1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
09/27/2002

Zachery Randolph

question by: k^2

Q: How do you feel about leaving school early, are you satisfied with your decision or would you liked to have stayed another year?

Zach: When I decided to come out early, it was because I thought I was the best player I could be in college and I wanted to try my skills as a pro. I knew it would be a lot more difficult in the NBA - and I was right! I still think I made the right decision, and playing with a team like Portland gives me a lot of mentors who can help my game. I learn a lot just by practicing with these guys.

question by: jvanbusk

Q: After entering the draft early what are some of the big adjustments you had to make as a player between the college game and the pro game?

Zach: Playing in the pro's is great - it was something I'd wanted to do since I was a kid. One of the biggest things I've had to adjust to is the size of the guys. I've been knocked around quite a bit, so I've learned to work with that. I do have to work a lot harder now then in I did in college.

question by: TomBoerwinkle#1

Q: Is there something different this year that will likely put you over the top as a team?

Zach: I don't know about any one thing. What we all know is that every player has his role. We're just getting ready to start training camp and we'll start working the floor together and come together as a team. We're going to be great.

question by:L4L

Q: Which coach is helping you develop your game most ever since you've arrived?

Zach: Everyone here helps your game. The players, the trainers, everyone. Coach Cheeks has played a big role in my game. He taught me how to play in the NBA and he's a great coach.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Derek Anderson

question by:F. Jerzy

Q: On a team that has so many guns have you felt a pressure to add further tangents to your game that will define you as something more than a guy who can light it up in a hurry?

Derek: I always strive to improve my game. I've worked hard over the summer to keep in shape and tone my skills. I think having competition on the team keeps everyone in great shape and working hard, but I don't think it drives me to make a lot of changes to my game. It's great to have such competitive guys to work out with.

question by: (-) 0 † § I-I () †

Q: With the recent additions of Qyntel Woods, and Arvydas Sabonis, how do you think this improves your teams chances of dethroning the Lakers?

Derek: I think both guys are going to be good for the team. We're capable of doing a lot of things. We had to go through changes last year with me, Cheeks, Bonzi coming back, Ruben Patterson coming on board, Sabonis not being here, etc. The key for us is getting established. Winning an NBA championship would be a special thing to achieve, for us and the fans.

question by:therifleman

Q: Do you see yourself as a go-to guy for your team now that you're in the regular rotation?

Derek: I'm a team player, so I always want to help my team when I can. Everybody has to work together on the court to take home a win, so being a clutch player is good, but it takes the whole team to win. I think every player wants to be that "go-to guy" - but I'm just concerned with trying to bring the team a win each night.

question by:Ron

Q: Considering that you and Bonzi play the same position, how well do you get along with each other?

Derek: I talked to Bonzi before I agreed to come here and we were both fine with the decision. I told Bonzi I didn't mind sacrificing playing time. Bonzi got some great shots last year - he was getting more shots than I was. It's all about us winning. I really like to see him perform well, and it helped our team and me. He also helped me get adjusted in Portland.

question by:TomBoerwinkle#1

Q: Who are your heroes, in sport and in life?

Derek: Teachers, police officers, firefighters, and people like that are who I consider to be true heroes. I always looked up to people like that, who risk their lives for others. I don't always look to athletes for guidance. They're only going to play for so long. A firefighter is always there and is always willing to help.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rasheed Wallace

Rasheed
Q: After yourself (of course), who do you consider has the best body art in the league ? Cherokee Parks ? Marcus Fizer?

A: That's a great question! I'm not really sure. I think there's a lot of great art work out there - I'll have to start paying more attention.

question by:(-) 0 † § I-I () †

Q: For the past few years, the Blazers have been known to receive many technical fouls, do you feel that you are being targeted by referees as having a bad reputation?

A: I'll tell you what I told a kid at Sabin Elementary just a couple of weeks ago who asked me the same thing -- referees make mistakes too! I've made efforts to try to move on to the next play after getting a technical and I think the fans can tell I'm trying.

Q: If you had to choose a position besides power forward, what position do you like playing more? Center, or small forward?

A: I think if I could choose any position on the team, I'd want to be a coach.

question by:Ron

Q: What do you think it's going to take to get the Blazers deeper in the playoffs this year?

A: There's no one thing that makes a team win, but the thing we will need most is team unity.

question by:I'm not sure who wrote this

Q: Has the championship window of opportunity passed for Portland?

A: I don't think so at all. I think we have great talent on this team. I think our biggest challenge will be beating the Lakers, but we're going to come out playing great.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ruben Patterson

Q: When defending your man in the post , what guides your decision to front him or body him up from the back?

A: That's a great question. I'm not sure I want to give up my secrets though!

question by:mike

Q: What was your most memorable basketball moment?

A: Just last season against the Bucks when we were holding our breathe as Damon made his shot!

question by:louie

Q: As someone who's guarded the elite wing players in the NBA, who would you rather guard; Kobe, McGrady, Vince, or Pierce?

A: I'm a player that loves to play. I can't pick one- I love to guard all three!

Q: What is there about Kobe's game that helps you to defend him to keep him at or slightly below his season average?

A: I'm able to stop him from getting to the basket. I can feel where he's headed and get there first.

question by:TomBoerwinkle#1

Q: What single player inspired you to play basketball?

A: I Don't think any one player inspired me. I love this game. I love to play and I love to win. It was just always there in me.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Qyntel Woods

Q: Do you think in the future you could be a good point guard considering you have good ball handling skills right now?

A: I think my ball handling skills are part of what got me here, but that's also what they told me I would need to work on. I just want to get on the court, so I don't think too much about the position they play me.

question by:Pacer Fan

Q: How is your knee doing?

A: My knee is good. I've been working hard this summer and we're starting camp tomorrow. It hurts sometimes, but thats pretty normal

question by:The X Factor

Q: Why in the world do you think you fell to 21 in the draft, and how much do you want to make GMs that passed you up pay for their mistake?

A: I don't really know why. I don't think it was my knee. It might be that I didn't work out with the right teams. I'm really happy I got to come to Portland so it wouldn't have mattered when I was selected if I got to come here. If the GMs have to think about it - well, I wouldn't mind that!

question by:devestata

Q: Who on the team has been your main tutor so far?

A: Wow - Scottie was one of my role models, but I've been hanging out with Zach and learning a lot about the team.

Q: Do you expect to learn a lot from Pippen and if so, in what ways do you think he can help you the most?

A: I can't wait to play with him. Pip and Jordan were my idols when I was younger. They both motivated me to get this far, so I know he can teach me a lot. Outside of basketball, he can guide me on playing in the pros, working with the media, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts