Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I just started watching basketball, and I have a complete nebie question! I'm sorry if I bother you with it, but I figure you're kind to one of your own..!?

If we for example take New Jersey Nets, what is important to win? The atlantic league, or the conference league? Or does the conference only count! Or how does it work?

And does the winners of the western NBA and eastern NBA meet eachother in a final or something?

Sorry to bother you!

· All my teams suck
8,675 Posts
Welcome, doggy! :cheers:

Not exacly sure what you're asking, but I'll see if I can answer.

The Nets are in the Atlantic Divsion. There are two other divisions in the Eastern Conference. The Central and Southeast Divisions are the other two. The Nets have won the Atlantic Divsion. The Pistons have won the Central Division. The Heat have won the Southeast Division. No one has one the Eastern Conference yet, however. That is determined in the playoffs. Who ever comes out of the Eastern Conference is the Eastern Conference Champ. They play whoever wins the Western Conference championship in the NBA Finals. If you need me to elaborate more, I can. :biggrin:

· Registered
2,551 Posts
Wow how old are you??
You really dont know anything??
What sports do u watch??

-Self proclaimed biggest nets fan

· Registered
2,982 Posts
If ya wanna be a Nets fan yer definately gonna need to invest in some TUMS.

The only thing that really matters in an NBA championship, after that being Eastern Conference Champs, and Atlantic Division Champs are 2nd, and 3rd respectively but are more like door prizes compared to getting a ring as an NBA champion. You want to win your division to shore up one of the top 3 seeds in your conference and have as good a record as possible because when teams meet in the post season the team with the better record has home court advantage. If two teams meet with identical records than whoever beat the other team more in the regular season gets home court advantage.

· Banned
57,945 Posts
reganomics813 said:
If ya wanna be a Nets fan yer definately gonna need to invest in some TUMS.

The only thing that really matters in an NBA championship, after that being Eastern Conference Champs, and Atlantic Division Champs are 2nd, and 3rd respectively but are more like door prizes compared to getting a ring as an NBA champion. You want to win your division to shore up one of the top 3 seeds in your conference and have as good a record as possible because when teams meet in the post season the team with the better record has home court advantage. If two teams meet with identical records than whoever beat the other team more in the regular season gets home court advantage.
That sums it up.

Welcome to BBB.net, sure you'll love it here.

-Petey

· Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone! So tonights game against Bucks wasn't a game in the atlantic "tournament"? Then what was it? And when I look at the tables for the eastern conference, all the teams have points and stuff.. It looks like the conferences has started.. Have I misunderstood?

Sorry to bother you with theese questions!

AJC NYC said:
Wow how old are you??
You really dont know anything??
What sports do u watch??

-Self proclaimed biggest nets fan
Hi! I'm 19 years old, and have played basketball 17 of them or something! But I've never paid any attention to NBA.. I'm from Norway, so I've only watched the Norwegian championships..

In addition to basketball, I watch NFL, and soccer..

· Registered
8,413 Posts
mtrock said:
Hi! I just started watching basketball, and I have a complete nebie question! I'm sorry if I bother you with it, but I figure you're kind to one of your own..!?

If we for example take New Jersey Nets, what is important to win? The atlantic league, or the conference league? Or does the conference only count! Or how does it work?

And does the winners of the western NBA and eastern NBA meet eachother in a final or something?

Sorry to bother you!
We have to teach u a lot! But dont worry, we at the nets forum r always happy to help.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
mtrock said:
Thank you everyone! So tonights game against Bucks wasn't a game in the atlantic "tournament"? Then what was it? And when I look at the tables for the eastern conference, all the teams have points and stuff.. It looks like the conferences has started.. Have I misunderstood?

Hi! I'm 19 years old, and have played basketball 17 of them or something! But I've never paid any attention to NBA.. I'm from Norway, so I've only watched the Norwegian championships..

hmm if you are like fan of premiership soccer i can probably explain it to you.

· Registered
8,413 Posts
mtrock said:

1st, the its called the atlantic division(teams in this division: knicks(NY),nets(NJ),sixers(Philly),celtics(Boston), and the raptors(toronto).
whoever of these teams have the best win-loss record wins the atlantic division and guarnteed a top seed in the playoffs(the actual tournament for the trophy).
those numbers u r confused by are the seedings or other words, each teams' placement in the tournament/playoffs. right now, detroit are the number 1 seed in the east; therefore they would face the 8th seed(the last place in the playoffs/tournament). only 8 teams in each conference can go to the playoffs/tournament to actually have a shot at the trophy.

· Registered
1,034 Posts
I will try and sum up what everybody basically said.

First off, an NBA season is defined as who can win the most games out of 82 and try and win 16 playoff games, which means they win the NBA title. To get to that point, the team must overcome some obstacles. A season is 82 games long. There are 30 teams in the league, and every team in the league plays eachother at least once. Now for the Nets. They are in the Atlantic division along with The Raptors, Knicks, Celtics, and 76ers. Divison leaders, meaning Central, Atlantic, Southeast for the East and Pacific, Southwest, and Northwest for the west are guaranteed the top three playoff seeds for their respective conferences. 8 teams per conference are guaranteed playoff spots. Now lets say two teams are tied record wise, say 45-38. The way the playoff seed is determined is by season series of the two teams, meaning when these two teams played, which team won more games. Lets say Team A beat Team B 2-1, Team A would get the higher seed. Playoff matchups go as followss: 1 plays 8, 2 plays 7, 3 plays 6, and 4 plays 5. In the playoffs, it goes First ROund, Semifinals, Conference Finals, Finals. In the finals the Eastern Conference Champ plays the Western COnference Champ. Playoff series are at max 7 games long. The game against the Bucks was a regular game basically for playoff positioning.

· Registered
8,413 Posts
mtrock said:
Oh, I don't think I need any help with soccer of NFL, it's just some of the things with NBA that confuces me..

Now, I think I understand better!

So Nets is seed number 3.. But does that have anything to say, since the seeds are random anyway?
Why hasn't Philadelphia or Boston gotten any seeding number, and why does it say 0 behind New York and Toronto?
And what was tonights game? Did it have anything to do with the playoff? Has the playoffs started anyway?

That was alot questions! Thanks for beeing so kind to me!

This is the table I'm talking about anyway: http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Div.html

Edit: Okey, I saw the explanations at the bottom of the page now.. But I don't understand it completely.. what does it mean that a team is clinched? (I'm from Norway, so I'm not a glossary expert!)
clich means that the team have secured that spot in the playoffs.
Example-Lets say the pistons win 70 games and lose 12 and currently have the number 1 seed. if another wants to be the number 1 seed in the playoffs, then they have to not lose 13 or more games.
Different and more realistic scenario: Lets say the heat and nets have the same record (50-32) and are fighting for the second seed. since they are tied record wise, their placement is then determined season series wise. the nets have won the season series against the heat, meaning during the four games they had against each other, the nets won 3 of them, thus having the nets at the 2nd seed.it is difficult to understand, i still dont understand it 100% either.

· Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since NJN have only played 76 games, does that mean it is 6 games left of the first stage of NBA? And when those games are played, the playoffs are played, and the two winners of the western and the eastern conference, will play against eachother in the NBA finals?

Hope I haven't misunderstood completely..

· Registered
7,115 Posts
mtrock said:
Since NJN have only played 76 games, does that mean it is 6 games left of the first stage of NBA? And when those games are played, the playoffs are played, and the two winners of the western and the eastern conference, will play against eachother in the NBA finals?

You got it. Only about half the teams participate in the playoffs--the best eight teams in each conference. After the "regular season"--that is, the 82-game season--those teams are detemined, and the real fun begins.

Reactions:

· Banned
22,910 Posts
mtrock said:

You're on the right track.

The Nets have 6 games left in the regular season.

Then the playoffs start, which have the teams with 8 best records from the east and the 8 best records from the west. The teams go up against eachother in a best of 7 series to advance to the next round.

The brackets are set up like this:
#1 plays #8
#4 plays #5
#3 plays #6
#2 plays #7

So as an example for now, in the East, Detroint (#1) would play Chicago (#8) in the first round, and the winning team would take on the winner of Cleveland (#4) vs. Washington (#5).

So the East and West brackets play out, and the winners of each conference face off in the finals.

Hopefully that clears it up/wasn't too confusing..

· Banned
22,910 Posts
mtrock said:
Okey, now I understand better! Thanks.. But can someone explain to me about the clinching? In the explanation at the bottom of the page (results) at nba.com, it is told about clinching.. I don't quite follow..
Once someone clinches, it means that there is no way they can miss the playoffs, even if they lose the rest of their games.

· Banned
57,945 Posts
Dumpy said:
You got it. Only about half the teams participate in the playoffs--the best eight teams in each conference. After the "regular season"--that is, the 82-game season--those teams are detemined, and the real fun begins.
What's sad about Basketball compared to Baseball, more than half the teams make the playoffs.

-Petey

Reactions:

· Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
ToddMacCulloch11 said:
You're on the right track.

The Nets have 6 games left in the regular season.

Then the playoffs start, which have the teams with 8 best records from the east and the 8 best records from the west. The teams go up against eachother in a best of 7 series to advance to the next round.

The brackets are set up like this:
#1 plays #8
#4 plays #5
#3 plays #6
#2 plays #7

So as an example for now, in the East, Detroint (#1) would play Chicago (#8) in the first round, and the winning team would take on the winner of Cleveland (#4) vs. Washington (#5).

So the East and West brackets play out, and the winners of each conference face off in the finals.

Hopefully that clears it up/wasn't too confusing..
Okey, that helped me alot! Thank you!

I did't think you would be this nice to me! :clap:

Edit: By the way, when is the draft for the playoffs? When will we know who the Nets are playing against?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.