Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
So the Navy game rebounding was an issue. This game BU couldn't really stop Loyola from scoring (53% shooting), while BU had their problems scoring (34%). Javante and Suk did fine (12 for 24 combined shooting), but the rest of the team did not do as well (9 for 38). As we saw in the out-of-conference schedule, there are multiple players who can produce but lately most of the team has had trouble finding their groove. Even in loses the games are still competitive to the end, so I think if something clicks for someone these loses will turn to wins again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So the Navy game rebounding was an issue. This game BU couldn't really stop Loyola from scoring (53% shooting), while BU had their problems scoring (34%). Javante and Suk did fine (12 for 24 combined shooting), but the rest of the team did not do as well (9 for 38). As we saw in the out-of-conference schedule, there are multiple players who can produce but lately most of the team has had trouble finding their groove. Even in loses the games are still competitive to the end, so I think if something clicks for someone these loses will turn to wins again.
My sense from the beginning was that this was a team that might take some time to put things together but that they'll get better as the season progresses.

Positives so far: Suk and McCoy are showing up every night. That's a good foundation to build on. Whyte and EBW just came back from injury so let's just chalk it up to them being rusty and maybe even give them a mulligan for a couple of games. Once Whyte gets into the flow of the offense, they'll have 3 strong options. I think Harper will work through the shooting woes and EBW will show better in the upcoming weeks.

Negatives: The team might miss Nevin Zink more than expected. He was supposed to fill one of the three man rotation of frontcourt bigs but now the team only has Suk and a promising but raw Chimizie. Also the depth that I thought would be a strength is not really there yet. Not enough offensive firepower off the bench. Hoping EBW will provide that spark.

Going forward: It seems the guys really like playing together and supporting one another. Whyte and Harper keep things loose and there's good overall leadership and camaraderie. This team will eventually rise or fall by how cohesive they can get defensively. It's a good thing they were tested early on by Navy. They now know to what level they need to be at to have a shot at the league title. Now they just gotta go out there and get better each and every game and try to peak during the playoffs. We've seen in past Patriot League playoffs the top ranked team get upset. If Navy falters, BU has a shot. Even without an upset, at their best I think BU can definitely hang with Navy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My sense from the beginning was that this was a team that might take some time to put things together but that they'll get better as the season progresses.

Positives so far: Suk and McCoy are showing up every night. That's a good foundation to build on. Whyte and EBW just came back from injury so let's just chalk it up to them being rusty and maybe even give them a mulligan for a couple of games. Once Whyte gets into the flow of the offense, they'll have 3 strong options. I think Harper will work through the shooting woes and EBW will show better in the upcoming weeks.

Negatives: The team might miss Nevin Zink more than expected. He was supposed to fill one of the three man rotation of frontcourt bigs but now the team only has Suk and a promising but raw Chimizie. Also the depth that I thought would be a strength is not really there yet. Not enough offensive firepower off the bench. Hoping EBW will provide that spark.

Going forward: It seems the guys really like playing together and supporting one another. Whyte and Harper keep things loose and there's good overall leadership and camaraderie. This team will eventually rise or fall by how cohesive they can get defensively. It's a good thing they were tested early on by Navy. They now know to what level they need to be at to have a shot at the league title. Now they just gotta go out there and get better each and every game and try to peak during the playoffs. We've seen in past Patriot League playoffs the top ranked team get upset. If Navy falters, BU has a shot. Even without an upset, at their best I think BU can definitely hang with Navy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agree. The development of the bench will be critical. There is not a lot of experience on the bench and this will be a work in process. Hey, it’s only the first week of January.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Also the depth that I thought would be a strength is not really there yet. Not enough offensive firepower off the bench. Hoping EBW will provide that spark.
I think this role is screaming to be filled by Brewster, Tate and/or Morales... but Tate hasn't played in a couple games and Brewster and Morales have been nearly invisible.

Rough loss!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts