Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Very interesting. I'm just trying to think of whom Ainge might want. It will be very exciting in the next week.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Whatever you think about Ainge there certainly always is action around him.
This season seems to be awash so he might as well do some more trading.

·
Registered
348 Posts
L.A. Clippers trades: PF Elton Brand (20.1 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 3.7 apg in 38.6 minutes)
L.A. Clippers receives: PF Chris Mills (20.1 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 3.7 apg in 38.6 minutes)
SF Ricky Davis (13.7 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 3.6 apg in 31.4 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -6.4 ppg, -7.1 rpg, and -0.1 apg.

Boston trades: PF Chris Mills (20.1 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 3.7 apg in 38.6 minutes)
Boston receives: PF Elton Brand (20.1 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 3.7 apg in 34 games)

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Originally posted by <b>voice of reality</b>!
L.A. Clippers trades: PF Elton Brand (20.1 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 3.7 apg in 38.6 minutes)
L.A. Clippers receives: PF Chris Mills (20.1 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 3.7 apg in 38.6 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -6.4 ppg, -7.1 rpg, and -0.1 apg.

Boston trades: PF Chris Mills (20.1 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 3.7 apg in 38.6 minutes)
Boston receives: PF Elton Brand (20.1 ppg, 12.0 rpg, 3.7 apg in 34 games)
Can you please explain to me why the hell L.A. would do this trade?

·
Registered
800 Posts
I am only prepared to use Mills expiring contract for a player who is a long term solution! Someone who is still going to help this team 5 years from now and not just this year. Everybody can see where we need some more help but I don’t want to make a trade for a player that is not going to be a really big improvement over our rookies! In that case I would rather give our rookies a chance (Hunter at PF and Banks at PG), see how good they can really be and go after someone in the offseason!

On the other hand, like Ainge said, some teams are willing to give good players in return for expiring contract! If we can get a good player back then I am all for it.
And with the deadline coming closer and closer some teams are going to get desperate! We are in a position where we can take advantage of that, I just hope Ainge can make something work.

I took a look around the league to see who can we get in return and here are some names I found (I don’t think that all of these are good for us, some of them are there just because it works under the CBA and we get back a PF and PG):

Mills for Mohammed+Vaughn (ATL) - I don’t think this helps us much and I think we can get more for Mills contract than this.
Mills for Crawford and Fizer (CHI) - Crawford will probably demand too much money next season, so it is not a long term solution. Plus if Banks is our PG of the future…
Mills for Najera, Best + something (DAL) – doesn’t work under the CBA, but I like Najera and Best would be a useful addition.
Mills for Pollard and Anderson (IND) – Both could help but they are not long term solutions.
Mills for Swift and Watson (MEM) – I know it wont happen but this would be great for the Celtics.
Mills for Wright (MEM) – Again, I don’t think West would do this, cause Wright is the only center he has, but I put it up anyway.
Mills for J.Smith and E.Strickland (MIL) – I don’t like the deal much. But it works under the CBA and we get a PF and PG in return.
Mills for Ervin Johnson and Hudson (MIN) – I don’t like the deal much. But it works under the CBA and we get a C/PF and PG in return.
Mills for Howard and Lue (ORL) – This would be the worst trade in Celtics history!
Mills for Snow and Dalambert (PHI) – Wont happen. I like Dalambert but Snow isn’t the running PG we need.
Mills for M.Rose+filler (SAS) – Rose is a nice player but he has a long contract.

The player I would like to get (and 90% of the league too) is Dampier. I have no idea why GS would want to trade him but if these rumors about POR-GSW trade are true then maybe there is a slight chance. Dampier+Van Exel for Wallace doesn’t make sense because I don’t think Wallace will sign in GS next year. So this would be made solely for expiring contract (Van Exel said he is going to opt out next year and finish his career unless ha can play for SAS, HOU or DAL, so that makes even less sense for GS). If they want expiring contract they have one in Van Exel, of course if we can trust his words. Anyway, if there is a chance to get Dampier we at least have to try something! And we must not forget that GS has made some stupid trades in the past, so why not another one! Two scenarios:

Mills+Blount+maybe a pick for Dampier

Mills+Mihm for Dampier

I like Blount and Mihm, but they will both want more money next season and I am not sure we can keep them both, so trading one of them makes sense. Dampier on the other hand would be an allstar in the east. He is averaging a double double in the west so he would be even better in the weak east! I don’t know why GS would do this but stranger things have happened!

Another thing. We also have two trade exceptions which can be very useful! One expires right after the deadline so why not use it? (1.expires: 2004-02-20 for $2,000,000; 2.expires: 2004-10-20 for $1,598,400).

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Can someone please tell me why Mills has been used as trade bait and proganda? I really dont know why anyone would want him.

Mihm I could see, but why Mills? I am curious

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TheTruth34</b>!
Can someone please tell me why Mills has been used as trade bait and proganda? I really dont know why anyone would want him.

Mihm I could see, but why Mills? I am curious
Oh my, PLEASE pay attention! Mills' contract is expiring this year, that's 6.6 mill (or whatever the exact amount is) off the books for whoever has him. Many teams are in desperate need of reducing payroll and many many teams want to compete for free agents and need to reduce payroll under the cap to do so.
You see players that's contracts are expiring are EXTREMELY VALUABLE. Terrell Brandon will never play basketball again due to a career ending injury, but earlier this season almost half the teams in the league tried to trade for him, because his contract is expiring. Welcome to the Salary Cap/Luxury Tax world of the NBA.

One aside, I know it won't happen, but I'd love to pry Bobby Jackson away from the Kings. He's a starting point guard on 75% of the teams in the league, he could really help bring Banks along and would give us a SOLID point now until Banks is ready....the Kings will be competing for a championship, I don't know who'd help them with that off of our roster but I'd love to get it done.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RoddneyThaRippa</b>!

Can you please explain to me why the hell L.A. would do this trade?
Ok let me explain. Clipps need salary cap room to sign kobe. They get an expiring contract in mills, a decent wing guy in davis signed at the cheap.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Originally posted by <b>whiterhino</b>!

Oh my, PLEASE pay attention! Mills' contract is expiring this year, that's 6.6 mill (or whatever the exact amount is) off the books for whoever has him. Many teams are in desperate need of reducing payroll and many many teams want to compete for free agents and need to reduce payroll under the cap to do so.
You see players that's contracts are expiring are EXTREMELY VALUABLE. Terrell Brandon will never play basketball again due to a career ending injury, but earlier this season almost half the teams in the league tried to trade for him, because his contract is expiring. Welcome to the Salary Cap/Luxury Tax world of the NBA.

One aside, I know it won't happen, but I'd love to pry Bobby Jackson away from the Kings. He's a starting point guard on 75% of the teams in the league, he could really help bring Banks along and would give us a SOLID point now until Banks is ready....the Kings will be competing for a championship, I don't know who'd help them with that off of our roster but I'd love to get it done.

Yes not only his expiring contract but for the rest of the season insurance pays 80% of his salary.. He is a very valauable commodity... Ainge comments on this in the papers today..

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Clips wouldn't do that deal because they would have Davis, Maggette and Q. So are they going to let Q walk and then try to get Kobe? Doesn't seem to bright to do that.

I like the Dampier trade though. It would finally give the Celtics a Center.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Celtic rumor from ESPN Insider

There are going to be some big trades before the deadline. Danny is very active. I think there will be another deal involving the C's.

I swiped this from ESPN Insider:

You are not allowed to quote from ESPN Insider or any other pay service because of potential legal issues that may arise. Paraphrase, but NEVER quote. ---agoo

·
Registered
800 Posts
Well, I wouldnt trade Mills contract for Wilcox and/or Ely. They are useful players but they are not worth it! I would rather see Hunter and Perkins getting their minutes...
Like I said, I would only make a trade if it would mean a big improvement over our rookies. For me Wilcox and Ely arent that great of an improvement. We can get more for this expiring contract!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Originally posted by <b>theBirdman</b>!
Mills for Howard and Lue (ORL) – This would be the worst trade in Celtics history!
I think getting Howard is a mistake too but worst trade in Celtic history?

Howard would NEVER be as bad as Baker!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts