Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of A-10 material in here: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/andy_glockner/11/05/best-of-the-rest-primer/index.html

Under '20 impact players':
Rotnei Clarke, Butler
He was a deadeye sniper from the arc for three seasons at Arkansas and now, in his only year at Butler, Clarke will hope to provide the point guard play and marksmanship to propel the Bulldogs back into the national picture.
Langston Galloway, Saint Joseph's
A straight-up sniper who knocked down 46.6 percent of his threes last season while taking almost 200 of them. He's far from one-dimensional, though. He's averaged around five rebounds a game for two years.
Kwamain Mitchell, Saint Louis
He's the senior floor general who will be responsible for helping the Billikens live up to substantial billing, even without Rick Majerus on the sidelines this season. A solid all-around guard who has seen it all.
Khalif Wyatt, Temple
Wyatt didn't have the best offseason, but after emerging last campaign as a 17 ppg scorer, he should have plenty of shots this season as some of the Owls' roster has turned over. He's an excellent shooter from any area of the floor and also rounds out his game on the glass and with steals (2.2 per game).
Under '10 breakout stars':
C.J. Aiken, Saint Joseph's
The Hawks have their best roster since the days of Jameer Nelson and Delonte West, and Aiken's primed to burst onto the national scene. His length and ability to play on the perimeter will give Phil Martelli the flexibility to play big or small. He's not the Hawks' best player, but could be the biggest X-factor.
Troy Daniels, VCU
He made 38 percent of almost 250 three-point attempts last season. With Bradford Burgess having moved on, Daniels is easily the best returning perimeter shooter on a Rams team that will jack up a lot of them in their debut season in the Atlantic 10.
Juvonte Reddic, VCU
He's a huge key for the Rams in their move to the A-10. The only real size in the main part of their rotation, he'll have to be able to handle things on the glass against bigger bodies. If he takes a leap this season, the Rams will be uber-dangerous come March.
Chaz Williams, UMass
The Minutemen's minute guard averaged 16.9 ppg and 6.2 apg last season after transferring from Hofstra, so he's already broken out in a stats sense. Now, with UMass poised for a potentially big year, he'll became a much more well-known name nationally.
Under '10 deeper sleepers':
Kellen Dunham, Butler
Arrives in Indy with a major rep as a shooter, which is exactly what the Bulldogs need to complement Andrew Smith and Khyle Marshall inside. From early reports, he's going to make good on that promise.
Under 'Top 10 non-BCS teams':
3. VCU (Atlantic 10)
They may not win the Atlantic 10 in their debut season, but if a couple heralded freshmen come good to combine with the four starters returning from last season, the Rams will be the A-10 team no one wants to draw in the NCAA tournament.
5. Saint Louis (Atlantic 10)
How much the transition from Rick Majerus to Jim Crews will affect the system-based Billikens in unanswerable at this stage, but if the answer turns out to be "not much," then Saint Louis could win the A-10 and could improve on last season's Round of 32 appearance.
8. Butler (Atlantic 10)
The Bulldogs did not have good enough guard play last season and they were a horrid shooting team from the perimeter. Both those issues should be fixed this season with Rotnei Clarke and Kellen Dunham in the fold, which in turn should make Andrew Smith and Khyle Marshall more effective.
10. Saint Joseph's (Atlantic 10)
If Carl Jones can provide quality point guard play, the Hawks have all the makings of a very dangerous team. They can play very big or they can go smaller, given the flexibility of C.J. Aiken. Last season was a taste of how good they could be, especially if they get better statistical luck this season, too.
Here's Glockner's bracket. He's got 4 A-10 teams in the tournament: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...acket-projection/index.html?eref=twitter_feed

VCU: 6 seed (auto bid)
Saint Louis: 9 seed
St. Joe's: 9 seed
Butler: 11 seed

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
4 bids or 5 bids. Gerrr.

We got four last year and added VCU and Butler.

I'm calling a record 6 bids now, and it should be 7.

·
Registered
880 Posts
4 bids or 5 bids. Gerrr.

We got four last year and added VCU and Butler.

I'm calling a record 6 bids now, and it should be 7.
We only got the fourth because of Bonas winning the tournament and Xavier weren't definitely in at the start of the tournament.

I don't see how a conference as deep and even as the A-10 is, but without the cache of the Big East (whatever you think of that) isn't going to have a bottleneck of teams hanging around the first four out area.

Please don't construe this as me wanting eight pages of RPI discussion.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I love the fact that we're taking 4 to 5 bids as a starting point this year.
We should get 4-or-5 every year.

And the Bonnies were the 4th team, but in preseason last year they were predicted to contend. They struggled in non-conference after two injuries, and peaked late. Had they outlasted Illinois, Va Tech, NC State (games they lost at the buzzer, and by a couple possessions despite holding late leads) they'd have been in the at-large mix and we'd have had four projected all season long.

·
Resident Arachnid of the MPT
21,701 Posts
I think the over/under for number of bids should be 4.5.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I would've said four or five before the offseason troubles began (suspensions and injuries). A lot of conferences have issues, but this seems like more than usual this year. There should end up being 4 or 5 teams good enough for an at-large, but I fear the troubles will drag the conference down a little at the top and bottom, popping a couple teams' bubbles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts