Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Yeah you're right, the 2014-2015 Detroit Pistons are clearly a championship level dynasty with multiple Hall of Fame players and one of the single greatest coaches of all time. Truly apt analogy friend.
exactly what does any of this have to do with your hack-a strategy comment? nothing

hack-a-______ strategy usually doesn't work

and Phil Jackson mostly just didn't do anything when people were hacking Shaq so not sure why you brought him up (are you saying SVG is not capable of doing nothing? actually Shaq "Master of Disaster" might agree)

and if the Pistons lose or win it probably wont be because someone hacks Drummond as a strategy so the quality of the team isn't really a counter argument either

the strategy is a loser, you derail the game and give your opponent a 50/50 shot at points while disrupting yourself at least as much as your opponent (and BTW you're sending the message to your players that they cant compete straight up which is a loser too)

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
exactly what does any of this have to do with your hack-a strategy comment? nothing

hack-a-______ strategy usually doesn't work

and Phil Jackson mostly just didn't do anything when people were hacking Shaq so not sure why you brought him up (are you saying SVG is not capable of doing nothing? actually Shaq "Master of Disaster" might agree)

and if the Pistons lose or win it probably wont be because someone hacks Drummond as a strategy so the quality of the team isn't really a counter argument either

the strategy is a loser, you derail the game and give your opponent a 50/50 shot at points while disrupting yourself at least as much as your opponent (and BTW you're sending the message to your players that they cant compete straight up which is a loser too)
Phil Jackson did nothing because Shaq is a hall of famer and you're not taking him out. SVG can do nothing, but the Pistons are not the Lakers and Drummond is not Shaq, so the results do not correlate.

And I have personally watched the strategy work at the end of games, so your rhetoric is just that.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
So.... everyone in here disagrees with BlakeJesus but instead of saying "Guess I was wrong" or at the very least "Guess we'll agree to disagree" hes just going to lash out wildly.

And this is what is wrong with this forum.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Lash out wildly?

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Cool. Sarcasm.

Guess we both win.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I think Drummond's free throw shooting will get better. In college he shot just below 30%. His first year in Detroit, it jumped to 37% and in his second year it jumped to 41%. By no means is that a good percentage, but he's clearly improving every season, which IS good.

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Nah, just me.

Unless you want to post a series where Dwight scored 26ppg again as proof that fouling can make him ineffective offensively.
How about I find some quotes from the opposing teams head coach talking about how it's a viable option and has helped teams win games (including his team, in that game).

Oh wait! That has already been done. But clearly the consensus in this thread is more knowledgeable than actual NBA coaches and I am "wild" for disagreeing with the keyboard jockeys.

We have seen poor foul shooters get purposely fouled at the end of games for decades now, and we will continue to see it. Andre Drummond will be no exception to this when applicable.

SIDE NOTE: I've found, what I consider at the very least, a more realistic comparison for Drummond than Shaq (for the purpose of this discussion, because we are not talking about career trajectory). DeAndre Jordan! 10.2 ppg last year, so basically as close to current Drummond as 2nd year Dwight, and the only guy that actually shoots nearly as poor from the line (because Dwight and Shaq are both low to high 50's, while Jordan just shot under 43%).

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
How about I find some quotes from the opposing teams head coach talking about how it's a viable option and has helped teams win games (including his team, in that game).

Oh wait! That has already been done. But clearly the consensus in this thread is more knowledgeable than actual NBA coaches and I am "wild" for disagreeing with the keyboard jockeys.

We have seen poor foul shooters get purposely fouled at the end of games for decades now, and we will continue to see it. Andre Drummond will be no exception to this when applicable.

SIDE NOTE: I've found, what I consider at the very least, a more realistic comparison for Drummond than Shaq (for the purpose of this discussion, because we are not talking about career trajectory). DeAndre Jordan! 10.2 ppg last year, so basically as close to current Drummond as 2nd year Dwight, and the only guy that actually shoots nearly as poor from the line (because Dwight and Shaq are both low to high 50's, while Jordan just shot under 43%).
So, let me get this straight. Instead of comparing year 2 Drummond to year 2 Dwight, we're comparing year 2, 20 year old Drummond to year 6, 26 year old Jordan.

That makes perfect sense. Perfect comparison!

I am of course again being sarcastic. Your opinion is just getting more and more ridiculous as you keep trying to hold on to your initial moronic statement.

By the way, don't change your opinion now. It wasn't that fouling a big man with bad free throw shooting was a viable coaching tactic like you're trying to say now. No. Your initial opinion was that if you foul him "he's going to struggle being an offensive threat game in and game out." Your proof of that was Dwight averaging 26ppg in a playoff series.

There's nothing worse than posters who keep trying to change their opinion as a debate wears on.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Here's the thing about Hack-A-Whoever. It only works to a degree. At some point, your players will foul out and that creates mismatches. There's a reason coaches don't utilize it until late in games. Therefore, if Drummond gets even better offensively, he will be a beast because no team is hacking him in the first three quarters.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Here's the thing about Hack-A-Whoever. It only works to a degree. At some point, your players will foul out and that creates mismatches. There's a reason coaches don't utilize it until late in games. Therefore, if Drummond gets even better offensively, he will be a beast because no team is hacking him in the first three quarters.
Exactly. All signs point to this guy developing into a beast around the net. Especially since the majority of guys he'll be going up against are 4's masquerading as centers due to how weak the talent pool is these days.

In close games he may be fouled in the final minutes of the game now, where he'll probably be around 50% effective which isn't all that far off from just letting a regular play play out. To say that will keep him from being an offensive threat? I don't agree at all.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I will say this, though: if he doesn't improve his FT shooting, he will be ineffective in close games because either 1) he's missing free throws or 2) SVG won't have him in the game. And that's not something you want is putting your best player on the bench at the end of a close game. As bad a free throw shooter as Shaq was, he made his free throws when he needed to on many, many occasions. Drummond has yet to do that, but then again, he's yet to really face that sort of pressure.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
I will say this, though: if he doesn't improve his FT shooting, he will be ineffective in close games because either 1) he's missing free throws or 2) SVG won't have him in the game. And that's not something you want is putting your best player on the bench at the end of a close game. As bad a free throw shooter as Shaq was, he made his free throws when he needed to on many, many occasions. Drummond has yet to do that, but then again, he's yet to really face that sort of pressure.
Agreed. We've seen Dwight put on the bench before to close out games. Drummond is only going into his 3rd year though and finally has a great coach. I think he'll improve on that end. I could see him bumping it up the the 60% range.

Its without a doubt a hole in the young kids game.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts