Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Gr8t Dane
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
November is in the books, and we have a couple games already played in December.

How you feeling about your team now? What is your current ranking of the teams?

My rankings are almost identical from the pre-season. Did the games in November mean anything?

Tier 1
1. UVM - No surprises here, but showing some weaknesses over the last week or so. I still see 14-2 or better in the league.

Tier 2 (these teams could be in any order really)
2. SBU - Still lost on offense, but defensively they are better than I expected
3. UA - Has been frustrating to watch, but explosive when putting it together. Seems to fall behind in every game, but then play well and come back to win or be close. I think Brown will have them playing full games by the conference season
4. UMBC - Odom seems to get the most out of what he has all the time

Tier 3
5. UML - This team can score! Unfortunately, they can't stop anyone from scoring
6. New Hampshire - This is the biggest surprise for me. A couple nice players and they are actually competetive
7. Maine - So many new faces, and players that play 40 minutes a game. Seems to be talent, but they are one injury away from falling to #9. Stay healthy and they could pull an upset of any of the teams above them
8. Binghamton - Can't score, can't defend. They need a change ASAP. Sessoms can't win games all by himself
9. Hartford - I knew they would be down, but I really thought the transfers would at least make them competitive. Most metrics have them as one of the 10 worst offensive teams in the country, and their defense in only marginally better than UML and Bing. Thats a bad combo!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I guess I've seen a different Binghamton team this year. Great ball movement and a solid rookie class; I suspect we will at least compete and ultimately end up in the middle of the AE pack this year.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Maine has had only one game where they came within 10 points of a team that played Division I basketball last season. 7th may be ambitious.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I think there is a lot of shock at how quickly UVM has come back to the pack. There are some deep flaws with them right now. Having said that, after one month it's clear that Stony Brook is now the clear favorite with everyone else sliding down a spot. One neat thing about OOC, right now the AE has a winning record in ooc games. It would be awesome if that held up.

·
The People's Champ
620 Posts
looks about right, only change is that, I think there should be a Tier 1B, and that's SBU. I think they are closer than we all thought they were to UVM.

UA and UMBC are interchangeable in tier 2

UML looks like they will give opposing defenses a hard time in AE play coming up. I'd put them on the border line of Tier 2 with their two snipers in Noel and Lutete

The bottom of the AE is tighter and a little unclear, but def. improvements from Bing and UMaine.

Lastly, I hope Hartford can find a way to put it together and play better overall team ball.. only 2 wins against D1 opponents, and have been really shaky their last 4 games...

·
Premium Member
32,587 Posts
Other AE teams are close to UVM like how, driving distance? Can't be talking about in basketball terms.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
According to the RPI rating UVM has a SOS of 107 compared to Albany which is 337. SB 168. This could account for the coming back to the pack mentality by some but I don't think so. I still see UVM as a big favorite to win the conference and tourney.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,251 Posts
1. UVM
2.SBU

3. UMBC
4. UA
5. UNH
6. UML
7. Bing
8. Hart
9. Maine

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
The problem with placing teams where we think they belong is Will Brown. Albany's regular season is meaningless. Will Brown has no problem coming up with a game plan that let's a game play into the 40 point range and pulling out a win. He's an expert at that! Once post season comes he will find a way to win the most ugly games imaginable. This is no sleight at all. He knows the bottom line is just win, no matter how you have to do it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
1. UVM
2.SBU

3. UMBC
4. UA
5. UNH
6. UML
7. Bing
8. Hart
9. Maine
I’m pretty close to this one, except I’d flip UMBC and Stony Brook and I‘d flip Binghamton and Hartford. I’m conscious that those changes don’t make much sense in light of what we have seen so far, but I really want to see UMBC play 5 games in a row with a full team before moving them down. With Hartford, they have so many new players that I think it will take longer to get an identity than most teams, but they have some talent that could figure it out at the right time.

Every year for the last 100, I’ve told myself that Binghamton might be the surprise team, and I’ve been wrong 100 times in a row. So I’m not falling for it this year. Which probably means this is the year they’ll finish 4th.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,251 Posts
I’m pretty close to this one, except I’d flip UMBC and Stony Brook and I‘d flip Binghamton and Hartford. I’m conscious that those changes don’t make much sense in light of what we have seen so far, but I really want to see UMBC play 5 games in a row with a full team before moving them down. With Hartford, they have so many new players that I think it will take longer to get an identity than most teams, but they have some talent that could figure it out at the right time.

Every year for the last 100, I’ve told myself that Binghamton might be the surprise team, and I’ve been wrong 100 times in a row. So I’m not falling for it this year. Which probably means this is the year they’ll finish 4th.
Stony Brook has been the far more consistent team thus far, although with all the injuries UMBC has had and the competition they've played it's hard to tell where they're going to be come conference time.

Teams 5-9 are all close enough in talent level that could all win or lose to one another on any given night. UNH has exceeded my expectations thus far, and UML has been a terrible disappointment.

·
Registered
425 Posts
1. UVM - I'd put money on a 16-0 regular season if Giddens and Shungu are back by 12/18 for UNCG.
2. UMBC - Odom is the conference's second-best coach, they have the most length (not really "size" though since they all weigh like 155 lb) and Vermont could very well struggle against them again.
3. UAlbany - Interchangeable with Stony at this point...they've shown flashes and will improve greatly when Lulka comes back (sounds like he's a like when conference play rolls around).
4. Stony Brook - Honestly haven't paid a lot of attention to SBU yet and have only watched a portion of that first Yale game...otherwise dropping double-digits to CAA squads isn't a good look. They come out so sluggish all the time in the first half and often can't recover from that.
5. UNH - Their relative success and ability to hang tough (for at least 20 minutes) with high majors has been the biggest surprise in the first month of action. Guadarama is a beast.
6. UMass-Lowell - Not a lot to see here. Lutete can be an offensive machine and we all knew that before the season started, but defense wins championships.
7. Bing - 7-9 is tough to figure out and these could be jumbled any other way. Haven't seen much from Bing and could easily see them drop down to the cellar.
8. Maine - Fleming has yet to really go off, but I expect he'll be on a mission for conference play.
9. Hartford - Grad transfers have been disappointing...or have they?

·
The People's Champ
620 Posts
According to the RPI rating UVM has a SOS of 107 compared to Albany which is 337. SB 168. This could account for the coming back to the pack mentality by some but I don't think so. I still see UVM as a big favorite to win the conference and tourney.
SOS of 107 and 168 is not too far apart.. ALso, UVM RPI in the 84s ish and SBU is 109... Am I that far off by saying maybe SBU is a little closer than we thought?

·
Registered
13,720 Posts
SOS of 107 and 168 is not too far apart.. ALso, UVM RPI in the 84s ish and SBU is 109... Am I that far off by saying maybe SBU is a little closer than we thought?
UVM non conference SOS according to KenPom is 50, SBU 218, Albany 321...SBU is much closer to UA in terms of both SOS and quality as a team then they are to UVM. Just my 2 cents.

As for UMBC, I know they are badly banged up but still SOS is 202, they are 2-4 against D1 comp with best win being 251 ranked Drexel. Hopefully they get some bodies back because right now that's not a good team with a brutal offense and Albany is actually better ranked then them on defense...granted, it's not apples to apples. Not to mention, UMBC has already played 3 non-d1's.

Right now for me it's

UVM - UVM is still the overwhelming favorite but recently no doubt there are some chinks in that armor. I said last summer they would take a step back and was killed for it. Anyone want to still argue they are better then last years team?
SBU
UA
UMBC
UNH
UML
Bing
Maine
Hartford

·
The People's Champ
620 Posts
ok fair enough. but looking straight at RPI then... 84 to 109... that's closer than we all thought right? I agree completely too on the step back this season, they did...

of course UVM is the overwhelming favorite, that's not what im saying, and that will not change this year unless Lamb get's hurt... All I mentioned was that, eye test tells me SBU has closed the gap some, and straight RPI tells us, they have as well

·
Registered
13,720 Posts
ok fair enough. but looking straight at RPI then... 84 to 109... that's closer than we all thought right? I agree completely too on the step back this season, they did...

of course UVM is the overwhelming favorite, that's not what im saying, and that will not change this year unless Lamb get's hurt... All I mentioned was that, eye test tells me SBU has closed the gap some, and straight RPI tells us, they have as well
Right now imo RPI is useless...I hate RPI period. What do their NET's look like?

EDIT: Apparently NET rankings aren't out yet, not sure when they start to come out.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts