Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just thinking if next year hits rock bottom if Allen might have enough with this city and bye bye trailblazers!

wouldnt shock me, although I would doubt NBA would let it happen since the Blazers have a strong history in the league!

What do you guys think...will the Blazers always be in Portland or will allen screw us?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mixum</b>!
just thinking if next year hits rock bottom if Allen might have enough with this city and bye bye trailblazers!

wouldnt shock me, although I would doubt NBA would let it happen since the Blazers have a strong history in the league!

What do you guys think...will the Blazers always be in Portland or will allen screw us?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! I would die if Portland left........ I would have Nightmares about "both teams play har".:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,397 Posts
No freaking way would that happen. I can't believe someone would even bring that up. This isn't Vancouver or Charlotte, the Blazers have a history of winning with a great fan support. A year or two of mediocrity and loss of interest isn't going to make Paul move the team.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,878 Posts
I am so sorry this thought even crosses your mind...

to answer your question...

Absolutely not.... the Blazers are well established here, and I doubt they will ever move from here.

we had a few bad years in the middle 80's... the fans stuck by them.. and low and behold in the early 90's.. we were in the finals...


this is not Cleveland or some other franchise who has no history of winning on a consistant basis... we win and have been in the playoffs for ages now.. no way they are going to move outta here...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,001 Posts
I would say there's no way the team moves. For two reasons:

-- no other strong candidate. With Charlotte getting an expansion team, there just aren't a ton of great candidate cities that would be better than Portland.

-- the Rose Garden. Paul Allen's got a lot of interests tied up into that building and the entire complex, and there's no way he'd leave it, and without the Blazers he couldn't get much for whatever interests he has.

I think it's possible Allen could sell, and that could be bad news for Portland, but I don't see any way he'd move the team.

Ed O.
 

·
Banned member
Joined
·
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mixum</b>!
just thinking if next year hits rock bottom if Allen might have enough with this city and bye bye trailblazers!
this might be the most missguided, most uniformed, and unrealistic comment ever made about the Blazers, in the history OF the Blazers.

Paul Allen will not move the team, for several reasons.

He signed a contract in 95, I believe, for a 30 year lease to stay in Portland. While it's obvious those can be changed, that would cost him money.

He's not going to complain about 2 MAYBE bad seasons. These "bad" seasons just go to show how spoiled we are as a fanbase. The team hasn't ever lost more than 45 games in *30* years..and we have this irrational fear that he might move the team because of 2 years that we *MIGHT* end up the season below .500??

are we seriously discussing this?

Paul Allen could lose 100 million a year for 5 years (which is a horrible # to use as the norm, because it was so high due to the lux tax mainly) and he'd still be coming out on the + in comparison to the troubles that it would take to get a new team.

Let's visit a scenario where he does actually move the team. Now granted, the chances of that happening are less than my chances of winning the lotto, marrying the brown haired girl, and living in Newport Oregon by the end of this NBA season..but let's say he did.

I pick San Diego (mainly because i think they should get the clippers). I realize that San Diego is the most unlikely of destinations for the Blazers, but it's my theory.

San Diego desperately needs a new stadium. The fans in San Diego are hardballing the Chargers (and rightfully so)..They just spent a fair amount of money on the Padre's new stadium, so they aren't really willing to spend money on a new one for the Chargers who really don't need one. (Why don't they need a new one? Well, they already are getting all of the $$ from Jack Murphy + they conned the city of San Diego into paying a bounty for every seat not sold over 60,000 for Charger games).

Ok, so the Blazers move to San Diego. San Diego, which already has lost 2 NBA teams, and might lose an NFL team (tho I doubt it) is a huge market. But there is a lot to do down there. Padres, Chargers, U of San Diego, and SDSU..

The amount of $$ Paul Allen would not only have to invest to get the team OUT of Portland, PLUS make the move, PLUS play in the crappy Sports Arena in San Diego, PLUS build a NEW Sports arena (probably out of his pocket), PLUS compete for the $$ from the Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, Padres, Chargers, Kings, Sharks, Angels + UCLA, and USC..

Let's say Paul Allen does agree to move the team to San Diego, and build a stadium. Chances are it's going to be a MIN of 400 million to build a nice one thats going to be a draw down there (so much competition). Land down there is not cheap at all.

So he's shelled out 400 million lets say. So Paul Allen would be one of the lucky ones to not only have a NFL stadium he's built, but 2, count em, 2 NBA arenas! One of which he doesn't use anymore (and therefore would lose money) and another thats 1200+ miles south of his "homebase"...

So even with a new arena, he still doesn't have a fanbase.

So he'd have to shell out tons of money to get a whole new fanbase too. And there's no promises with the new fanbase even being interested with the team.

So, to recap. Paul Allen would have to spend a WHOLE lot of money to move the team, a WHOLE lot of money to build a new arena...a whole lot of money to get a new fanbase, and even then, he'd be spending a lot of money on a big *** unknown...

wouldnt shock me, although I would doubt NBA would let it happen since the Blazers have a strong history in the league!
and unless Paul Allen goes certifiably insane, he's not even going to contemplate this, let alone consider it more than just a fever induced nightmare.

Jeesh...we are such spoiled fans.

we've had 3 total seasons in the last 30 years where we've been under .500 and people ***** and moan and have fears that Paul is going to move the team..

this is rich.
What do you guys think...will the Blazers always be in Portland or will allen screw us?
Allen has no reason to 'screw us', nor any reason to even consider moving. Even if the team sucked next year and won 12 games, he's not going to all the sudden pick up tent, and move. No person who can think logically would suggest that after 1 bad year, that a team should move.

Otherwise, the Nuggets, Cavs, Mavs, Wizards, Warriors, Hawks and the Nets would all have either moved a LONG time ago, or folded their tents and gave up.

Anyone who thinks that Paul Allen is going to give up because of a bad season or two (or hell, even 5) attendance wise, is either making a point by mocking it, or just doesn't understand how good Paul Allen knows he has it.
 

·
Banned member
Joined
·
28,452 Posts
another thing I just thought of...

Paul "I'm moving the team" Allen bought the seahawks..

Why?


because they were threatening to move to LA (who didn't want them anyway).


So, he's going to spend a bucket load of money saving the seahawks (who don't have nearly the history that the Blazers do in relation to their city) but not the blazers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
HHHMMMMM

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN YOUR LAS VEGAS BLAZERS!!!!!!!!!


No sorry...doesn't sound right..i think the Blazers will be in Portland till the world ends...:laugh:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
Re: Re: Anyone feel like Allen would move the team out of Portland?

Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!
Let's say Paul Allen does agree to move the team to San Diego, and build a stadium. Chances are it's going to be a MIN of 400 million to build a nice one thats going to be a draw down there (so much competition). Land down there is not cheap at all.

So he's shelled out 400 million lets say. So Paul Allen would be one of the lucky ones to not only have a NFL stadium he's built, but 2, count em, 2 NBA arenas! One of which he doesn't use anymore (and therefore would lose money) and another thats 1200+ miles south of his "homebase"...
So many teams need gov funding to build their arenas, that I'd wager he could buy the land very reasonably from the state/city if his purpose were to bring a team, and jobs to the area.

If the Blazers were to move, I'd wager you guys get another team like the Hornets jam, and he'd be able to lease the place out.

-Petey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!

If the Blazers were to move, I'd wager you guys get another team like the Hornets jam, and he'd be able to lease the place out
I am a BLAZERFAN4LIFE not a <whatever team the nba puts in portland> fan4life

:laugh:
 

·
Banned member
Joined
·
28,452 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Anyone feel like Allen would move the team out of Portland?

Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!


So many teams need gov funding to build their arenas, that I'd wager he could buy the land very reasonably from the state/city if his purpose were to bring a team, and jobs to the area.

If the Blazers were to move, I'd wager you guys get another team like the Hornets jam, and he'd be able to lease the place out.

-Petey
the property might be "cheap", but building it, funding the $$ to get a fanbase going, and all the other crap, would cost him waaaay too much money.

As for getting another team, if the team did move (which it won't)..I say screw it. If the NBA allowed the Blazers to move, then screw the NBA. Despite the current situation, we're one of the NBA's cornerstone franchises (along with Detroit, Chicago, LA, Boston, New York, Bucks, Sonics, and Suns) in the sense that we've been here the longest, have had an insane following, and one of the more winning franchises (despite having only 1 title)


Since the Blazers won their title in 77, I think only 10 teams have won a title since, and of those 10 title teams, 23 are with 6 teams (Houston: 2 Spurs: 2 Celtics: 3 Lakers: 8 Chicago: 6 Pistons: 2). So it's not like these things are being handed out on a cycle here.

We're in the same boat as everyone else, (outside of these teams) and we're the only one who can say that in that same stretch, we've never won fewer than 37 games.

So if the NBA, after all this history, has the audacity to allow the team to be moved, says we can have "another" team, I say kiss my *** NBA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
651 Posts
The NBA doesn't allow teams to move easily, if at all. The last time a team moved was in 1985 when the Kings moved from Kansas City to sac Town. The Nets will be moving to Brooklyn possibly because they are losing a ton of money concsistently in Jersey. There is no way the league lets the Blazers move, and no way Allen would even want to move them anyway.
 

·
Banned member
Joined
·
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Stevenson</b>!
The NBA doesn't allow teams to move easily, if at all. The last time a team moved was in 1985 when the Kings moved from Kansas City to sac Town. The Nets will be moving to Brooklyn possibly because they are losing a ton of money concsistently in Jersey. There is no way the league lets the Blazers move, and no way Allen would even want to move them anyway.
the last time an NBA team moved was Vancouver to Memphis, and Charlotte to New Orleans.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
I'm not saying you guys would move, I think Allen realizes the value of the Portland brand, I'm just saying that the man has options if he ever considered it. When you are such an influence upon the economy, there are ways to get done.

-Petey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,509 Posts
Re: Re: Anyone feel like Allen would move the team out of Portland?

Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!


this might be the most missguided, most uniformed, and unrealistic comment ever made about the Blazers, in the history OF the Blazers.

Paul Allen will not move the team, for several reasons.

He signed a contract in 95, I believe, for a 30 year lease to stay in Portland. While it's obvious those can be changed, that would cost him money.

He's not going to complain about 2 MAYBE bad seasons. These "bad" seasons just go to show how spoiled we are as a fanbase. The team hasn't ever lost more than 45 games in *30* years..and we have this irrational fear that he might move the team because of 2 years that we *MIGHT* end up the season below .500??

are we seriously discussing this?

Paul Allen could lose 100 million a year for 5 years (which is a horrible # to use as the norm, because it was so high due to the lux tax mainly) and he'd still be coming out on the + in comparison to the troubles that it would take to get a new team.

Let's visit a scenario where he does actually move the team. Now granted, the chances of that happening are less than my chances of winning the lotto, marrying the brown haired girl, and living in Newport Oregon by the end of this NBA season..but let's say he did.

I pick San Diego (mainly because i think they should get the clippers). I realize that San Diego is the most unlikely of destinations for the Blazers, but it's my theory.

San Diego desperately needs a new stadium. The fans in San Diego are hardballing the Chargers (and rightfully so)..They just spent a fair amount of money on the Padre's new stadium, so they aren't really willing to spend money on a new one for the Chargers who really don't need one. (Why don't they need a new one? Well, they already are getting all of the $$ from Jack Murphy + they conned the city of San Diego into paying a bounty for every seat not sold over 60,000 for Charger games).

Ok, so the Blazers move to San Diego. San Diego, which already has lost 2 NBA teams, and might lose an NFL team (tho I doubt it) is a huge market. But there is a lot to do down there. Padres, Chargers, U of San Diego, and SDSU..

The amount of $$ Paul Allen would not only have to invest to get the team OUT of Portland, PLUS make the move, PLUS play in the crappy Sports Arena in San Diego, PLUS build a NEW Sports arena (probably out of his pocket), PLUS compete for the $$ from the Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, Padres, Chargers, Kings, Sharks, Angels + UCLA, and USC..

Let's say Paul Allen does agree to move the team to San Diego, and build a stadium. Chances are it's going to be a MIN of 400 million to build a nice one thats going to be a draw down there (so much competition). Land down there is not cheap at all.

So he's shelled out 400 million lets say. So Paul Allen would be one of the lucky ones to not only have a NFL stadium he's built, but 2, count em, 2 NBA arenas! One of which he doesn't use anymore (and therefore would lose money) and another thats 1200+ miles south of his "homebase"...

So even with a new arena, he still doesn't have a fanbase.

So he'd have to shell out tons of money to get a whole new fanbase too. And there's no promises with the new fanbase even being interested with the team.

So, to recap. Paul Allen would have to spend a WHOLE lot of money to move the team, a WHOLE lot of money to build a new arena...a whole lot of money to get a new fanbase, and even then, he'd be spending a lot of money on a big *** unknown...



and unless Paul Allen goes certifiably insane, he's not even going to contemplate this, let alone consider it more than just a fever induced nightmare.

Jeesh...we are such spoiled fans.

we've had 3 total seasons in the last 30 years where we've been under .500 and people ***** and moan and have fears that Paul is going to move the team..

this is rich.


Allen has no reason to 'screw us', nor any reason to even consider moving. Even if the team sucked next year and won 12 games, he's not going to all the sudden pick up tent, and move. No person who can think logically would suggest that after 1 bad year, that a team should move.

Otherwise, the Nuggets, Cavs, Mavs, Wizards, Warriors, Hawks and the Nets would all have either moved a LONG time ago, or folded their tents and gave up.

Anyone who thinks that Paul Allen is going to give up because of a bad season or two (or hell, even 5) attendance wise, is either making a point by mocking it, or just doesn't understand how good Paul Allen knows he has it.
Hap. Clearly you took a lot of time and put a lot of thought into this post, but I'm afraid it was a waste. Mixum is a [strike]simple minded troll[/strike]. He just wanted a reaction. He got it and so he's on to his next inflammatory post.

Portland is the most underserved sports market in the country. Paul Allen has a monopoly. He'll never move the team as long as that's the case.

No name-calling, please. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
731 Posts
Good post Fork. You have described one poster's behavior to a t.

I really think that Paul is tired of traveling all the way to Portland from his beloved home somewhere in the Seattle area. He has decided to move the team to either Centralia, Olympia, or Bellingham.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top