Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Mike Barrett's blog:

I have had several conversations with my colleagues on the radio staff and several of the local writers in our market, about my use of the word "we" when I refer to the Blazers. I'd like to explain how I look at the situation. I played 8 years in the NBA, I am "we." I played here, for the Portland Trail Blazers, again, I am "we." I am a fan of this game, this team, and this city- I am "we." Who said that it’s wrong for an announcer to be a fan of the game, and a fan of the team for which he works? Probably it's someone who would rather find all the wrong things in a team, than all the right.

When I travel around the city, and talk to fans of the Trail Blazers, the truest fans, the ones who will listen to the games on the radio, the ones that will come to the arena and listen with a radio as they watch the games in the stands, they use the term "we.” Well, I am a fan of this game, and a fan of this team, so why is it so wrong for me to use the term "we." Is it simply because I am an announcer? Again, who said it is so wrong for an announcer to be a fan of the team he/she works for?

Some have told me that it makes me sound less creditable when I use the term "we" because I can’t be impartial. That is the most illogical thinking I have ever heard. That’s like saying a coach can’t be impartial, or a teammate can’t be honest about a situation. Wrong is wrong, and I think that the fans will feel even better connected to the team when the critique is coming from a person who is passionate about the team. If I am nothing else, I am passionate about this game and this team.

As a point of clarity, first and foremost, I am a fan of the game. I have been all my life. Then, I am a fan of this team. As a fan of the game, I am compelled to point out when this team, or a player on this team, is doing something wrong. As a fan of this team, I am compelled to point it out, and then move on to the next point.

It is amusing to me that the first advice I got about this job was to talk as if I were in a room with a group of my friends. When I talk to my friends about the Trail Blazers, I use the term "we." In fact, when I talk about the NBA as a whole with my wife and my closest friends, I use the term "we." It's not because I want to relive my glory years, but because it is a fraternity, and once you are in, you are in for life. Maybe that's the problem. Maybe there are not enough young ex-players doing this job. Because when I listen to other broadcasts on television, I hear all the young announcers using the term "we" all the time. With that in mind, I started thinking that perhaps I am not the only person who feels this way. Maybe there are a group of young ex-players who take pride in working for a team they were a part of as a player, and are willing to express that pride, and don't worry about what people outside the team have to say. Thank you reading this.

Antonio Harvey

1999-2001 Portland Trailblazers #34
-Pop

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
I honestly think it's just people who are *****ing about something, almost to the point of just *****ing about something.

Sure, he's not as good as Mike Rice, but a lot of people weren't too fond of Mike Rice to begin with.

·
Registered
936 Posts
The "we" stuff is over criticized. I don't care.

"We" aside, I still don't think he's very good. I want to like him, because he's a likable guy, but his commentating skills are what they are.......very painful.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He'll grow into the position. He needs some practice. Just the little things that come with confidence and knowing the situation. Like, for example, after the wins when they throw it back to Antonio Harvey to transition to Brian Wheeler interviewing a player after the game, he just quickly says "Wheels?" Mike Rice used to play it up somehow. "Wheels' guest is a guy who I thought turned the game in the third quarter with his defense on _______" or whatever. Harvey will learn that kind of stuff. Educate the listener. Give us something. That's your job as an analyst.

The "we" stuff I can live with.

-Pop

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
The Sebastian Express said:
Perhaps the same person who writes for you.
:laugh:

·
Registered
981 Posts
I haven't listenned to Harvey at all, so I can't judge how he's doing. I would rather an announcer not be a homer, but I can understand how fans of the home team would be more entertained listenning to announcers that they can kind of relate to...being that they're all fans of the same team. Heck, I find listenning to Mike Rice entertaining, and he's a homer. I'm wondering though, should Harvey be let go and he find a job with another team, will he use the term "we" again as a reference for the new team that he covers? I mean, he claims to be a Blazers fan and that's why he uses the term "we." Will he change his fan allegiance each time if he were to go on to work for other teams? This is why I suspect that Harvey might not be a real fan of this team, but rather he thinks it might get him in good grace with the team and its fans if he acts as a fan.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Harvey just needs some seasoning. You can tell that he has some things to say, it's just that he hesitates and it makes him sound like a skipping record. He'll pan out, just give him a while to warm up to his new job.

As for the "we" thing, who cares? He's a broadcaster for the Portland Trail Blazers. Most people listening are probably doing so because they follow this team. I appreciate his pride.

·
Registered
910 Posts
who gave dwight james the job as critic for blazer game announcers? maybe he should just shut his mouth and comment on the team and quit worrying about the announcers. dwight james is just mad cause he's to fat and out of shape to be a ball boy, much less a 15th player in the nbdl.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
We just think Harvey needs some time to get comfortable on-air. We would have liked someone who knows what they're doing, with more experience, but we don't listen to the radio broadcast now anyway since they split up Wheels & Rice.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Not a good sign when someone new to the biz turns a cold shoulder to unanymously accepted advice from seasoned colleagues. Whether or not he agrees with it, he's wrong. And until he opens his eyes to that fact, he probably won't improve much in his chosen occupation.

Dan

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
It is no secret that Harvey is no Rice. He seems to be at a lost for words at times. I don't know if he was a good fit for Wheels, but he is the guy they brought in. Mostlikely could have gotten a better color guy, but maybe there is a salary cap for radio broadcasters in the league now.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
And here I thought this would be a response to a valid criticism. Things like "You seem to loose your train of thought all the time. Maybe you should drink less?" "You are constantly misprounouncing things. Have you ever considered taking an english class?" "You're the worst color guy in the NBA. Please tell me you're also the lowest paid."

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
The first step to solving something is to recognize there's a problem. Harvey seems to think it's not only logical but PREFERABLE to use "we".

That's a joke of an attitude. It reeks of amateurism and it very well might be indicative of how he'll approach his career as an announcer. If that's the case, he's NOT going to get better. He's going to do whatever he thinks is best and take criticism as stemming from "someone who would rather find all the wrong things in a team, than all the right".

I don't want to hear people talking about all the right (or wrong) in a team. I want to hear about what's happening on the floor for both teams.

Fortunately, I don't have to listen to many radio broadcasts.

I hope he gets better, because he seems passionate about the team and the game. I just wonder whether he's taking his role as seriously as the great announcers do.

Ed O.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Backboard Cam said:
We just think Harvey needs some time to get comfortable on-air. We would have liked someone who knows what they're doing, with more experience, but we don't listen to the radio broadcast now anyway since they split up Wheels & Rice.
:laugh:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts