Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EStrick, Hassell and Artest certainly puts some steel in our perimeter D behind Jay, Jalen and ERob + EStrick can hit the 3 ( about a 30% clip ) He would make an ideal back up to Jay

Jamal for Ron - that's the centrepiece

Yes or No ?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Originally posted by <b>FJ_of _Rockaway</b>!
EStrick, Hassell and Artest certainly puts some steel in our perimeter D behind Jay, Jalen and ERob + EStrick can hit the 3 ( about a 30% clip ) He would make an ideal back up to Jay

Jamal for Ron - that's the centrepiece

Yes or No ?
I don't understand why Krause would pull the trigger to get a guy he got rid of less then a year ago...?

And wouldn't that create just a god-awful logjam at the 3?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
artest plays the two as well as the three, so it wouldn't be any worse than it is now.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
i agree it is a decent idea but wouldnt work logjam would actually be worse:

Williams,Strickland
Rose,Hassell
Artest,Robinson
Marshall,Fizer,Baxter
Curry,Chandler,Blount,Bagaric

This is only way it works but means Marshall would only play PF and either fizer or chandler would be just out of luck when it comes to minutes-i like the idea of ron coming back though but this way wont do it

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>basghetti80</b>!
i agree it is a decent idea but wouldnt work logjam would actually be worse:

Williams,Strickland
Rose,Hassell
Artest,Robinson
Marshall,Fizer,Baxter
Curry,Chandler,Blount,Bagaric

This is only way it works but means Marshall would only play PF and either fizer or chandler would be just out of luck when it comes to minutes-i like the idea of ron coming back though but this way wont do it
Honestly, I think that if we traded Fizer at this point, we'd be fine. Maybe we can pass him off for the Knick's trade exception. That gives us more FA power next year and I don't think it'd hurt us much up front.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Re: Re: Anyone like Crawford and the Mayor for Crazy Ron and EStrick?

Originally posted by <b>Jim Ian</b>!

I don't understand why Krause would pull the trigger to get a guy he got rid of less then a year ago...?

And wouldn't that create just a god-awful logjam at the 3?
Artest had to be included to make it work $ wise

I suspect there was a lot of puff at the time about Ron's instability to placate the masses at the time who had embraced Ron and his outlaw eccentricity .

In short he had become a fan fave and a spin was required to let everyone know what a lunatic he was/is.

He proved last year that he is for real and he can play .

Sure he was /is "off centre" and leads a colourful life off the court

So did Dennis Rodman and he worked out for us just fine

In terms of him creating a logjam at the 3 - I don't think so

Artest can cover spots 1 through to 4 and would still see around 30 minutes a game .

For example , you could have him in the backcourt with Trent and Jalen at the 3 if you wanted to pressure the bigger guards like Kidd and Payton -you have him at the 2 or 3 with Jay and Jalen in the other two spots , at the 2 with Jay and ERob, at the 3 with Jay and Trent , or even at the 4 with Jalen , Trent and Jay if you wanted to put him on smaller tweener power forwards like Gooden or Jamison - or big men that like to play outside a lot like LaFrentz

I would rate him possibly as one of the most versatile defenders in the league who has exceptional quickness and size + the mindset of an attack dog

Anyway the minutes breakdown could work something like this

Point :

Jay - 32 minutes
Jalen - 16 minutes ( point forward )

2 Guard / SF

Jalen - 20 minutes
Ron Artest - 30 minutes
Trent - 24 minutes
ERob - 22 minutes

PF / C

Curry - 30 minutes
Chandler - 28 minutes
Marshall - 28 minutes
Baxter - 10 minutes

That's a 9 man rotation with reserves to the active rotation being :

EStrick
Hoiberg
Blount

Injury Reserve ;

Mason
Bagaric

Note : This allocation of minutes is dependent on dealing Fizer for a future draft pick or NY's injury exception for McDyess

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Several comments on the trade:

1. We really need an Artest-type player. Someone who can cover 2's who are too quick for Jalen, or 3's who are to strong. The Pacer's have two such players in Harrington and Artest, but I think Artest would come cheeper, and he knows the system.

2. Assuming that we get Artest or a similar player, we should try to trade Hassel, because there will not be enough minutes for all our swingmen and E-Rob is not tradeable nor is Marshall at this point (salery). Artest can do what Hassel does defensively -- at more positions.

3. In the above trade I would like to include Fizer and get back Foster, who is top ten in rebs/48 mins. The Pacers could use a little offesive punch off the bench.

4. I would offer them Fizer for Artest straight up before trying to expand a deal. Then I would offer the Wizards Trenton Hassel for Etan Thomas.
*On edit* I just remembered that the Wiz have alot of 2 guards, so the would likely not be interested in Trent. However, Etan is a player who I think could be had cheeply and would be very useful for us as a rebounder/defender at the 4/5. What could we interest them with?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
screw erick strickland, id just put him on the IR and make artest the primary back "point" guard, isnt that how we beat the sonics on the road last year? we sic the rotwieler on payton to stifle the sonic's offense and we were basically able to shut down the their offense, now we have a point forward in jalen here to allow ron to be a primary point guard backup

imagine the teams we'd be able to shut down with ron locking down their point guards? basically every team in the league except the lakers who dont use a point guard, or maybe even the wizards, who supposedly use the triangle offense nowadays..

this is how i see the rotation looking

pg-jaywil-artest-estrick
sg-rose-hassel
sf-artest-erob-marshall
pf-marshall-chandler-baxter
c-curry-baxter-blount-marshall

we could then trade fizer to detroit for cliff robinson or something, maybe the knicks go through a youth movement and marcus starts looking good to them for say kurt thomas

·
Registered
38 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
Would we be a better team this year with Mercer, Miller, Ollie and Artest or Rose and Baxter?
We would be better with Mercer, Miller, and Artest!
Mainly because of Artest and Miller's defense.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Originally posted by <b>sinkingship</b>!
Indiana sees Artest as a rare defensive player. Why would they trade him for Crawford?

Indy is set in the back court.
Because they have Al Harrington - they have to accommodate Bender and they have the emerging Freddie Jones and they are tied up with $7m owed to Ron Mercer who they used as the big guard defender on JKidd in last season's playoffs + and they may want to move Jamal Tinsley

+ there is a game of musical financial chairs being played next summer in Indy and not everyone will get a chair

Miller ( Brad and Reggie )O'Neal, Bender, Foster, Artest

Good enough reasons for you?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
we might be able to make the deal more inticing for them if we take in mercer's contract, it would be worth it IMHO

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
This trade can't happen now, would have to way down the line (3/4 months) as the cba stats EStrick can't be trades as he was just signed.

-Petey

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
YES. I'm totally in favor of this trade. I think Indy would do this trade cause they've got a horrible logjam at the 2 and 3 positions, and because Crawford is a bigger talent than Tinsley. He's taller, more athletic, equally fast, good passer, waaaaay better shooter- I hear they're not too high on Tinsley anyway. I never thought he was that good- he passes beautifally, but really can't do much else- he'll never be in the league's top tier of pg's, but he'd be awesome as a 6th man IMO.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts