Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone find Skiles' comments confusing concerning TT?

I think it's a given that Skiles is not a players coach and one who really doesn't care about feelings.

"We were so far behind," Bulls coach Scott Skiles said. "The guys who have been playing in front of him didn't play that well [Monday] so I put him out there and gave him a chance."
gave him a chance? What is/isn't he doing that isn't allowing him to play more?

Still, Skiles said he is puzzled by the attention Thomas' lack of playing time has drawn.

"I find it a little bit odd that we're focusing so much on this situation," Skiles said.
eh??

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Re: Anyone find Skiles' comments confusing concerning TT?

i think everyone knew that it was going to be hard for him to find minutes behind Nocioni and Deng. the early reports about his lack of defensive intensity were also pretty damning. still, it would be nice to see what he could bring to the table in more than limited minutes and garbage time. didn't this guy shoot a pretty good percentage last year? and he has some size too.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts

I think Skiles is great for a young team w/ zero stars like us, but the man has a history of being an a** and he's being one right now. He clearly enjoys taking advantage of his position and bully players who rub him the wrong way. He's done this in Phoenix too and had to apologize for it. The guy can treat his players like crap.

·
A!
9,434 Posts

SPMJ said:
I think Skiles is grat for a young team w/o zero stars like us, but the man has a history of being an a** and he's being one right now. He clearly enjoys taking advantage of his position and bully players who rub him the wrong way. He's done this in Phoenix too and had to apologize for it. The guy can treat his players like crap.
why would he instantly have a personal vendetta against Thomas, though? seems like if he could actually help the team win, Skiles would play him more. after all, we do not attend practices, team meetings, etc. so we have no way of knowing what goes on, but i have faith that Skiles puts out the players he believes gives the team the best chance to win.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts

SPMJ said:
I think Skiles is great for a young team w/ zero stars like us, but the man has a history of being an a** and he's being one right now. He clearly enjoys taking advantage of his position and bully players who rub him the wrong way. He's done this in Phoenix too and had to apologize for it. The guy can treat his players like crap.
I think the opposite. A guy with Thomas attitude (at least his track record, ask Milwaukee fans) is negative for a young team without stars, or with potential stars.

Its silly to believe a head coach wont play a player if he gives him and his team a better chance to win. Obviously we dont know the entire truth, but if I have to side with either Skiles or Thomas, Im behind the coach.

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts

League Pass featured the Portland feed tonight, and while discussing the surprising fact that Thomas was on the inactive list, they showed an extended shot of Tim on the bench bending Eddie Basden's ear.

I literally laughed out loud from imagining what jib-friendly thoughts on life and basketball Tim might have been sharing with our resident diamond-in-the-rough.

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts

ScottMay said:
League Pass featured the Portland feed tonight, and while discussing the surprising fact that Thomas was on the inactive list, they showed an extended shot of Tim on the bench bending Eddie Basden's ear.

I literally laughed out loud from imagining what jib-friendly thoughts on life and basketball Tim might have been sharing with our resident diamond-in-the-rough.

He was inactive because of a back issue:

Tim Thomas didn't play Wednesday, which is nothing new except this time it was because of a sore back, he said. Thomas said he awoke with back pain and visited a chiropractor.

"I knew I couldn't do anything," he said.

Thomas said he felt better by the evening and didn't anticipate sitting out additional games.
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...lsbits,1,2779267.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

·
Registered
3,386 Posts

Thomas said he awoke with back pain and visited a chiropractor.
That says alot. He probably does have a back issue, but looking at it from Skiles pov, he just keeps having these minor nagging injuries.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts

scott skiles on his radio show today had this to say when asked about timmy's comments to the press recently:

"the insinuation is the phone is ringing off the hook with suitors" (it's not)

"it's wide open for him, i've talked to him, the coaching staff has talked to him, pax has talked to him - it's the non-chalance i have a hard time accepting. but it's wide open for him"

·
Registered
2,543 Posts

mizenkay said:
scott skiles on his radio show today had this to say when asked about timmy's comments to the press recently:

"the insinuation is the phone is ringing off the hook with suitors" (it's not)

"it's wide open for him, i've talked to him, the coaching staff has talked to him, pax has talked to him - it's the non-chalance i have a hard time accepting. but it's wide open for him"
I missed this. Thanks for sharing. This is definite doghouse talk and I'm sorry (but not surprised) to hear it.

Last year, the Bulls attained respectability by bucking the NBA system and becoming a "coach's team." They then re-signed the coach. This is Skiles' team for better or worse. Nonchalance=bench. Neither Skiles or Paxson wanted Thomas. He had to be included to make the deal work (a deal Paxson didn't want to make). Thomas is talented. He's in a contract year. He needs to get with the program or it's going to cost him some serious money.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts

transplant said:
I missed this. Thanks for sharing. This is definite doghouse talk and I'm sorry (but not surprised) to hear it.

Last year, the Bulls attained respectability by bucking the NBA system and becoming a "coach's team." They then re-signed the coach. This is Skiles' team for better or worse. Nonchalance=bench. Neither Skiles or Paxson wanted Thomas. He had to be included to make the deal work (a deal Paxson didn't want to make). Thomas is talented. He's in a contract year. He needs to get with the program or it's going to cost him some serious money.
Yep. Given this it's really pretty remarkable that a million dollars a season nearly resulted in the Bulls and Skiles severing their relationship.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts

Did anyone really have a hard time seeing this coming? Tim Thomas, by all accounts, has been a life long douche bag, and has pissed off and underwhelmed every team he's ever played for with his attitude and work ethic, and Scott Skiles is the closest thing to a new-age Jerry Sloan that's coaching in the league.

Tim Thomas, meet E-rob.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What is with this board and Tim Thomas?

The guy is a freakin overpaid fraud. You guys act like we have Lebron on the bench, and if Skiles lets him play we're going to win all our games. Come on now, this guy is a T-U-R-D TURD. He doesn't play defense, he settles for stupid shots because he doesn't want to go inside. He has no business getting the money he is making, and he refuses to play the way we need him to play to make the team better. So I say good job Scotty, keep this freakin bum on the bench and let him whipe his tears with 13 million singles.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Re: What is with this board and Tim Thomas?

WOOOOOOWWWWWW. What's this about "You guys act...."????

Tone it down. Do not put all bulls posters into a nice neet package. Some people speak up for TT, a lot of us don't. Please do your homework before you post.

by the way, I agree with the rest of your post.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts