Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy and his wife who thinks that they are friends with me sent me an overly jesusy christmas card. I'm not trying to get into a religious debate, but I do not believe the Christian Theology, and I think that Jesus would probably think Christmas was a stupid holiday. But this whole Xmas card was all about "our lord and savior" "Our Lord was born today" "Yada Yada" "Jesus Jesus", but I don't consider Jesus my lord, doubt Jesus would consider himself my Lord, and I was just wondering what any of you think about these Super Duper Christian Christmas cards if you ever get them.

Personally if you're going to send me a christmas card, just make it happy holidays, throw a snowman on there, I don't care. But don't mail me a bunch of religion.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I just decided I'm going to send him a Ramadan card when the time is right, and a card for any other religion I can think of.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I just don't see the big deal. Christmas obviously derives from Christianity, so as a Christian family they decided to send out Christmas cards with a Christian theme. Just accept the card for what it probably was intended to be: a nice gesture. Should the family go through each individual in their mailing list and buy separate cards depending on what religion their friends are? Seems like a hassle to me.

Bottom line for me is that whether the card has prancer and dancer on the cover or a glowing picture of Jesus, it isn't relevant; nor is the religion of the family celebrating. Christmas for 90% percent of the population transcends all that crap. Not to sound to mushy but it really just comes down to relaxing with family and friends.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just don't see the big deal. Christmas obviously derives from Christianity, so as a Christian family they decided to send out Christmas cards with a Christian theme. Just accept the card for what it probably was intended to be: a nice gesture. Should the family go through each individual in their mailing list and buy separate cards depending on what religion their friends are? Seems like a hassle to me.

Bottom line for me is that whether the card has prancer and dancer on the cover or a glowing picture of Jesus, it isn't relevant; nor is the religion of the family celebrating. Christmas for 90% percent of the population transcends all that crap. Not to sound to mushy but it really just comes down to relaxing with family and friends.
They're still getting a Ramadan card.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Mmhmmm... well if you wanted to make a point I'd suggest something like Kwanzaa since ya know... it actually takes place during the holidays... and it's actually a holiday... but whatever floats your boat man.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mmhmmm... well if you wanted to make a point I'd suggest something like Kwanzaa since ya know... it actually takes place during the holidays... and it's actually a holiday... but whatever floats your boat man.
Nah, Ramadan is better. I won't send it until Ramadan anyway.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And Chris J, I know alot of Muslims who would argue with you about Ramadan being a holiday, I know it lasts a whole month, but it is considered a holiday.

·
Premium Member
8,260 Posts
You're upset because your Christian friends sent you a Christian card for a Christian holiday?

I must be missing the logic here. Yes, Christmas has been commercialized well beyond a Christian holiday, but that doesn't change the fact that it celebrates the birth of Jesus.

·
Legal Smeagol
30,760 Posts
Nah, Ramadan is better. I won't send it until Ramadan anyway.
I know I'd love to get an Eid al-Fitr card...

I occasionally receive very religious Christmas cards, but make it a point of accepting them with thanks. As far as I'm concerned, they reflect the religion of whoever sends them, and I accept them as such.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You must be wound like a ****ing top if this stuff bothers you.
co-sign

I am just happy that people remember to send me a card on christmas...I actually never read the card.. I just see who it is from then hang it up

·
Administrator
26,979 Posts
You know what I really ****ing hate? When my obnoxious Jewish friends send me those ****ing Hanukkah cards with the gawdamned menorahs on the front. What the hell is that all about? Why can't they just send me cards with pictures of snowmen with beards & yarmulkes? Those *******s, I should beat them up.

EDIT: Slightly off topic, but, Reisedoggy, how many ****ing times do I need to PM you Lucacentric by Lucas before you add me to your list? :mad2:

·
Premium Member
69,618 Posts
Dont care really, at least someone cares enough to send you cards. What about those folks that dont get any?

·
Registered
372 Posts
EDIT: Slightly off topic, but, Reisedoggy, how many ****ing times do I need to PM you Lucacentric by Lucas before you add me to your list? :mad2:
Hmm.. I have never gotten a PM from you.. You didnt send it to my old Midnight Marauder name did you? I cant remember the password on that name.. and trying to get someone to reset it for me requires an act of congress I guess... but.. either way.. adding it now

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
It doesn't piss me off, but I do shake my head when I read that jesus crap. If the extent of their christian outreach is a jesus card on christmas, then I consider myself lucky. If they start talking to me about it through the rest of the year, then I shall smack the hell out of them.

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
I could care less. But every now and then when I used to be a server those cheap Christian *******s would leave one of those stupid ****ing "The only way to save yourself is to accept Christianity" cards with some stupid ****ing bible verse on it as tip. Always around Christmas time too...

·
We Just Wanna Chill
12,088 Posts
It would not bother me. However, if said neighbor was always preaching to me (regardless of which religion they believe in) then it can get irritating. Occasionally i ask religious folk about their religious views to gain a better understanding of where they come from. I had a Jewish co-worker, although strong in his beliefs, he rarely talked about it. In fact, he would go to a room where he would have more privacy and read the Torah. I would often approach him and ask him things about Judaism and we'd talk for hours. Likewise with Muslims and Christians. Its all about having an open mind.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
Even as a Christian, I don't really care for people throwing their religion on me regardless of what it is. I'm not about to force mines down your throat either. I'd have a normal convo about it(I had a Buddhist roommate) and that's that. Not like we banishing the other to hell for believing in something else.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts