Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know he is (most likely) going to sign with Vermont. Anyone know how he fits in? what his game looks like? hes a 6'5" swingman who apparently can play the point. Would he be the starting PG?

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Where did you hear he was most likely going to sign with Vermont? He hasn't had any offer or indicated his interest at a higher level to my knowledge.

(edited for clarity)

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Depends on if Agel had an impact on him, the article was dated Feb. 24th. Hope he is still interested, honestly, landing *anyone* that was interested at this point will be a relief.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Hopefully he gets signed. Looks like we are going to have a fair amount of wing players though. We could really use another Center and maybe a couple Point Guards. Anyone know anything abuot that RJ Wilkins kid on scout.com? I'm disapointed about Thompson, although it sounds like he's been a lost cause for a while now.

Maybe we should save some of our scholarships for next year because this is a weak year for high school seniors, although that might not affect the level of recruits we get. Just a thought, next year will be rebuilding anyway.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Josh isnt much of a post player. He doesnt like to step inside the 3 point line. Plus, it's always good to have as many big guys as possible.

·
Premium Member
33,422 Posts
I would like to see Josh Duell develop into a Grant Anderson-type player. Grant was one of those high basketball IQ guys and solid with the ball, tough defender. I think Duell is already a better outside shooter, and he can develop the rest.

Duell should work on his ball handling this summer because he will be guarded a little more closely next year.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
UVM Hoop Cat said:
I would like to see Josh Duell develop into a Grant Anderson-type player. Grant was one of those high basketball IQ guys and solid with the ball, tough defender. I think Duell is already a better outside shooter, and he can develop the rest.

Duell should work on his ball handling this summer because he will be guarded a little more closely next year.

Grant was great, I would love to see Duell mold his game after him. I like Duell but he needs to get more aggressive and hopefully develop his inside game. Very promising future for him, IMHO.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I would enjoy having more than 3 players going through the 4/5. I think McCrory is more a 3. And Duell is much more of a perimeter player. Also, I have high hopes for Holm, but we also really don't know what he can bring to the table.

I talked to Arnold Henry tonight. He said that he hoped to play for us next year. He doesn't want to transfer. He was hoping to use this year as a redshirt year to keep his 4 years of eligibility.

From what I've seen from Henry in scrimmages (pick-up games) is he is really athletic, can't really shoot, and is much closer to 6'4" than 6'7". Still, he seems to have talent and hopefully his past troubles are in the past. He could still help us down the road.

I think we need 1 more post player, a point guard or 2, and maybe 1 more wing player. Lyell would fill that wing to go along with Sisca it sounds like. But right now all we have at point is Cieplicki who may be more of a 2 anyway.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I think Holm is going to be good. I was just saying that until we see him play theres no way of telling how good he'll be. Better to have more bodies to increase the odds that one of the players turns out to be someone that can help us.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
UVM is recruiting Lyell as a walk-on. I don't think he has any offers at this point, and besides, the kid would get minutes and be over Powlovich on the depth chart. If he doesn't get any offers from other program, he will probably end up at UVM.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
theycallmemattmo said:
UVM is recruiting Lyell as a walk-on. I don't think he has any offers at this point, and besides, the kid would get minutes and be over Powlovich on the depth chart. If he doesn't get any offers from other program, he will probably end up at UVM.
Mattmo, Have you seen Lyell on campus? How does he look? If I remember correctly, weren't a lot of school showing interest in him earlier in the season?

·
Premium Member
33,422 Posts
An under recruited guard from Rhode Island, huh? That seemed to work out for us last time.

Hmm, I'll take that risk on a walk on spot :)

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Looking at his stats, and the interest he has been getting, I am a little suprised that no one (including UVM) has offered him. Seems worthy an offer, doesn't he?
Obviously, it would be better if we could get him as a walk on, but given the dearth of point guards, it seems an offer would ice it. How many scholy's do we have? How many should we save for next year (no seniors next year)?

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Scholarships

I'm assuming the UVM program has the full capacity of 13 scholarships available to them in any given year...

Currently, 8 are accounted for...
*Klimes (JR)
*Holm (JR)
*Duell (SO)
*Schneider (SO)
*Cieplicki (SO)
*McCrory (SO)
*Sisca (FR)
*Green (FR)

I'd say that means there are still 5 available. Personally, I say you save no fewer than 3 for next season. This gives Lonergan the opportunity to target the kids you want next season, now that he'll have an entire year to prepare. This is the transition year...get the bodies you need to make it through the season (9 or 10, ideally), maybe you get a late steal if you're lucky...but next year is a real opportunity to add to the team without losing seniors, and also preparing for those eventual-seniors departure (barring the completion of this year's class, I'd definitely go after a post player in 2006, knowing that you'll lose 2 the following year).

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Lonergan is hoping to use 1-2 more scholarships. Recruit some walk-ons to fill out the roster, and possibly land some players in the transfer market. So GCG is right...basically he wants to save 3 for next year.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Mattmo,

How did Lyell look in playing with the team? What kind of break down can you give on his game? Have you seen Mcintosh play this weekend at UVM? How does he look?

Also, I am wondering if any current players on the team may leave due to the fact that the guys Lonergan is bringing in will almost certainly have starting rolls on the team and cut down on the playing time that the veteran players may have expected.. Just wondering if all the players are on board with the new direction.

PS - Im thinking that Omari Israel or Chris Low may be in the cards for transferees..

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
GoCats2001 said:
Mattmo,

How did Lyell look in playing with the team? What kind of break down can you give on his game? Have you seen Mcintosh play this weekend at UVM? How does he look?

Also, I am wondering if any current players on the team may leave due to the fact that the guys Lonergan is bringing in will almost certainly have starting rolls on the team and cut down on the playing time that the veteran players may have expected.. Just wondering if all the players are on board with the new direction.

PS - Im thinking that Omari Israel or Chris Low are in the cards for transferees..
I have not seen either of them play. I don't think any of current players are thinking about leaving, all of them are going to get PT, except Powlovich, who should just be happy to play at the D1 level. There is going to be a frontcourt rotation of Kilmes/Holm/Duell. McCrory and Scheider will both probably play the 3 spot, and then Sisca/Green/Ceplicki would rotate as guards.

If they brought McIntosh in he probably could play the 2 (Scheider could as well)

Most everyone will get their minutes next year right now, with current players there would be a Holm/Klimes/McCrory/Scheider/Green lineup I suspect, with Duell being the 6th man or something.

There is no need to worry about guys leaving. As for Chris Low, his chances of coming here are slim to none.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts