Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
I cant believe we got 100. I was listening to the game, and turned it off with like 5:30 left. I figured I'd be happy if we got up around 90.

Sounds like Cal N's D was awful, their broadcaster was saying Jose was passing straight through the 1-3-1 zone and they bit on fakes every time.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
MJ,

We schooled a pretty good Northridge team, but lost a close one at Cal in the finals of the Golden Bear 83-76.

Not to bi-tch about the refs, but we had 22 fouls called against us to their 8. They shot about 30 free throws and we shot 2.

Amazingly, Barea never went to the line.

I think even the most ardent JJB detractors indicate its HIGHLY unlikely he didn't draw at least one foul driving to the basket.

James had 14 boards and 10 blocks against CSUN (They revised the box score and gave him an additional 7 blocks after the initial release of the box), and 22 points and 6 blocks against Cal.

Granted Cal didn't have Powe - their best player.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Sounds like the BU game from this weekend... 2 foul shots, compared to 20 for Rider.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Right, and every year through 2010 - interesting he won't play NU when they have their best team in about 20 years.

He'll always be the Chicken Wolff in my book, regardless of his w's and l's over on Comm Ave.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Hey if you guys hadn't bolted, you'd have had two (maybe three!) cracks at us. Your conference switch is just as much a reason as any other that NU is not facing BU this year.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Right, and the fact that he agreed to the game, then unagreed when he didn't know the NCAA rules. He didn't want to play the game, that's for sure. His AD did, he didn't.

Pretty convenient he backs out on us when we're good and you're down.

BU is next out the door of the AE, so don't get holier than thou on everyone.

You guys have been looking to leave the league longer than anyone.

·
Premium Member
33,357 Posts
NU Hoop Fan,

Forgot to mention it, but congratulations on an excellent showing at the Golden Bear Classic. Almost stole one from the home team, but you have to be happy with that game because it was Shawn James' offensive coming out party. Good things are ahead for that kid.

As a NU fan, I would be real pleased with my team so far.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
HoopCat -

Thanks for the kudos. We had one stolen from us at Cal. The Bears had only 8 fouls called against them all night and we went to the line twice - and we didn't take a free throw the last 34 minutes of the game. The Northridge game is what surprised me. They're a Top 125 team and we just smoked them.

You guys are playing well too - thanks for beating HC - we've got them later this month, and I'm hoping they're on a downer. Good to see y'all played PC close as well, we have them on the 22nd down in Providence.

The funny thing about Shawn's game was that he had to play a bit cautiously as he was in foul trouble. I haven't seen the game tape yet, but I heard he had some good offensive moves on some big Cal players. He had like 16 blocks in the two games out there.

We're 4-1 which is where I thought we'd be, but we could easily be 5-0 going into our CAA opener at JMU. I'm hoping we can play well down there. The CAA folk boast about how hard it is to win on the road in that league, so a strong performance is a must against the Dukes. After that we have Towson at home, and they're not that good. Then we have exams, and return at Providence, at Wright State and home for Holy Cross.

I think we'll enter the new year 8-2.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
NU Hoop Fan said:
HoopCat -

Thanks for the kudos. We had one stolen from us at Cal. The Bears had only 8 fouls called against them all night and we went to the line twice - and we didn't take a free throw the last 34 minutes of the game. The Northridge game is what surprised me. They're a Top 125 team and we just smoked them.

You guys are playing well too - thanks for beating HC - we've got them later this month, and I'm hoping they're on a downer. Good to see y'all played PC close as well, we have them on the 22nd down in Providence.

The funny thing about Shawn's game was that he had to play a bit cautiously as he was in foul trouble. I haven't seen the game tape yet, but I heard he had some good offensive moves on some big Cal players. He had like 16 blocks in the two games out there.

We're 4-1 which is where I thought we'd be, but we could easily be 5-0 going into our CAA opener at JMU. I'm hoping we can play well down there. The CAA folk boast about how hard it is to win on the road in that league, so a strong performance is a must against the Dukes. After that we have Towson at home, and they're not that good. Then we have exams, and return at Providence, at Wright State and home for Holy Cross.

I think we'll enter the new year 8-2.

I think you guys have a really good shot at beating Providence. Their big guy, Hanke, just absolutely killed us, James should be able to neutralize him. I would have liked to play Providence later in the year with a little more experience under our belt. I think you also will beat HC, but I think they are a bit better than the showed tonight. They seem due to breakout soon.

The sad thing about NU leaving the conference is we won't get to see Shawn James play again at Patrick or in the AE tourney, he is just phenomenal. He made my draw drop on more than one occasion...... Reminds me of K. Roberson in a number of ways.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
NUHF,
I'm just givin you a little crap - you've been getting worked up about that game for months now. Look, you've got a new league, 2 great players, your best team in 10 years.... and you're PO'd about not being able to play "silber state" during a down year? I'm just saying you've got bigger fish to fry this year, let this one go-it's sounding a little whiny.

Regarding James, I read it somewhere (probably on this board!!) that he had 3 blocks against one of the Cal teams, which was then revised to TEN after the game(!) Damn, he must have been insane that night

1 - 20 of 25 Posts