Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Angels, largely dormant for much of the offseason, are on the verge of landing Blue Jays center fielder Vernon Wells in a blockbuster trade, according to major-league sources.

The Jays will acquire catcher Mike Napoli in the deal, sources said.

Wells was in Anaheim for a physical on Friday. Napoli and others in the deal must also pass physicals.

The addition of Wells, who enjoyed a comeback season in 2010, would reduce the sting of a difficult offseason for the Angels, who failed in bids for free-agent outfielder Carl Crawford and third baseman Adrian Beltre.

Wells, who is waiving his no-trade clause, is owed $86 million over the next four seasons. He likely would take over in center for the Angels, with Torii Hunter remaining in right.

The Angels had been trying to move Napoli as well as outfielder Juan Rivera, who will earn $5.25 million next season. Rivera also could be included in the deal, one source said.

The Jays likely would use Napoli as a catcher, first baseman and DH.
His arrival likely would preclude them from adding Manny Ramirez or another free-agent hitter.

Wells, 32, is waiving his no-trade clause. He is owed $86 million over the next four seasons. The Angels likely would use him in center, with Torii Hunter remaining in right.
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Mike-Napoli-Los-Angeles-Angels-of-Anaheim-Toronto-Blue-Jays-trade-012111
I am done as a baseball fan until 2013. Donnneee

·
Premium Member
23,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should be throwing a ****ing parade. Consider him the poor man's Joe Johnson (Contract wise) and he was just got dealt for an expiring contract that is still producing on the court and a good offensive player who doesn't play any defense.

As an Angel fan, I should be finding some rope and a tree.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
panic move by the Angels and what a horrible deal Wells has got like 90 mil left on his contract and ill bet that Napoli has a better season next year then Wells and Juan Rivera if he plays full time wont be to far behind...I really dont get this deal for the Angels

·
The Baseball Guru
12,161 Posts
You should be throwing a ****ing parade. Consider him the poor man's Joe Johnson (Contract wise) and he was just got dealt for an expiring contract that is still producing on the court and a good offensive player who doesn't play any defense.

As an Angel fan, I should be finding some rope and a tree.

co-sign

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
I was excited to see what Napoli could do for the Jays. They tried to acquire him in a deal for Roy Halladay but it never worked out. Oh well..another arm in the bullpen never hurts.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I don't think it is as terrible for the Angels as people are making it out to be. Yes, Wells is grossly overpaid, but there is little room/need for Napoli with Kendry returning at first and Hank Conger coming in at cacher this year. And IMO, Rivera is overrated. He has very little patience at the plate. Wells is finally healthy and coming off a very good season. The Angels badly needed an outfielder too, and missed out on Werth (which was a worse overpaying btw) and Carl Crawford. Wells isn't the impact player either of them are, but he can still contribute. He is also moving to left field, where he should be better defensively. He's an average defensive LF, Torii Hunter is an above average defensive RF and Peter Bourjos is a very good defensive CF. The outfield defense will be greatly improved from last year, which helps with fly ball pitchers like Weaver and Kazmir. Also, think about the OF in a year: Bourjos, Mike Trout and Wells, with Hunter and Abreu as well. That could even be the outfield rotation at the end of the year, depending on how quickly Trout develops.

At the end of the day, they probably shouldn't have made this trade, but they did, and it's not the end of the world like everyone is making it out to be. If Wells wasn't paid so much, people wouldn't even really be complaining. Obviously the trade was a lot better for Toronto by getting rid of Wells' contract, but the trade could still end up being alright for the Angels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts