Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Majerus to resign

Andrew Bogut has stated several times in interviews with Australian press (Majerus doens't allow his players to talk to the US media) that he came to Utah strictly because of Majerus. Will he go pro after his freshman season now that his sole reason for being there is gone? Or will he try to develop another year under a different coach? Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
he'll go to NBA

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I think he´ll stay, he´s not ready for the league just yet...

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
He should stay but won't

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
He should transfer to UNLV. He could average 25-15 here.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Why would he transfer. He should go pro before transfering.

Changing schools ALWASY hurts your draft stock.

He should go pro. He will be a top 15 pick and u cant ask for much more than that

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ThatBlazerGuy</b>!
Why would he transfer. He should go pro before transfering.

Changing schools ALWASY hurts your draft stock.

He should go pro. He will be a top 15 pick and u cant ask for much more than that
Jarvis Hayes transferring from W. Carolina (or where ever it was) to Georgia wasn't a mistake.

Dwayne Wade from (where ever it was he first played) to Marquette didn't hurt him at all.

Will Bynum from Arizona to Georgia Tech was good for his career.

Michael Thompson from Duke to Northwestern will likely be good, so he can be the star instead of riding the bench behind Sheldon.

I could go on and on. Transferring does not always hurt your stock.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
I do not think Hayes or Wade were stars before transferring. Hayes transferred cuz noone was noticing him, and he was destroyin bad competition. Wade had to leave cuz of his grades I believe, I remember hearin last March how he finally qualified at Marquette....

James White comes to mind tho.... he was a star. Was in the battle tested SEC, where he is on CBS every weekend. And still left.... and it hurt his stock.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RebelSun</b>!

Jarvis Hayes transferring from W. Carolina (or where ever it was) to Georgia wasn't a mistake.

Dwayne Wade from (where ever it was he first played) to Marquette didn't hurt him at all.

Will Bynum from Arizona to Georgia Tech was good for his career.

Michael Thompson from Duke to Northwestern will likely be good, so he can be the star instead of riding the bench behind Sheldon.

I could go on and on. Transferring does not always hurt your stock.
Dwayne Wade never transferred. He was a Prop 48 - that is why he missed his freshmen season

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JuniorNoboa</b>!

Dwayne Wade never transferred. He was a Prop 48 - that is why he missed his freshmen season
prop 48...he was acedemically inelgible his first year..is that what prop 48 means

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JuniorNoboa</b>!

OK, that would explain it. Regardless, saying transfering always hurts your stock is not right.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!

Bogut is a lotto pick two years from now. At present he is another Rick Rickert.
There are absolutely no similarities between Bogut and Rickert other then the fact that they are both white.

Bogut is a true post oriented, back to the basket type player. He's an amazing rebounder as well Other then Araujo, who else is there in the draft that's like him?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Originally posted by <b>cheezdoodle</b>!

There are absolutely no similarities between Bogut and Rickert other then the fact that they are both white.

Bogut is a true post oriented, back to the basket type player. He's an amazing rebounder as well Other then Araujo, who else is there in the draft that's like him?
Bogut didn't look very amazing when I saw him against LSU. They ate him alive. He couldn't even get his shot off.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
I don't see the lottery pick in Bogut right now. He is extremely slow and needs to fill out some more. He is suffering from the same thing that plagued Drejer when coming to America. The biggest transition Europeans have when coming to America is not the language or style of play but the fact that coaches will not adapt their system to you, no matter how good you are.

Case in point Kleiza and Bogut and in the past Songaila. Coaches need to work their system to cater to their best player, but not many coaches change their systems depending on the talent (Majerus, Calhoun, Boeheim). Not many coaches are going to make changes because you only get the kids for 4 years max, so it is better to go with what works. Ben Howland is a coach who does change his system to suit the personnel. At Northern Arizona, he ran a 3 point offense; at Pitt, it was mostly defense and half court offense and now at UCLA, it is a mixture of both, but once he gets top notch Cali recruits he will most likely be running and pressing.

I said all this to say, if you are a top notch European player you would be better off staying in Europe and going pro than coming to America, because they will not adapt the system to fit your certain skills (I had a friend in college who was crazy nice facing the basket, but the coach wanted to make him a big man post up player, so he went back home to Serbia so he could play his game and who can blame him) or you might get exposed due to the super physical nature of the American game (and make no mistake about it, I have never liked that style of basketball, it one of the reasons I usually can't watch Big Ten basketball because they want it to be ugly).

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
i think when bogut commented about going pro he mentioned european pro leagues also. he has looked real good at times and lost at other times. i see some of the same things with him as i do other players in the fact that they have no point guards to speak of to get them the ball. i dont see bogut having the lateral quickness to be a top notch powerforward. i do think though that if he puts on some lbs. he could be a quality center in the league. i think he would get some surprising interest if he does come out. a lot of scouts remember his stellar performances at the world juniors last summer. it seems unlikely he comes back to utah next season.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts