Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://blogs.bulls.com/2012/07/who-says-the-bulls-arent-ready-for-2012-13/

The Belinelli and Hinrich stuff both were particularly interesting.

I like that Belinelli is saying he is better than Korver. Seems like he plays with a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

Hinrich is off the junk food diet, lost 20 pounds, and said he hasn't felt excited about playing since he was traded. Now drive, Kirk, drive. You're not an offensive liability when you are playing aggressive.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
http://blogs.bulls.com/2012/07/who-says-the-bulls-arent-ready-for-2012-13/

The Belinelli and Hinrich stuff both were particularly interesting.

I like that Belinelli is saying he is better than Korver. Seems like he plays with a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

Hinrich is off the junk food diet, lost 20 pounds, and said he hasn't felt excited about playing since he was traded. Now drive, Kirk, drive. You're not an offensive liability when you are playing aggressive.
I thought that was weird -- he got married and then went on a junk food diet? You married the wrong one, Kirk :-(

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that was weird -- he got married and then went on a junk food diet? You married the wrong one, Kirk :-(
Fairly certain he married his college girlfriend.

Since he kept his house in Chicago, I'm assuming he was not with his family much during the regular season. I'm assuming he probably does not know how to cook for himself and ate like crap.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Yeah, maybe. Still, very odd.

I think he was depressed.

Poor (in some sense at least) guy. Hope he'll be happier and more like he was toward the middle of his time with the Bulls.

Several people have made the point that Belinelli got fat when he came to the NBA, not because of junk food, but in order to survive the pounding. Someone else (Mike DC) made the point that Kirk hurt his game by bulking up to survive as a 2g.

Kirk in particular needs to speed up. I like that he's lost 20 lbs. Hope he can focus on that part of his game, and as you say, "drive".

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
The problem is everyone thought Kirk Hinrich was more than what he was. He was a good PG on a bad team, he never really improved and he turned into a mediocre PG. Hes not all of a sudden after all these years turn into something hes never been, hes a backup PG who is going to start for us, anyone who thinks we are going to get classic Hinrich is delusional.

As for Belinelli, his quote
“I think defensive player… not my best.”
pretty much tells me that the guy isn't going to get a ton of chances under Thibs, unless he actually improves.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
The problem is everyone thought Kirk Hinrich was more than what he was. He was a good PG on a bad team, he never really improved and he turned into a mediocre PG. Hes not all of a sudden after all these years turn into something hes never been, hes a backup PG who is going to start for us, anyone who thinks we are going to get classic Hinrich is delusional.
The guy averaged about 20 ppg in the playoffs against Miami in 05 and 06. He was alright.

As for what he is now? Who knows? I'll wait and see.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Yeah, not sure what's up with the junk food diet to begin with. I find it kinda of disturbing actually that a pro athlete would neglect his body like that. That'd be like me showing up to work drunk where I need to do paperwork for a living. I guess the underlying cause might've been Kirk being depressed. I've said in other threads that Kirk's downfall as a player seemed very premature and from what I saw of him, it looked like he's just lost his passion for the game. I remember as a rookie he always had a bounce to his step where he always played hard. Hopefully this excitement is both genuine and sustainable over the whole season. He'd be hard pressed to play any worse than he did last year.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Someone else (Mike DC) made the point that Kirk hurt his game by bulking up to survive as a 2g.
I agree with this. I kind of blame Skiles on this one, as he was the one who insisted on starting Chris Duhon for all that time which forced Hinrich to play 2-guard alot. There was also the problem with BG7's defensive liabilities. I actually thought Hinrich did pretty well as a 2-guard overall (more than most Bulls fans like to believe, at least), however in adapting to the role I noticed the weight gain and he lost some foot speed. I'm in no way expecting a revival of the 2004 Kirk Hinrich, but it's not absurd to think the 2010 version of Hinrich can return where he was a perfectly capable 10-12 ppg scorer and still solid defender, unlike last season with Atlanta.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Did anyone catch Kirk using the word, "preconceived" (correctly, assuming KC didn't fix it up for him) in his interview with KC? Brought back memories :)

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
As for Belinelli, his quote pretty much tells me that the guy isn't going to get a ton of chances under Thibs, unless he actually improves.

Korver is a pretty good model here. Korver was a bad defender, did improve under Thibs to be less bad, and got burn.

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
Sam misses the point, because he's, well, Sam. A complete moron.

"Michael was gone, the team lost more games. Bird was gone, Kareem."

First, Rose isn't in this league. He'll more struggle to be in a pod with players like Julius Erving, John Havlicek, Moses Malone etc. Any line of reasoning where you bring up Michael, Kareem, Magic, Bird, etc. should not have anything to do with Derrick Rose.

It's like talking about a Jay Cutler injury and bringing up Montana, Elway, Staubach, etc.

But the bigger issue is that it isn't about what this team is without Rose. It's about what this team will fail to be, without major changes, WITH Rose.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Sam misses the point, because he's, well, Sam. A complete moron.

"Michael was gone, the team lost more games. Bird was gone, Kareem."

First, Rose isn't in this league. He'll more struggle to be in a pod with players like Julius Erving, John Havlicek, Moses Malone etc. Any line of reasoning where you bring up Michael, Kareem, Magic, Bird, etc. should not have anything to do with Derrick Rose.

It's like talking about a Jay Cutler injury and bringing up Montana, Elway, Staubach, etc.

But the bigger issue is that it isn't about what this team is without Rose. It's about what this team will fail to be, without major changes, WITH Rose.
Sam's not comparing Rose to those players, like you are... He's simply stating that when a team loses its star, regardless of where that star falls on your all-time greats list, the team is going to suffer. That, is a fact, and a point, you cannot argue.

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
Sam's not comparing Rose to those players, like you are... He's simply stating that when a team loses its star, regardless of where that star falls on your all-time greats list, the team is going to suffer. That, is a fact, and a point, you cannot argue.
Oh I don't question the greater point. What I question is magnitude. To have credibility you need a line like, "now Derrick Rose is not THAT good, so maybe the Bulls drop 2/3s of the wins that Bird's Celtics did."

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Korver is a pretty good model here. Korver was a bad defender, did improve under Thibs to be less bad, and got burn.
Korver was also one of the hardest workers in that locker room. He was a team leader who really tried his hardest to improve a bit on defense, can Bellinelli do the same? I hope so.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts