Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The America East looks really bad right now. Maybe the winner of the conference tournament will be playing in the play-in game after all. The two most popular picks to be 1 and 2 in the conference lost to bad Northeast teams tonight, the favorite of the conference losing at home. Pretty awful. All the teams combined are 2-14. Time to step it up. Good luck to everyone.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Salz said:
The America East looks really bad right now. Maybe the winner of the conference tournament will be playing in the play-in game after all. The two most popular picks to be 1 and 2 in the conference lost to bad Northeast teams tonight, the favorite of the conference losing at home. Pretty awful. All the teams combined are 2-14. Time to step it up. Good luck to everyone.
Um, BU was one of the 2 most popular picks to be 1 or 2, and they didn't play tonight... Please get ur facts straight.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Binghamton was picked to finish anywhere from 2 to 4 in a lot of the publications and they lost to Mount St. Mary's tonight, a team who just recently got promoted to Division One and plays in the absolutely pathetic Northeast Conference. Al Walker needs to go.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Salz said:
Binghamton was picked to finish anywhere from 2 to 4 in a lot of the publications and they lost to Mount St. Mary's tonight, a team who just recently got promoted to Division One and plays in the absolutely pathetic Northeast Conference. Al Walker needs to go.
BU was the picked 1 or 2 by the few publications who know their stuff, and by most people on this board (and this board knows more than most if not all of those publications).

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Salz said:
First, MSM has been DI longer than any of the SUNYs. They have also been to the Big Dance, something that only UVM and BU can say from the AE. The Mount also has a great history in DII and had a legendary coach named Phelan, so please get your facts right befor you talk ****.

However, I agree MSM is not a very good team at all. They have finished near the bottom of the NEC the past 4 years or so. They have a good baller Landy Thompson, brother of the kid from GW, but yes, overall they are a weaker DI team.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Salz said:
Atrocious, yes.

It's really early, but BU looks FAR superior the rest of the league. Nice effort by Vermont tonight, makes me feel a lot better about their prospects in league play. The Bing game is not a huge suprise given that it was on the road, but the Albany result at home is downright shocking.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not trying to rip on the conference to be a jerk. I may go to one of the SUNY schools in this conference next semester. I'm just stating the obvious and that is that this conference looks really bad right now and needs some big wins soon. The Albany loss is a killer.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Salz, how come you didn't post anything after BU's great game Versus duke, or Albany's great win in the Coaches versus Cancer Tourney?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't think highly or lowly of the conference at the time. I just chalked them up as solid efforts by those two teams. But now at 2-14, and with the consensus frontrunner losing at home versus a bad team and other terrible losses, it's not looking good. At this point, I'd seperate BU from the pack because they are the only team that is showing any sort of respectability. But it is just the first week. I never said the AE will suck this bad all year. I'm not knowledgeable enough on this conference to make predictions. I was just looking through the scores of every team and thought, "Wow, this is awful" so I made a post about it. Ginzo, you're reading way to much into the post. Stop acting offended. I'm an AE supporter. Mid Major conferences all the way !

·
Premium Member
33,342 Posts
I still do not understand why people thought so highly of Binghamton going into the season, besides, of course, Bing fans and students.

They have lost to a Juan Mendez-less Niagara and now MSM....sheesh, wouldn't expect that the way some people spoke of Bing.

And Albany losing to Sacred Heart tonight? No need to talk about that any further, may as well let a sleeping dog lie. That just souldn't happen.

Maine getting smacked around by William & Mary, and losing to High Point as well......not good things so far, BU and Hartford have looked promising ,but at the end of the day they are still both 0-1.

The more I look around the league, the less I feel bad when a UVM player dribbles the ball off his foot out of bounds, because I'm not the only one that is being driven nuts by that stuff, and misery loves company :)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Phyr said:
Boston was lucky they only lost by 19. Don't count that as a moral victory.
Number 1, Boston lost to Duke by 17. Number 2 did you watch the game? They played unbelievable... Take care of your own team before talking trash about another in the Conference. If Binghamton played duke they would have lost by 50+, no lie. They are terrible right now.

·
The Invisible Iron Fist
1,253 Posts
Phyr said:
Boston was lucky they only lost by 19. Don't count that as a moral victory.
If by lucky you mean that used a great game plan to limit Duke's quality opportunities, and played confident, stong defense, and survived one of the most difficult atmospheres in college basketball, and still kept it close by playing D, even with a TON of turnovers, then yes, they were lucky.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
ginzo said:
Number 1, Boston lost to Duke by 17. Number 2 did you watch the game? They played unbelievable... Take care of your own team before talking trash about another in the Conference. If Binghamton played duke they would have lost by 50+, no lie. They are terrible right now.
Since Bing is bearing the brunt of the negative comments in this thread, I thought I'd chime in. Ginzo is right -- Bing has played pretty poorly thus far. That said, Niagara scored over 100 against St. Bonaventure in its second game, so I suspect they're a lot better than folks on this board have suggested. They may have lost their top scorer from last season, but they still have a bunch of guys who were on a team that went to the dance last year. Don't underestimate the effect that has on players. Just look at Vermont's performance against Providence. Despite the loss of two fantastic players, they were hardly overwhelmed by the Friars.

As for how the rest of the season will play out, here are a few things to remember:

1. The league is going to have a down year. We very well may be the worst D-1 conference in the northeast -- yes, Ace, even worse than the NEC. ; ) This shouldn't be a newsflash to anyone, so I hope everyone else can get beyond it and focus on more positive stuff. Speaking of which, here's hoping BU can make it three and a row against Michigan tonight at Agganis.

2. Bing has only played two games thus far. They have a lot of games left. All the first two games have shown is that Bing will lose when they shoot horribly. If they continue to shoot this poorly, they will not meet anyone's expectations. The question is whether they will get better. I think they will, just as they did last season, down the stretch. As much as I liked Billings, he was not a factor for the team down the stretch, so I don't think the absence of a true big man (or even a dominant player in the post, as Adediran could be from time to time) is going to prevent Bing from doing well.

3. As good as Albany may wind up being this season, they're probably not going to win 20+ games, so let's not read too much into one bad OOC game. As I've said before, they easily have as much talent as any team in the league, but still need to get used to winning, and winning doesn't always come that easily. I, for one, think it's much better for them to suffer a few bad losses now than later in the season. Hopefully, the Danes will learn from the experience and get better.

4. Bing plays #6 Oklahoma tomorrow, so rest easy, Ginzo -- we'll all see how well or how poorly the Bearcats do against a top-ranked team.

·
Registered
122 Posts
ginzo said:
Ginzo, are they terrible like you think Harvard is terrible?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Speaking of Harvard being bad...they just spanked Holy Cross 70-55. Perhaps this Vermont team isn't that bad.

8 point loss to a team that beats Holy Cross by 15 (and a few different bounces at the end and we could have won that game.)

10 point loss to a Big East team (within 6 in the last few minutes.) I know Providence isn't a good Big East team, but they do have some good yound talent.

The game against Nevada will really give us a good measuring stick...I'm still not convinced we can hang with them but our start has definately been better than the majority of the AE.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Grand Finale said:
Ginzo, are they terrible like you think Harvard is terrible?
No, they seem to be a lot worse. So you too think that BU was just lucky versus Duke and didn't play well then? thats pretty funny that Bingo fans are taking pot-shots at BU, and a game that BU played EXTREMELLY well, just about everyone on this board can acknowledge that except for you guys... I think its just the wounded animal syndrome, striking out at anything close, because Bingo has been so awful so far...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts