive attendance. URI played West Virginia in one of these back in 2018 drawing 5,812 (other games Dayton-Tulsa and Drexel-Quinnipiac). Providence College played Houston in 2017 in front of 5,518 (other game St John's-St Joe's).

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
New Hampshire's Updated OOC Schedule

$ Games
North Carolina State :Opening Night
VCU
Buffalo
TBD: Due to Covid-19 the Cats need to play an extra money game this season.

Away Games
Drexel:
Brown Bears Classic: (Brown, Boston University)
Dartmouth
Holy Cross

Home Games
Quinnipiac
CCSU
Keene State: Salute to First Responders Game

·
Premium Member
33,162 Posts
Schedules? LoL. We're working on schedules, we got people working in shifts on the schedule!!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
CCSU might not have joined the AE as a member, but the Blue Devils are scheduled to play at least 5 of the 10 members in 2020-21:

Nov. 10 at Hartford
Dec. 11 vs. UMass-Lowell
Dec. 15 at Stony Brook
Dec. 19 at Maine
Dec. 22 at New Hampshire

·
The People's Champ
724 Posts
CCSU might not have joined the AE as a member, but the Blue Devils are scheduled to play at least 5 of the 10 members in 2020-21:

Nov. 10 at Hartford
Dec. 11 vs. UMass-Lowell
Dec. 15 at Stony Brook
Dec. 19 at Maine
Dec. 22 at New Hampshire
they really should just join the AE.... they play at least 3-4 teams in the AE every year, they play Hartford every year. Hartford finds a way to lose every year against them too...

·
Premium Member
33,162 Posts
Kinda surprised nobody mentioned this yet, but Ivy League announcing no sports until at least January today. That should leave some holes in probably every AE school’s OOC schedules at minimum, at worst it’s likely the beginning of the realization that there still may not be college basketball next season.

·
Premium Member
33,162 Posts
UVM has tremendous fan support no matter who they play but it would have been cool to see Slick Rick roaming the sidelines at Patrick Gymnasium!
Slick Rick coming full circle; he’s already been there done that when he was coaching BU. Far fall for him to be at Iona, but probably won’t be long until it’s the best CBB team in all of New York.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
The Ivy League decision will impact every northeast conference. Probably even more so this year than others as many northeast schools deliberately scheduled more local opponents for OOC games to minimize travel risks.

Will this mean UNH loses the TWO games in Providence since it was slated to play in a tournament at Brown? Keep in mind that UNH is also losing the Dartmouth game as well.

·
Registered
580 Posts
First off, the Ivy League decision was entirely a political one. Bars are open in Massachusetts (and I'm sure plenty of Harvard kids are out-and-about), but the Ivy League won't let their student-athletes practice? Keep in mind that most Ivy Leagues ARE open for students this fall, they just like pushing "the world is ending; classes will be 100% on-line"....while they quietly invite 1,000's of their undergrads back into dorm rooms.

Makes zero logical sense. Sports, especially outdoor ones like Football and track/xc, are not anywhere near as dangerous as eating out at restaurants and going to bars. Last I checked Harvard's president wasn't railing against Gov. Baker's reopening plan.

I also don't know what canceling through Jan. 1 means for non-Ivy League play. I wouldn't be surprised to see basketball programs still at the very least have scrimmages/exhibitions with out-of-conference schools before Jan 1.

Remember when the Ivy League canceled their tournaments, they stated "Yale (regular season champ) will represent the Ivy League at the NCAA tourney." This leads me to believe that the Ivy League might not prevent winter sports teams from participating in non-conference play on their own.

Lastly, I'm familiar with Dartmouth's finances. They're hemorrhaging money right now and will be making cuts and layoffs that will make UVM's actions look tame. They're more than happy with canceling the football season purely for the financial savings--especially when they're opportunistically able to (indirectly) blame Trump's coronavirus response for the cancellation.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Slick Rick coming full circle; he’s already been there done that when he was coaching BU. Far fall for him to be at Iona, but probably won’t be long until it’s the best CBB team in all of New York.
It's a little different when Rick was at BU to who is he now. It's a much bigger deal with him coming to an AE arena today than it was when he was just starting out.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts