Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Andre Drummond spoke with SLAM Magazine at the big Jordan Brand event in Las Vegas last weekend about his new sneaker deal with the company. It's a fun Q&A, even if you're not a sneakerhead -- you can just tell how excited the 20-year-old big man is to represent a brand that he wore while growing up.

"As a kid, I always had Jordans in my closet, from 1 to 23," he said. "I had them all in all different kind of colors and styles. So to be a part of the family, it’s a blessing. It’s really exciting that they have an interest in me, seeing that I’m a player of their stature, to have me on the brand."

It's hilarious to see Drummond talk about being "a kid" -- he's 20 years old! He's not talking about the 1990s -- he's talking about a few years ago. But I digress. Read the article, it's fun, and it's a reminder just how much he's enjoying the ride without it going to his head.

One thing I did want to point out, though, is his answer to the question about what he's worked on this summer.

"This summer, I’ve been working on my back-to-the-basket game, I’ve gotten a lot more comfortable with it, both my right and my left hand," he said. "Stan [Van Gundy] is going to put the ball in my hands this upcoming season. So I have to really work hard on being comfortable with it, and I feel like I’ve done a good job of that this year, staying well-conditioned and becoming a lot more comfortable with the ball in my hands, making the right decisions."
http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2014/7/29/5949039/andre-drummond-stan-van-gundy-offense

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
Sounds dangerous.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Foul him! Immediately! Hack a Drummond!

He shot under 42% from the free throw line last year, until he brings that up to something even minorly respectable, he's going to struggle being an offensive threat game in and game out.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts

He shot under 42% from the free throw line last year, until he brings that up to something even minorly respectable, he's going to struggle being an offensive threat game in and game out.
Not sure I agree at all. While it would be great for him to improve his free throw shooting, to go as far as to say he'll struggle to be an offensive threat is going overboard since guys like Shaq and Howard have proven that just isn't true.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Not sure I agree at all. While it would be great for him to improve his free throw shooting, to go as far as to say he'll struggle to be an offensive threat is going overboard since guys like Shaq and Howard have proven that just isn't true.
Drummond is a high quality talent, but let's hold off before we start assuming he'll succeed because Shaq and Howard did. Shaq scored 23+ ppg as a rookie, and Dwight was a spaceman athlete.

Not to mention they were both shooting minimum 10% better from the line as Drummond. If he could shoot even in the 58% range from the field, then you can live with the good and the bad. Low 40's is all time bad, let alone bad for a high quality offensive player...that's Ben Wallace territory.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
According to reports Drummond has made it through tomorrow's round of cuts. I still don't see him making the final team, but we shall see. He didn't look like he truly fit during the scrimmage, making more than a couple bumbling mistakes (a poor outlet here, a fumbled rebound there...). However I don't think that the scrimmage is going to play into the decision making as much as it was a publicity thing. The entire game was wide open and didn't look anything like international ball. It was very much an "exhibition." I doubt the practice scrimmages look like that game did.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts

remember all those games the Lakers lost because of this strategy? yeah, me neither

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
remember all those games the Lakers lost because of this strategy? yeah, me neither
Yeah you're right, the 2014-2015 Detroit Pistons are clearly a championship level dynasty with multiple Hall of Fame players and one of the single greatest coaches of all time. Truly apt analogy friend.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Yeah you're right, the 2014-2015 Detroit Pistons are clearly a championship level dynasty with multiple Hall of Fame players and one of the single greatest coaches of all time. Truly apt analogy friend.
Its a better analogy than saying Drummond will struggle to be a threat offensively if you foul him.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Its a better analogy than saying Drummond will struggle to be a threat offensively if you foul him.
‘Hack-a-Dwight’ strategy leads to Blazers comeback

When asked if the Portland Trail Blazers would look to the “Hack-a-Dwight” tactic in their first round playoff series against the Rockets, coach Terry Stotts joked, “First possession, we are doing it.”

It didn’t come in the first possession, or any time near it, but when the Trail Blazers needed a comeback in the final minutes of the fourth quarter, the fouling began.

The Rockets led by 10 with 4:30 to play when the Blazers started fouling him. He would go 2-of-6 in the next two minutes while Portland went on an 11-0 run to come back and eventually send the game into overtime.

Howard finished 9-of-17 for the game.

“I just have to go up there and be confident and knock those free throws down,” Howard said. “I practice on it enough. I just have to make them.”

“That wasn’t the reason they won the game,” he continued. “I don’t think we valued a lot of the possessions.”

In the four regular season games the Rockets and Blazers played, Howard went 26-of-40 (65 percent) from the foul line. He is averaging 57.4 percent on free throws this season. Last year, when Howard played for the Lakers, his free throw percentage against Portland was also high. He hit 61 percent of his free throws against the Trail Blazers last year and shot 49 percent on the season.

The strategy can be beneficial regardless of Howard’s better-than-average free throw shooting, Stotts said.

“It prolonged the game for us, no matter what he did,” he said. “It gave us more opportunities.”

Center Robin Lopez said a big key for the Blazers in the series will be taking away some of Howard’s looks. That might mean fouling him when he is in good post position.

Howard had another miss with 25.5 seconds left in overtime that would have given the Rockets a two-point lead.

It wouldn’t be a surprise to see Portland resort to it again in the series.

“He has to be shooting under 50 percent to make it worthwhile,” Stotts said.

So Stotts will keep it ready if he feels like it will help Portland in the series.

“I think it has its place,” he said. “It can be disruptive at times and has helped some teams win. It’s an option that is always there.”
http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2014/04/hack-a-dwight-strategy-historically-hasnt-worked-for-blazers/#22590101=0

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
And Drummond averaged 13.5 ppg last year...see what I'm saying? I REALLY like Drummond, but let us hold off on comparing him to Shaq and other 20+ ppg scorers throughout history until he actually gets anywhere remotely close to that.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
And Drummond averaged 13.5 ppg last year...see what I'm saying? I REALLY like Drummond, but let us hold off on comparing him to Shaq and other 20+ ppg scorers throughout history until he actually gets anywhere remotely close to that.
And Dwight averaged 15.8 his second year. Not a big difference.

No one is saying hes Dwight or Shaq, but to just disagreeing that fouling him will completely take him out of the game offensively.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
And Dwight averaged 15.8 his second year. Not a big difference.

No one is saying hes Dwight or Shaq, but to just disagreeing that fouling him will completely take him out of the game offensively.
I gotta agree with R-Star here. Certain players are taken out of their game offensively by these strategies, but not all players. An example of a player being taken out of his game offensively by this sort of strategy is Rajon Rondo. Now I know Rondo is a better free throw shooter than Drummond, but that isn't the point. The point is: Rondo changes the way he plays on the floor because he's afraid of being fouled, to the point where it takes him out of his game. Shaquille O'Neal on the other hand, a much worse free throw shooter than Rondo, would still attack, attack, attack and did not change his approach as a result of the fouling.

Whether or not Drummond is limited in terms of being a scorer has less to do with his free throw shooting numbers than with how he approaches the game as a result of being hacked.

Additionally: 13.5, on 9.5 fga, in 32 min.
Dwight Year 2: 15.7, on 10.7, in 37 min.
Shaq Year 2: 29.3, 19.6, 40.

Shaq is obviously a completely different beast. But comparing Year 2 of Raw ****ing Dwight with Year 2 of Raw ****ing Drummond is completely viable. Dwight averaged 2 more points on 1 more shot. Basically if Drummond is given five more minutes on the floor and hammers home one more putback, he's putting up the same offensive numbers as young Dwight.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
Wow, didn't even mention the team once. Me me me
Did you just read the link, or go to the Slam article and see the questions? Because all they asked him about were his impressions regarding being a part of the Jordan group. They didn't give him a chance to talk about the team.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
Did you just read the link, or go to the Slam article and see the questions? Because all they asked him about were his impressions regarding being a part of the Jordan group. They didn't give him a chance to talk about the team.
What is this, a witch hunt?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts