Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on almost every board, and not just Chicago fans still say there is a way we get Kukoc for Erob in some sort of trade with the Bucks. Has this been printed ANYWHERE or have ANY sources to it? i would love for this trade to happen, but I think it's a stretch maybe b/c Milwaukee probably wants the caproom instead of Erob. Other players would have to be involved so maybe that's why they would do it, but I just want to know if anyone has a source for this or what.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ChiBulls2315</b>!
on almost every board, and not just Chicago fans still say there is a way we get Kukoc for Erob in some sort of trade with the Bucks. Has this been printed ANYWHERE or have ANY sources to it? i would love for this trade to happen, but I think it's a stretch maybe b/c Milwaukee probably wants the caproom instead of Erob. Other players would have to be involved so maybe that's why they would do it, but I just want to know if anyone has a source for this or what.
This is the closest I've seen, from Sam Smith in the Trib, but it doesn't say anything is active.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...ullsbigdogtrade.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i saw that. WE WERE SO CLOSE! but then some people on various boards claim a erob for kukoc deal is still in the works, but cite no sources.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
No sources that I've seen. The rationale that I can think of is not that the Bucks want cap room, but that they want to avoid the luxury tax. If the trade were structured right, they could cut a million or two off their payroll and allow them to avoid the luxury tax.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Including Travis Best and a contract for approximately $3 million ought to do the trick. Best and Robinson for Kukoc. I imagine the Bulls would then attempt to sign Matt Harpring. And since the Bucks still haven't signed Gadzuric, I'd insist that his rights be included in the deal.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ChiBulls2315</b>!
ya i saw that. WE WERE SO CLOSE! but then some people on various boards claim a erob for kukoc deal is still in the works, but cite no sources.
On RealGM. someone said their friends aunt is a secretary in the Bucks office and she heard .... which I found laughable and noted as such, B4E's response unfortunately sums up the state of the Bulls board at RealGM.
Bad information is all over the web.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
No sources that I've seen. The rationale that I can think of is not that the Bucks want cap room, but that they want to avoid the luxury tax. If the trade were structured right, they could cut a million or two off their payroll and allow them to avoid the luxury tax.
Mike ,

Unfortunately for the Bucks they are screwed for at least the next 3 years in being able to get under the luxury tax limit

They will be one of the teams that pays the dollar for dollar component for being over the limit but moreover they will forego a significant opportunity cost in the redistribution of escrow and tax that those teams will receive to reduce their net payroll cost for being under the limit.

The Bucks have $53.1M across 9 players committed for next season.

Add to that ; Haislip, Gadzuric , Roland Murray and a resigned Michael Redd and we're talking about another $5.4M in salary on the assumption that Redd gets offered ( and accepts ) around $3M

That's $57.5M across 13 players - hell with a resigned Mark Pope and a another minimum player let's call them even at $58M with a full roster

That is probably at least $6M - $7M they need to shave off their roster

Tall order in the new economy unless they want to give away Sam Cassell and Anthony Mason to teams under the cap that can eat their salaries - and then only Washington and the Clippers are the two teams that will have room . Washington could be interested in Cassell but who wants Mase at $5M for the next 3 years?

So it is unlikely they can avoid the luxury tax

The best they can do is trim costs to the extent they are over the luxury tax limit to cut back on the dollar for dollar impost and in that regard Best and Erob might save them around $1M in nominal salary and therefore $1M in penalties

As Dickie pointed out in an earlier post , maybe such accommodation is indeed worth Dan Gadzuric .

I still say that I am not in favour of the Kukoc deal given his age, pay cheque and recent injury history .

Kukoc is more a liability than anything for us right now and with no clear upside in the deal except strategic payroll management issues , why be bothered if you are not upgrading talent at the same time ?

If we want Toni , why acquire Matt? Could we not acquire Matt with ERob still on board anyway ? I can't see the sense

If we can't sign Matt and are worried about paying him if we had ERob ( but not Toni :confused: ) what about striking while the iron is hot with Eduardo Najera and all this Shard to Dallas BS making he and his agent twitchy no doubt ?

Also , I would much rather deal Crawford NOW and resign Travis Best to back up / share point with Jay

I am sure there are methods to the madness here people but to me they are as clear as mud

1 - 7 of 7 Posts