Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some posts regarding teams and their coaching situation. I'd like to submit a name for you guys to look at: Jim Crews.

It is pretty well known that this is a one-year thing at Saint Louis with Crews, who took over for the great Rick Majerus in August. If SLU signs a new full-time coach after this year, would any AE teams be interested in Mr. Crews?

He's done a pretty good job this year, but the knock is that he's doing it with Majerus' style and players. But he can handle game days.

Anyone game?

·
Premium Member
17,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why wouldn't SLU want him?
SLU has stated that there is a coaching search going on right now. I would think a NCAA run may make this moot, but I know there's a lot of push here for a young coach like some of the other A-10 teams have that can be in the 'Lou awhile.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Send him to Maine...they can promise him quality of life, the least stressful job in the country (just graduate good kids, wins be damned), $99k/year (LOL, not kidding).

Holy hell, something needs to be done with that utter trainwreck of a MBB program & athletic dept!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Send him to Maine...they can promise him quality of life, the least stressful job in the country (just graduate good kids, wins be damned), $99k/year (LOL, not kidding).

Holy hell, something needs to be done with that utter trainwreck of a MBB program & athletic dept!
What are you talking about? Our hockey team just swept BC at BC for the first time since the early 90s, and is 3-0-1 in their last 4 games. The men's basketball team is coming off of a huge win over UVM and has shown it can play with the best in the AE. The women's team is improving every day and is so young, the sky is the limit.

Gosh, I could write for the BDN.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
Maine's wins have been few and far between this season, but of their 7 wins they have been some quality wins, so props for that I guess.

Northeastern, Florida Gulf Coast, Quinnipiac, BU, UVM

Not bad. Pretty Interesting

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
It's as if the Maine players get themselves up for the big games, in spite of the coaching staff.
No truer words have been typed on this message board...bravo!

·
Premium Member
17,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking that if Coach Crews were to move on, free home-and-home with the Billikens.

·
Examiner
727 Posts
Blaine Taylor is fired from ODU.. I think he is a great coach at mid-major level. Very defensive minded. He can be a big success again with one of the AE teams unhappy with the coaching situation currently.

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
Tough times for ODU. Bad season this year, firing their coach, and that move to Conference USA for football kills their hoops team. Yes the CAA is down, but CUSA from a basketball standpoint isn't even close to a relevant conference.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Kinda wonder if this isn't a blessing in disguise for him...

·
Premium Member
17,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Taylor was a pretty big name not long ago.

How the somewhat mighty have fallen.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Blaine Taylor is fired from ODU.. I think he is a great coach at mid-major level. Very defensive minded. He can be a big success again with one of the AE teams unhappy with the coaching situation currently.
That's crazy. He had averaged 25 wins a year the past 4 years. This year was abysmal, bit it seems like a really quick trigger.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Premium Member
33,191 Posts
ODU had some serious attendance for a mid-major. When UVM won there last year it was in front of 6,902. Wonder what that's been like this year? Can't imagine they will get anywhere near as good rivals as VCU/George Mason in their new conference.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Looking through Jeff Goodman's Twitter feed today there are allusions (not by Goodman, but by others) to Taylor showing up in various states of inebriation to A) Monday night's game and/or B) an installment of his coach's show within the last few days.

Not saying it's credible...but it certainly would explain how a guy who had that much success for that duration of time wouldn't even be allowed to finish the season, even if it was a 2-20 season.

·
Premium Member
17,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looking through Jeff Goodman's Twitter feed today there are allusions (not by Goodman, but by others) to Taylor showing up in various states of inebriation to A) Monday night's game and/or B) an installment of his coach's show within the last few days.

Not saying it's credible...but it certainly would explain how a guy who had that much success for that duration of time wouldn't even be allowed to finish the season, even if it was a 2-20 season.
If that's true, that's really going to cost him going forward.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts