Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He started out as an early 2nd round pick and is now listed as #13 on NBADraft.net. Scouts in Texas think pretty highly of him, positive talk about him on the radio but I haven't seen him play enough to say how well he will do in the NBA. Thoughts on how he would fare as an early 1st rounder?

Deron Williams and Wayne Simien have also seen their stocks rise... but that was expected to happen during the tourney.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Mr. Roger's Cardigan said:
He started out as an early 2nd round pick and is now listed as #13 on NBADraft.net. Scouts in Texas think pretty highly of him, positive talk about him on the radio but I haven't seen him play enough to say how well he will do in the NBA. Thoughts on how he would fare as an early 1st rounder?

Deron Williams and Wayne Simien have also seen their stocks rise... but that was expected to happen during the tourney.
Well, he's been on the radar forever, but his play last season made his stock dive. However, he came back with a great season and should be a mid-1st rounder.

I think he'll be a solid, starting 2 in the league. He's tall, athletic, has handles, can shoot, etc; he reminds me of Joe Johnson (notch below).

Deron is pretty much a lock for the lottery. Simien played well, but I'm not huge on him as a pro. I think he'll be decent but no All-Star.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Whats his game like. I've never seen him play, what are his strengths and weakness. This guy has been high on the draft boards since his freshman season, fell off as a sophmore, and climbed back as a junior. Whats goin on.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Bron_Melo_ROY said:
Whats his game like. I've never seen him play, what are his strengths and weakness. This guy has been high on the draft boards since his freshman season, fell off as a sophmore, and climbed back as a junior. Whats goin on.
Very silky smooth, beautiful jump shot and pretty good handles.....I would compare him to Larry Hughes....

·
Registered
93 Posts
RebelSun said:
Well, he's been on the radar forever, but his play last season made his stock dive. However, he came back with a great season and should be a mid-1st rounder.

I think he'll be a solid, starting 2 in the league. He's tall, athletic, has handles, can shoot, etc; he reminds me of Joe Johnson (notch below).

Deron is pretty much a lock for the lottery. Simien played well, but I'm not huge on him as a pro. I think he'll be decent but no All-Star.
I've been watching the Aggies since Wright decided to go there(and **** on Cal). He was the number 1 rated SG coming out of high school in the country, and is a very good pro prospect imo. He was never considered anything but an early-to-mid first rounder by anybody in the know.

Don't like the JJ comparisons much.

Antoine Wright is a better scorer than Joe Johnson, but nowhere near the all-around player. He'll never be the type of playmaker Joe Johnson is off the dribble, or have the ability to play PG like JJ.

He does have a decent handle, he just doesn't rely on them the same way JJ does. He uses his quick first step/off the ball movement moreso than his handling to create space for himself. This could be a product of the offense the Aggies run - one in which Wright comes off a lot of down screens - but it's just not his game to be the creator off the dribble right now.

If I were to make a player comparison, it'd be a more athletic Michael Redd(or Morris Peterson with a better understanding of the game/more poise).

His weaknesses are pretty much the same as Redd's - lacks strength to guard the bigger swingmen in the nba, settles for the jumper a little too much, gambles in the passing lanes, can be turnover prone when trying to beat man off the dribble, etc.

He's also not quite as consistent a shooter as Redd, but when Redd was at OSU, he was nowhere near the shooter he is today. With his quick release and general mechanics, he should improve at the same rate.

In my honest opinion, I think Wright is a lotto talent, and could eventually be one of the top 4 or 5 players in this draft.

If he's not gone by 15, someone's got themselves a steal.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Yeah, I like the more athletic Morris Peterson comparison. He's definitely not a Larry Hughes or Joe Johnson. He has really come on as a shooter, and looks ready to light it up from downtown in the league. He has the hops to back it up and can slash, but doens't utilize that part of his game enough. I see him as a shooter or a slasher, but not much of a ballhandler.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
How does he compare to Jarvis Hayes?

I haven't seen Wright play a lot. But I remember Hayes being hyped as an athletic big guard who could shoot from the perimeter as well, and he sure hasn't done much in the pros.

·
Premium Member
12,829 Posts
Kmurph said:
How does he compare to Jarvis Hayes?

I haven't seen Wright play a lot. But I remember Hayes being hyped as an athletic big guard who could shoot from the perimeter as well, and he sure hasn't done much in the pros.
That's who I was thinking about too. I've never seen Wright play, but he sounds like he's a lot like Hayes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hayes/Wright is a pretty good comparison.

I'd say Wright is better at creating space for himself, and is a more fluid athlete than Hayes, who is a little stiff out there.

Wright's also got a lot higher bball IQ imo, and a higher ceiling.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mr. Roger's Cardigan said:

Don't worry he'll begin to drop again, once people start to declare.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
"Texas A&M leading scorer Antoine Wright will declare for the NBA Draft, but he won't hire an agent, leaving open the option to return to the Aggies for his senior season. Wright has returned home to San Bernardino, Calif., where he will prepare for the June 26 draft." Fort Worth Star-Telegram

"NBA scouts are not permitted to discuss nonseniors, but Wright, a 6-foot-7, 210-pound shooting guard and small forward, is generally regarded as a late first-round draft pick. First-round salaries are scaled from top to bottom -- $3.48 million for the No. 1 pick to $696,000 for No. 29. All first-round picks receive a guaranteed three-year contract." Fort Worth Star-Telegram
??

·
Registered
7,213 Posts

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
I've seen Wright going to the raps in a couple mocks, but I actually haven't seen Wright play, and from what I've read, he seems to be like a guy that settles for the outside jumper and doesn't attack enough. I know that can be changed, but hearing that scares me because the Raptors have toooo many chuckers already.

Hows his defense?

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Wright is dumb. He had so many of the big schools looking at him and yet he wasted two years with Melvin Watkins at Texas A&M. He's a real talent too. His best days will be in the pros.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts