Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard this earlier today on KNBR680 (Bay Area sports radio). Supposedly, the Warriors are getting greedy and St. Jean (or should I say Chris Mullin) wants Nash to take Eschmeyer off his hands also. This is the deal St. Jean wants to get done according to KNBR:

Golden State Receives:

- Rasheed Wallace
- Wesley Person

Portland Receives:

- Erick Dampier
- Nick Van Exel
- Evan Eschmeyer
- 2004 First Round Pick

Person and Sheed have expiring contracts at the end of this season, so Golden State gets a whole lot of money to spend this offseason. They would probably try to re-sign Wallace and go after Kobe. I don't know why Portland would do this. Dampier is great, but you might not even have him after this year (player option). Van Exel's knees are very questionable. Who knows how much longer he can go? Plus Portland doesn't need any more guys with questionable character issues on the team. And finally, why the hell would Nash want to take Eschmeyer? He has four years left on a crazy contract (for his skill level, at least). Even with the first round pick, I think Golden State robs Portland in this situation. But even from their standpoint, I don't know. They pick up Wallace when I thought they wanted Troy Murphy to be their PF of the future. Person is just a space clearer, but with the amount of money they will have to spend this offseason they will probably make a run for Kobe. Now Kobe plays the SG, where they already have Jason Richardson. J-Rich and Murph would arguably be G-State's best players after this deal. You figure it out, because I can't.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Would the Warriors give up all that talent and a 1st just to clear cap room?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Not a bad trade for either side, but like Mavs4Life said, it doen't do a whole lot of good for either team. As a Warriors fan, I don't like giving up our 2004 pick just to get rid of Eschmeyer. I might think of dealing Pietrus since he hasn't shown a lot thus far, but our first round pick - nope. Hopefully St. Jean feels the same way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
is it just me or does this deal make no sense for Portland? What's the point of adding Van Exel when they already have a shoot-first PG who has a bad attitude? And I'm not convinced in Erick Dampier their. Has anyone else noticed that he hasn't done a damn thing up until this year, which... wait a second... it's the last year of his deal! SHOCKING!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts