Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright...Brett Favre is a future hall of famer and is one of the best QB's of this generation but I almost have to watch all nationally televised Packer games with the mute button on. Not only do broadcasters effusively rant about how great Favre is, and how there is no one like him but they always seem to bring up how he is such a great man as well. Both the ABC and ESPN guys do it and it is absolutly out of control. These guys act like he does no wrong on and off the field. He is not even the most key cog on that team yet the length that analyst go to praise this guy is ridiculous.

Watching that ABC game Packers vs Seahawks a couple of weeks ago was another example. They went on and on about the mistake Hassleback made in losing their playoff game but only glossed over how Favre made an equally disastrous play to ruin their teams season. I mean you can't make a much more bone-head decision than Favre did in tossing up that pick in the key moment of that game. Is there one analyst in all of America who is critical of Favre and realizes that he has shortcomings both as a player and a person?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
He's great, but even as a Packer fan, I see that it does get out of control. But it was the same with Elway and Marino, and it will probably be the same for Manning and McNair, so I guess that all I could tell you, in the nicest way, is deal with it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ill say another thing im sick and tired of hearing, retirement talk. The past three years we've heard Brett might retire. Every offseason its the same thing. Either shutup about it or dont speak til he actually retires.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Originally posted by <b>#1BucksFan</b>!
Just like him for what he is, the toughest QB in football and the best competitor in sports since Michael Jordan.
I would beg to differ. I think you can count Steve McNair as tougher and a half dozen qb's as competitive.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jazzy1</b>!

I would beg to differ. I think you can count Steve McNair as tougher and a half dozen qb's as competitive.
disagree with you. McNair is a helluva player and tough man, but Favre has just done it for so much longer. As far as the key cog on the team, i might disagree. I know Ahman is awesome but QB is a much harder position than RB. The packers could probably replace Ahman with a decent 1000 yard back through the draft, but hard to replace a legendary quarterback. Hell even a previous #1 overall pick just got cut.

And people don't give Hasselbeck **** because he made that mistake, its because he had to balls to say they were going to score and win the game. He probably didnt even know it was being Mic-ed but who cares, he made the statement and didnt back it up. You can credit the Packers loss in the playoffs to the defense, not the offense.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DaBruins</b>!
disagree with you. McNair is a helluva player and tough man, but Favre has just done it for so much longer. As far as the key cog on the team, i might disagree. I know Ahman is awesome but QB is a much harder position than RB. The packers could probably replace Ahman with a decent 1000 yard back through the draft, but hard to replace a legendary quarterback. Hell even a previous #1 overall pick just got cut.
I'd agree that Brett is tougher than McNair (he's been dealing with injuries that should've put him out for weeks, but he hasn't missed time), but Ahman Green and the offensive line are the focal point of everything the Packers offense runs off of. Brett Favre is a shell of the QB he was, and all he does now is sling the ball, he was always a gambler and that made him great because his gambles paid off but now he's even more of one, and it's not so good.

And people don't give Hasselbeck **** because he made that mistake, its because he had to balls to say they were going to score and win the game. He probably didnt even know it was being Mic-ed but who cares, he made the statement and didnt back it up. You can credit the Packers loss in the playoffs to the defense, not the offense.
Hasselbeck isn't to blame for that loss against the Packers, the receivers and Shaun Alexander didn't come through. And Alex Bannister ran a weak route allowing Al Harris to intercept the ball.

Also everyone talks about 4th and 26 but overlook the fact that Brett Favre had a chance to win the game in OT. He saw Ike Reese coming free right in his face, and instead of taking the sack or throwing the ball away he threw it deep where it was picked off by Brian Dawkins. It was a terrible pass and the only two people in the area to catch the ball were Lito Sheppard and Dawkins.

Anywhere else, or any other QB, and they would've gotten at least an equal amount of the blame for the loss, but to Green Bay all they talk about is 4th and 26.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts