Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
UNC signee Tyler Hansbrough tore it up, had at least 30-32 points and 8-10 rebounds.
Dook signee Paulus didn't score well but ran the point very well, hustling and passing very well. He was impressive.
Martell Webster was impressive.
Monta Ellis and Louis Williams had flashes but weren't very polished (didnt look NBA ready to me)

thats my quick review

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
HeinzGuderian said:
UNC signee Tyler Hansbrough tore it up, had at least 30-32 points and 8-10 rebounds.
Dook signee Paulus didn't score well but ran the point very well, hustling and passing very well. He was impressive.
Martell Webster was impressive.
Monta Ellis and Louis Williams had flashes but weren't very polished (didnt look NBA ready to me)

thats my quick review
good analysis,most if not all of the top foreign players werent there so it probably wasnt a true test of the best against the best(green and mcroberts were abscent also). hansborough is a horse,if he can develope a decent faceup from about 15 ft he is going to be much better than most think. ellis and williams are very foolish for thinking of the nba right now but thats their choice i guess.

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
Oh forgot to mention this dook signee Pocious (sp?) whos a 6-4ish wing player who looked pretty good. slid under the radar as a recruit but could be a good player for them.

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
Ya, I know I'm late, but better late than never, I guess.

Tyler Hansbrough - Granted, he was beating up on some pretty weak frontcourt players all night, but his strength was still impressive. Tied the H.S. scoring record (31pts). Maybe had a double-double - He had 9 and there was a missed shot that was tipped around, which he finally grabbed (10th reb). He's not afraid of contact, and he always gets a shot up through the contact. He and May will make-up one of, if not the best frontcourt in the country (pending on the decision of another ACC big man ;) ).

Greg Paulus - I haven't seen him hit a long range shot in two All-Star games, but then again, I think I've seen him shoot a total of 5-6 times. So whether he can shoot or not is TBD. Definitely needs to work on the shot. I think maybe out of those 5-6 shots, he hit 1. The announcers of one of the games was right - he may be a great passer, but teams won't guard him, making the situation even worse for the Blue Devils. He may end up pumpin out the number of assists Hurley did, but Hurley at least had possessed a shot to keep the defense honest. I'm sure he'll be find. I liked Bobby Cremins' John Stockton comparision. Obviously, premature, but he could definitley be the college equivalent. Broke the Hoops Summit assist record 11minutes into the game. Also had two impressive head-first dives into press row (one he actually dove into the tv's infront of Bobby).

Martell Webster - He was definitley the best shooter on the court. Also the most NBA-ready. His passing surprised me too. He had one bounce pass through traffic to future-teammate Jon Brockman that ended in a nice dunk. It's too bad Robinson is leaving. That team could easily have been a No. 1 seed for the 2nd year in a row.

"Marty" Pocius - Took him a little while to get going. Started out taking some long, long-range shots. the World coach must have talked to him becuase he went to his stregth - taking it to the basket - and got a couple "easy" ones to go. Those seemed to get him in the flow. In the 4th courter he hit back-to-back 3's, the second one coming from the NBA 3pt line. Like others have said - he's quite the athlete, possessing some hidden jumping ability. He won't be a huge impact player from day 1, but over time he'll turn out to be something special, I'm sure.

Julian Wright - Wow was this guy fun to watch. The kid can absolutely fly. What makes it look even more impressive are those enormously long arms. There was one rebound where he jumped as high as the rest of the other guys, but he did a "go go gadget arms" thing and snatched the ball out of the air. He and Chalmers should be fun to watch.

Louis Williams - As others have alluded to ~ he played much better this game. I don't know if he plays defense though ~ USA would get a rebound and he was already down the court. Maybe he just gets out fast. He got several points by almsot cherry-picking. Sometimes it seems like he moves almost too fast. The ball can't keep up and he ends up either losing the ball or traveling. Louis - Go to college!

Uche Echefu - Didn't get too much from his performance, but it was nice to watch him after hearing so much about him. He was pretty good with his back to the basket ~ hit a couple turn around shots, even a baby-hook.

That's pretty much all I got. I'm looking forward to seeing the decisions some of those guys come to about their future.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
TonyM said:
Ya, I know I'm late, but better late than never, I guess.

Tyler Hansbrough - Granted, he was beating up on some pretty weak frontcourt players all night, but his strength was still impressive. Tied the H.S. scoring record (31pts). Maybe had a double-double - He had 9 and there was a missed shot that was tipped around, which he finally grabbed (10th reb). He's not afraid of contact, and he always gets a shot up through the contact. He and May will make-up one of, if not the best frontcourt in the country (pending on the decision of another ACC big man ;) ).

Greg Paulus - I haven't seen him hit a long range shot in two All-Star games, but then again, I think I've seen him shoot a total of 5-6 times. So whether he can shoot or not is TBD. Definitely needs to work on the shot. I think maybe out of those 5-6 shots, he hit 1. The announcers of one of the games was right - he may be a great passer, but teams won't guard him, making the situation even worse for the Blue Devils. He may end up pumpin out the number of assists Hurley did, but Hurley at least had possessed a shot to keep the defense honest. I'm sure he'll be find. I liked Bobby Cremins' John Stockton comparision. Obviously, premature, but he could definitley be the college equivalent. Broke the Hoops Summit assist record 11minutes into the game. Also had two impressive head-first dives into press row (one he actually dove into the tv's infront of Bobby).

Martell Webster - He was definitley the best shooter on the court. Also the most NBA-ready. His passing surprised me too. He had one bounce pass through traffic to future-teammate Jon Brockman that ended in a nice dunk. It's too bad Robinson is leaving. That team could easily have been a No. 1 seed for the 2nd year in a row.

"Marty" Pocius - Took him a little while to get going. Started out taking some long, long-range shots. the World coach must have talked to him becuase he went to his stregth - taking it to the basket - and got a couple "easy" ones to go. Those seemed to get him in the flow. In the 4th courter he hit back-to-back 3's, the second one coming from the NBA 3pt line. Like others have said - he's quite the athlete, possessing some hidden jumping ability. He won't be a huge impact player from day 1, but over time he'll turn out to be something special, I'm sure.

Julian Wright - Wow was this guy fun to watch. The kid can absolutely fly. What makes it look even more impressive are those enormously long arms. There was one rebound where he jumped as high as the rest of the other guys, but he did a "go go gadget arms" thing and snatched the ball out of the air. He and Chalmers should be fun to watch.

Louis Williams - As others have alluded to ~ he played much better this game. I don't know if he plays defense though ~ USA would get a rebound and he was already down the court. Maybe he just gets out fast. He got several points by almsot cherry-picking. Sometimes it seems like he moves almost too fast. The ball can't keep up and he ends up either losing the ball or traveling. Louis - Go to college!

Uche Echefu - Didn't get too much from his performance, but it was nice to watch him after hearing so much about him. He was pretty good with his back to the basket ~ hit a couple turn around shots, even a baby-hook.

That's pretty much all I got. I'm looking forward to seeing the decisions some of those guys come to about their future.
they billed it as the best against the best but the two best for the usa werent there(mcroberts and green) and there could have been several of the top world players(bargnani,splitter,alexandrov,korolev,ilyasova,rodriguez,fernandez,martynas). reminds me of all the guys in football who duck the combine. some are still playing on their teams overseas i realize.

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
For those who wanted more about their future players...

Hoop Summit Recap from DraftCity.com

Several notes:
1) I do not agree with their comments about Webster. 1st off, it's an all-star game - guys are gonna shoot the rock as much as possible. But that's not the part I disagree with.

I have questions about his NBA future. He has a mature frame, but this isn’t necessarily a good thing, as he is almost too thick to play the wing.
Too thick to play the wing? Get him in an NBA weight room and that "baby fat" or muscle or whatever you want to call it gets even more muscular. The guy is a beast and will be a mismatch for a lot players who guard him. I've seen worse HS'ers chose to go to NBA and then succeed. This guy has the goods. A lot of the things DraftCity says he needs to work on can be easily worked on in an NBA offseason.

2) "Ellis seemed to be forcing things early" - I've only seen the kid in two full games and in some highlight reels, but I'd have to agree. It seems like he's trying to get his to impress NBA people. He needs to go to college, get some muscle, improve some skills, and learn how to be a PG who shares the ball more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts