Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the Sixers playing some of their best basketball near the end of the season, there's no doubt in my mind that Obie will be back next year as the Sixers' head coach.

Now I have to ask what your thoughts are, do you support it, are you against it, do you have no true feeling?

The more I think about it, the one thing this team is missing is continuity and there's no guarantee that adding another coach in the offseason would have us in a better situation than we're in right now. With the Sixers in the driver's seat to bring back Korver, and the team having the option to match whatever offer Dalembert gets their in a position to return a good team next season, especially with an offseason to work.

I'm not really an O'Brien fan, but there's no doubt that he's improved and changed his ways after the criticism blew up and he felt the bullseye right on his back, and the team has responded winning more frequently.

Right now, the only way I'd make a move to get O'Brien off the team after this season if there's a top flight coach out there who's willing to coach the team. And when I say top flight I mean already proven in the NBA, like Phil Jackson.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
There's still a few more games to go and I really hope we can continue on our little run, but if we start losing again people will be on O'Brien's case even more. If we're playing winning basketball and we do alright in the playoffs I actually wouldn't be too upset at seeing him back next season. I just wish he would change his strategy a little, I'm sure we would win more games with a more efficient style of play.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I would still like to see him off the team, because I fear as soon as he feels that the target on him is gone, he will go back to his normal ways. Also we will never be able to defend well, especially the 3 and how Dalembert is used down-low, with Obie in town.

·
Wrong About Everything
13,525 Posts
Of course Obie will be back. Even that guy on pennlive.com has gotten off of him lately.

Right now, the only way I'd make a move to get O'Brien off the team after this season if there's a top flight coach out there who's willing to coach the team. And when I say top flight I mean already proven in the NBA, like Phil Jackson.
There is absolutely no way I would ever hire Phil for this team. Maybe when AI was still playing SG, but I've never seen him utalize a PG or PF offensively.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sliccat said:
There is absolutely no way I would ever hire Phil for this team. Maybe when AI was still playing SG, but I've never seen him utalize a PG or PF offensively.
And before he went to LA he never really utilized the Center offensively.

If Phil Jackson was interested, there's no way I could say no to him, just his presence would help players. It's a pipe dream, but I was throwing his name out there as an example.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts