Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Say Cheese
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After they showed the Wisconsin and NC State victories, they showed the regional breakdown. When talking about the Wisconsin-NC State, they said something along the lines of. "Wisconsin has never lost to a lower seeded opponent, but NC State will be favored in this one".....I beg the question, why in their minds in NC State going to be favored? This in my mind points to the ESPN love for the ACC. Although NC State has been impressive in victories of Charlotte and UConn, they didn't look like a Final Four team. In the Charlotte game, Charlotte was ahead big early, and looked as though they would win up until midway through the 2nd half.....UConn also looked like they were going to win early, but NC State somehow found a way to win late.

My point is, NC State hasn't been dominant, and Wisconsin hasn't shown anything to say they should not be favored to win.

What do you guys think?

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Well, I do think NCSU's wins over UNC-Charlotte and UConn were much more impressive than the Badgers two single digit wins over double digit seeded teams. Wisconsin has had a much easier path to the sweet 16, and hasn't exactly dominated the teams they played. I think the game is pretty even, neither seems like they should be favored by much. I'm pulling for Wisconsin and think they can pull it out.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
What is the line on the game? It wouldn't surprise me that NC St opens as a slight favourite. NC St has played very well lately - in the last 10 games they have played like a 6 seed.

·
Say Cheese
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JuniorNoboa said:
What is the line on the game? It wouldn't surprise me that NC St opens as a slight favourite. NC St has played very well lately - in the last 10 games they have played like a 6 seed.
I don't know what the line is, but ESPN is now hyping up NC State like they are title contenders, and saying that NC State is going to be favored against Wisconsin....That is like saying UWM should be favored against Illinois because their win streak is longer....NC State has strung together some nice victories, but Wisconsin came into the tourney the better team and has done nothing to be looked at as the weaker team....

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Well I do think they have done something that could be worthy of being looked at as a weaker team; close games against weak opponents. Dont let the Kansas game fool ya, Bucknell isn't a good basketball team, nor is Northern Iowa. I mean 5 and 9 point wins aren't awful or horrible, but it doesn't look very impressive and state is a much better team than anyone they have played in the first two rounds. They will need to play better than they have so far to beat NCSU.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Since when has ESPN had any effect on Vegas betting lines?

The smart money is saying NCSU is the way to go, is ESPN wrong for reporting that?

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
The Wisconsin bias is affecting you a little too much there Mr. Tosa. The truth is this is a rather weak Wisconsin team and if they didn't get great matchups they would not have made it to the Sweet 16. I've watched this team all year, been at the home games, and they're just not the same team as they were last year. We don't really even have a star on the team. NC State on the other hand fought through a much tougher conference (which DOES matter and quite a bit during tournament time), and they have a bonified All American level player in Julius Hodge. I hope we win, but NC State is definitely deservedly the favorite.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nimreitz said:
The Wisconsin bias is affecting you a little too much there Mr. Tosa. The truth is this is a rather weak Wisconsin team and if they didn't get great matchups they would not have made it to the Sweet 16. I've watched this team all year, been at the home games, and they're just not the same team as they were last year. We don't really even have a star on the team. NC State on the other hand fought through a much tougher conference (which DOES matter and quite a bit during tournament time), and they have a bonified All American level player in Julius Hodge. I hope we win, but NC State is definitely deservedly the favorite.

We don't have a star, but we have a ton more depth than NC State does. Last time I checked, one man teams don't fair very well in the tourney either so that's fine by me if we don't have a star.

One more thing....in toss ups I like coaching matchups, I'll take Bo Ryan in this one over Herb Sendek

·
Registered
62 Posts
apelman2 said:
We don't have a star, but we have a ton more depth than NC State does. Last time I checked, one man teams don't fair very well in the tourney either so that's fine by me if we don't have a star.

One more thing....in toss ups I like coaching matchups, I'll take Bo Ryan in this one over Herb Sendek
They ride Wilkenson like a clydesdale, he's one of the best players no one knows about. If he was black he'd be a lotto pick. Tucker ain't bad either.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Bl_ckB_st_rd said:
They ride Wilkenson like a clydesdale, he's one of the best players no one knows about. If he was black he'd be a lotto pick. Tucker ain't bad either.
We ride Wilkinson? Than how come our two leading scorers in the first game were Kam Taylor 'the Chris Rock look alike' with 16 and Scharif Chambliss 'transfer guard from Penn St.' 15?
We spread the ball out, not as good as UNC might, but we're an above average group.

Heh, I don't know how to respond to your second sentence.

·
Say Cheese
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nimreitz said:
I agree with you on most points, but all I am saying is ESPN is totally overlooking Wisconsin, and what they have done this season, probably due to the fact we are without a bonafide star. If Wilkinson, like the poster above me mentioned, were in the ACC, he would be mentioned as a potential lottery pick imo. Regardless of who we played to get to the sweet 16, we are here and we shouldn't apologize for our opponents. What have we done to show that we are the weaker team? Going 6-2 in the last month of the season? Please....we are a good, well coached team, but since we are not in the ACC, we are viewed as the weaker opponent.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Bl_ckB_st_rd said:
No. I've watched every game this season. Wilkenson is a fine player, but unless he got 10 times more athletic at the same time as he became black that's just crap. Good stroke, but it's inconsistent. Good rebounding, but he can't really get off the ground. Decent post moves, but he can't really go left. And he's painfully slow.

I think the team is comming together at the right time, but this is probably the worst Wisconsin team since either DHar's freshman year or the year after Bennett and before Ryan. Not saying it's a bad team and I'm cheering for them wholeheartedly and living and dying with every posession, but I really don't think this is as good a team as previous UW teams.

Oh, and basketball is probably the one sport where one player actually CAN take an entire team on his back and carry them to some wins. Especially a talented player like Julius Hodge. Honestly, outside of Chris Paul and MAYBE Jarett Jack, he's probably the best player in the best basketball conference in America. I mean, in current overall basketball ability I think he's probably top 5 in the country.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts