Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear Yao Ming,

Yao you need to get out of International Competition now. Spending off season after off season with China is an albatross around your neck. The only reason you aren't considered a top 5 player at this point is the lack of development you make in the off season.

You will never develop as long as you are coached in China. They have no one who has/can coach a player of your talent. It shows so much. During the end of the last two seasons you were making good progress. Then after an off season of horrid coaching you come back unconfident and regressed.

I see your games. I don't know a single player who should be able to defend you on the low block. Take this off season and work with someone like Pete Newell, Patrick Ewing, or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. They will make you an amazing player. You're 24, now is the time to take your career by the horns and bring your game to an MVP level.

It wouldn't be unpatriotic to tell China that you're done playing for them in the off season. You've more than paid your dues. You've made basketball what it is over there.

Regards,
Amplifier

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Yao had a commitment to China, it's not his choice. I'm pretty sure it was part of the deal made that had China letting Yao go to the US. They also get half of his salary. We're talking about China here, not US or Europe.

·
Banned
7,135 Posts
What he needs to do is hit the damned gym and get some body strength and endurance. He's slower than Vlade Divac ever was. Everyone thought he was going to be a soft player, but he's not, just extremely weak. he can't complete at the basket when someone plays physical with him.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
sherwin said:
Yao had a commitment to China, it's not his choice. I'm pretty sure it was part of the deal made that had China letting Yao go to the US. They also get half of his salary. We're talking about China here, not US or Europe.
Exactly! The level of Yao's patriotism will be viewed differently by your average North American citizen than the Chinese government. Kevin Garnett can tell USA basketball he needs his rest in the off season, Steve Nash can tell Team Canada that he wants to spend the summer with his young family. Yao does not have the same privilege.

·
Banned
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jdg said:
Exactly! The level of Yao's patriotism will be viewed differently by your average North American citizen than the Chinese government. Kevin Garnett can tell USA basketball he needs his rest in the off season, Steve Nash can tell Team Canada that he wants to spend the summer with his young family. Yao does not have the same privilege.
Ask Wang Zhi Zhi.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Even if everything you say is true (first post), it just doesn't matter. Yao's gotta play for China. Its not an option for him, its a requirement. He could, of course depatriate, I suppose. But I think that's what it would take for him to get off the team.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Ming will do what's best for him. He could always fake injury or fatigue, too. Several NBA players have done it to avoid the Olympics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts