Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Gr8t Dane
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This discussion was started in the AE Awards Season thread, but I figured I would start a new thread to see if anyone would be interested in participating. I am not thinking any monetary bets involved, but we could definitely come up with some bet/prize for the person who wins the league, and some punishment for the team that comes in last.

If you are interested, post in this thread. If you think it's a dumb idea, please move on and ignore the thread :)

I will post the original comment in the next post.

·
Gr8t Dane
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Originally Posted by RazorRamon
I would like to join this AE fantasy basketball league for next year, sounds pretty fun
Unfortunately there isn't a site that would completely run the points and stats for it to really work, but I would be open to participating if someone set something up, or could volunteer to help run something. Would have to be old fashioned roto style points taken care of through a thread on the league.
This would be my vision:
  • 10 Participants, league filled by the end of September.
  • Point Structure agreed upon by the group.
  • Since there are only 9 AE teams, each roster would be small - say each team has 6 players - thats 60 players drafted. The AE has 61 players that scored over 100 points this year, so it would be pretty deep.
  • Draft would be done in a draft thread, with the draft order picked via random.org. Snake style live draft, each person has 12 hours to pick, or they are autopicked by a predetermined ranking list, based on something like the ranking list above. If everyone is active, the draft would be done in a week, but if every single pick took the full 12 hours, it would take 30 days. I am betting it would probably take 2 weeks. If the draft starts on 10/10 say, it would be certainly be completed by opening day
  • Opening week and the final week might be combined into a week and a half or something like that to account for weeks with light schedules.
  • After the draft is completed, all undrafted players become free agents
  • Teams can make changes to their roster at anytime, but your roster is set for all the games of the week Mon-Sun on Sunday night at Midnight Eastern. (Example, drop a player to pick up a free agent on Tuesday is fine, but he wont enter your roster for points until the following Monday.
  • Person with the most fantasy points at the end of the regular season is the board champ.
Stats used for scoring points would be whatever the group decides. Official stats would be taken from basketball-reference.

Would there be 10 AE geeks brave enough to try it out? Could do an 8 team league also, which would allow for each team having better players, but being a geek, I would really like it to be a bigger league. It would give me a reason to follow the freshman on Maine's roster to see if he is starting to get more playing time. Would definitely make each participant follow teams they wouldn't normally care to watch.

·
The People's Champ
597 Posts
big fan of fantasy basketball, so I would be totally in. with you, that's 2 of us, so I think it'd be easy to find another 8....

·
Gr8t Dane
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We got 3 people interested so far. If we get 8 or 10 that are interested, we would then switch the conversation to the finer points:

1. Number of players on a team
2. Trade Rules and Waiver Rules
3. Point System for stats accumulated
4. Assign roles for league members to spread the work out, since this will most likely be a manual process of record keeping. Just like trying to play fantasy baseball in the pre-interwebs days.

·
Gr8t Dane
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am reserving this spot for the official list of interested parties. I will edit this when I see new people state interest. Being on the list doesn't confirm you will end up being in the league, just that you are one of the people that have interest so far. First come first served at the end of the day, but this will allow us to see who wants in.

Official List of Interested Participants
  1. Godanesgo99
  2. RazorRamon
  3. Green Baron
  4. WrenFGun
  5. umbc32244
  6. HOTDAMthe24
  7. gocats10
  8. popolamma

·
Gr8t Dane
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another thought, depending on the number of teams in the league, it might be wise to only draft 4 players per team, meaning a 10 team contest would go 40 players deep. It will keep the interest level high if someones first round pick gets injured. At least there should be a starter available on the waiver wire.

Anyway, just throwing out ideas.

·
Gr8t Dane
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Since no one here really knows each other, I am saying no money involved either (unless someone can find a reputable page like ESPN or Yahoo that would run the league and hold the funds.

I am thinking more of a gentlemans bet with a generic token prize for the team that wins, paid for by the last place team. Something like the team that loses has to go to a first round AE playoff game and find a way to get on the ESPN3/+/U broadcast with a sign congratulating the winner or something like that, even if it means storming the court. LOL. I don't know, but something fun.

·
Gr8t Dane
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks like we are up to at least 8 interested, so we have enough to actually run a league. I am hoping for 10, and 5 man rosters probably.

There is lots of time before next season starts to discuss the rules, in fact it will be a good topic for discussion over the slow days of the off-season. If you have ideas, thoughts on point structure, etc, post em up in here.

I am thinking that I will cap the number of people interested in joining at 14. First come first served. The league will only allow 10 players, but this will give a waiting list if people drop out or aren't around in the fall when it comes to actually finalizing the league and running the draft.

·
Gr8t Dane
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was playing with the draft order in the fantrax site that ZLK set up. There is a lot of work to do with the players that are listed and the default autodraft order. Anthony Lamb is near the bottom. There are players that have transferred out or graduated in the rankings, and some notable transfers into the league that aren't listed.

I am excited to play, and it appears the live draft is on Sat. Nov 2nd. Just need to figure out how to clean up the data and make sure everyone sets their draft order before the date or the league wont work.

If you aren't in the league, but want to play, make sure you PM me or Zak so you can get in.

·
Registered
275 Posts
did I miss the link? I may have signed up I just forget, what's the link again?
I have at least one AE enthusiast friend who is interested in joining.

Can someone also explain to me in detail how the draft works? You either gotta be there live to select, or make your preferred list before the draft happens?

Rather new to fantasy basketball in general.

·
Gr8t Dane
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have at least one AE enthusiast friend who is interested in joining.

Can someone also explain to me in detail how the draft works? You either gotta be there live to select, or make your preferred list before the draft happens?

Rather new to fantasy basketball in general.
It looks like he set it up as a live draft, but if you can't be on-line at that time, you can prerank your players and it will auto draft a team based on how you rank the players and the relative value of positions.

If you aren't in, or want to be in, send a PM to @Zak1785 ;with your e-mail address and he add you to the league and you will get sent an invite to register. It is free. We will just have to determine if we want to set up a side bet as a forum for anyone that wants to add a little fun!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts