Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it's a trend:

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/bulls.asp?id=124913

On Tuesday when the Bulls resumed practice at the Berto Center, coach Scott Skiles imagined Sweetney without so much weight.

“I’d like to see, at some point in his career, for him to get I guess what I would refer to as really fit,” Skiles said. “Because I think he’d be one of the better bigs there are.”

Skiles immediately tried to downplay the comment. Why offer any complaints when Sweetney just averaged 19.0 points and 12.3 rebounds over three games?

“It’s kind of silly, really, to even talk about it,” Skiles added. “I just want him to keep playing well. He did a nice job on the trip.”

Sweetney shouldn’t be confused with heavyset former NBA players such as Oliver Miller or Stanley Roberts. But in the past few years, the Bulls saw how losing weight helped Eddy Curry and Elton Brand become faster down the floor and quicker on their feet.

“There’s always room for improvement, and I do agree with (Skiles),” Sweetney said. “Basically, I could get better and I’m going to get there.
I’m comfortable here. I’m happy here. So I’m just playing basketball right now,” Sweetney said.

“I don’t take (questions about his conditioning) personally. I just know that’s my body type, and it’s something I’ll have to deal with the rest of my life, basically.”

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
19 and 12 over three games? Reminds me of a pf we used to have! That's all-star numbers. Of course it's just 3 games. But the three games were on the road.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Sorry, but it really makes me cringe when I see Skiles say stuff like that in public.

It looks like public pressure on the kid to lose weight, which might get the guy thinking of diet pills.

I do not think his weight is an issue. With 19/12 kinds of numbers, he is proving that he IS one of the better PF/C types in the league - he has to do THAT for the long haul to really prove it.

If skiles wants to help the guy, get him a nutritionist and run his *** off in practices so he loses weight. It doesn't have to be a public spectacle.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
DaBullz said:
Sorry, but it really makes me cringe when I see Skiles say stuff like that in public.

It looks like public pressure on the kid to lose weight, which might get the guy thinking of diet pills.

I do not think his weight is an issue. With 19/12 kinds of numbers, he is proving that he IS one of the better PF/C types in the league - he has to do THAT for the long haul to really prove it.

If skiles wants to help the guy, get him a nutritionist and run his *** off in practices so he loses weight. It doesn't have to be a public spectacle.
For some reason...I percieve Sweets to be made of sturdier stuff than Curry (no pun intended).

I don't think he'll do anything silly.

He averages 24 minutes a game, but played 32 in LA. I think it will continue to climb.

·
Registered
67 Posts
DaBullz said:

So what if he takes diet pills. Millions of people take them every day with no problems.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
So what if he takes diet pills. Millions of people take them every day with no problems.
It really depends on the type of pills he would take. Many have some nasty side effects.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
step said:
It really depends on the type of pills he would take. Many have some nasty side effects.
Pills aren't a healthy way to lose weight. They contain all kinds of things that aren't good for you - like massive doses of caffeine. Taking pills does nothing to change the lifestyle that is the actual cause of the weight gain.

It's like this:

1. Eat all the pizza and Chez Jacques you want and take the pills

or

2. Eat a sensible diet and exercise accordingly.

Most people who lose weight on pills or other fad kinds of diets gain the weight back. The constant loss and gain of weight kills people.

·
Registered
718 Posts
DaBullz said:

so you'd rather have Skiles single him out at practice in front of his peers? Sound to me like Skiles and Sweet are on the same page when it comes to his weight.

“There’s always room for improvement, and I do agree with (Skiles),” Sweetney said. “Basically, I could get better and I’m going to get there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
DaBullz said:
Pills aren't a healthy way to lose weight. They contain all kinds of things that aren't good for you - like massive doses of caffeine. Taking pills does nothing to change the lifestyle that is the actual cause of the weight gain.

It's like this:

1. Eat all the pizza and Chez Jacques you want and take the pills

or

2. Eat a sensible diet and exercise accordingly.

Most people who lose weight on pills or other fad kinds of diets gain the weight back. The constant loss and gain of weight kills people.
Im sorry but this post is not correct. I believe in a sensible diet and exercise for weight loss however thermogenics has a place in cutting out fat as well. A cup of coffee has more caffeine than most thermos and no one has lost weight taking these products alone. The most effective thermo ever has been a combination of caffeine, aspirin, and ephedra but since the pharmaceutical companies could not profit from it it was quickly outlawed, but not to worry as a federal judge in Utah has ruled in favor of ephedra manufactures and ephedra will soon be legal again. Although no insurance company will probably insure ephedra products so oh well.

I got a little off my point but to recap exercise, healthy diet and proper supplementation are all integral aspects in maintaining the proper weight.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Skiles is going to be around a while, so we better get used to it. You ask him a question - he gives you an answer. Personally, with so much PC garbage being spoken by so many in the public eye, I find Skiles refreshing.

I loved Sweetney's responses. With his body type, he'll never be mistaken for Horace Grant, but if he could gradually (and naturally, please) lose 15-20 lbs while improving his conditioning, he could be a better player. He gets it. I really like the kid.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
This might be big stretch, but it can only be a good thing for his work ethic that his hard work is being rewarded both in playing time and in improving his play

·
Registered
387 Posts
I know it is reality, but I cant imagine doing the amount of physical exercise these guys do and not burning off the fat in a month. They (Sweets, Curry, Big O etc) have really odd metabolisms and body structures. As long as the guys works hard and watches what he eats, thats all you can really ask.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
mgolding said:
I know it is reality, but I cant imagine doing the amount of physical exercise these guys do and not burning off the fat in a month. They (Sweets, Curry, Big O etc) have really odd metabolisms and body structures. As long as the guys works hard and watches what he eats, thats all you can really ask.
It's the dietary law of thermo-dynamics. If your caloric intake is more than what you burn, you'll gain weight. Guys that big eat a lot more than you might think...

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Skiles will probably always be a micro-manager, its just his nature. Can't say that I always agree with his subtle motivational tactics, but he is who he is so to speak. What I found encouraging from the article is Sweetney's response. Kind of a different tone that what we're accustomed to hearing from our young players the last couple years.

I haven't watched many Bulls games this year.. but does anyone think that Sweetney's weight is in any way hindering his effort or production on the court? Only b/c if the kid is producing, who should really care what he looks like doing it?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I'll put it this way...no one can grab rebounds when he's under the basket...because they cannot get to the basket.

But if they could, almost anyone could out jump him for them. He's not explosive...but losing some weight and gaining some mobility will help him bundles with the increased defensive attention to come.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts