Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I still think Qyntel can be a good to great player in this league, but no. It was a stupid idea to begin with, the guy is a scorer with athletic ability, not a passer, they are stunning his own growth by trying to play him at PG. DUMB. We need to make a trade to get a point guard, not only a backup point guard, but a point guard to start in front of Damon. If Blazers can give Sheed in a package for Reef and Terry I would be all over it. Is Terry the ideal PG? No but he is light years ahead of most including Damon.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
What I saw from him were some solid minutes offensively (at least he attacked the basket unlike the starting PG) and ten minutes of getting torched on defense.

Kind of reminds me when the Blazers tried to convert another forward into a PG. For months, he kept getting beat on defense and just couldn't get the feel for running the team consistently on offense. But the Blazers were patient with him and gave him time to work out the kinks. I'm glad they did.

He's now coaching the Milwaukee Bucks....

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I haven't watched the game yet, But I always thought Q's best position would be Shooting Guard.

I didn't think he would make a good PG. Doesn't hurt to try, when your GM just shipped off the closest thing this team has had to a PG since Gregy Anthony left. Oh well.

Terry Porter was a player I loved to watch. But, at the time he left, I never knew how long would go without great play from the 1 spot. You never miss them as much as when they are gone.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
It was only one game, but I really don't think that he is cut out for the job of finding the open guy. Qyntel is a scorer and shouldn't be a point guard.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I am starting to think that he is a guy who can initiate the half court offense, but cant bring the ball up court or play D on other points.

I really want a young PG who can start in 04/05

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Originally posted by <b>So Cal Blazer Fan</b>!
What I saw from him were some solid minutes offensively (at least he attacked the basket unlike the starting PG) and ten minutes of getting torched on defense.

Kind of reminds me when the Blazers tried to convert another forward into a PG. For months, he kept getting beat on defense and just couldn't get the feel for running the team consistently on offense. But the Blazers were patient with him and gave him time to work out the kinks. I'm glad they did.

Are you sure TP was a Forward?

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
He's not a bad passer...for a shooting guard.

And thats what he needs to be groomed for.

He's not good enough defensively to play SF (yet) and he's not confident enough to play PG full time (yet).

Him as a SG is the best bet imho.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!

TP was a Center - believe it, or not - at W-SP

Was this an example of ABMs...Believe it...or not!

and would that make ABM Jack Palance?

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!

Was this an example of ABMs...Believe it...or not!

and would that make ABM Jack Palance?
Uggggh! HAP!!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Hey I think Q needs a few games to get a feel of it! Good Lord this is the highest level in hoops and this is a kid still.

It's like asking a med student to perform open heart surgery cause they had a vascular rotation.

A little patience please!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
What if DA gets put into the starting role as a PG and Woods mans the SG position with Miles and Patterson splitting time at the 3?

Anderson
Woods
Miles
Randolph
Wallace

Would be a huge lineup, but I don't know if DA is capable of manning the 1. However, Woods should be our future at the 2 if management is serious on keeping Darius.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts

As far as I can remember, TP was a pretty competent point guard from early in his career (wasn't he a near miss for the '84 Olympic team?), and he only played power forward in college because DIII isn't exactly known for dominant big guys.

TP was a Center - believe it, or not - at W-SP
I never heard center. Always power forward.

at the time he left, I never knew how long would go without great play from the 1 spot. You never miss them as much as when they are gone.
Strickland wasn't too shabby in his first tour of duty with the Blazers.

Dan

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
It's too early to give up on Qyntel as the backup PG (just like it's too early to bench RP).

A couple of years ago, Portland used Erick Barkley and Rick Brunson as the backup PGs. I think that Woods has it in him to be at least as good as those two.

With all of this said, Qyntel would not be asked to play the PG in an ideal world. I think the 2 or 3 would be his best position, and wish he could get into the regular rotation at one of those two spots, rather than being yo-yo'd in and out of the lineup at different spots.

Considering the current state of the Blazers and our playoff prospects, I'd rather run with Q at the backup 1 than I would have someone like Robert Pack backing up Damon.

Ed O.

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!
It's too early to give up on Qyntel as the backup PG (just like it's too early to bench RP).

A couple of years ago, Portland used Erick Barkley and Rick Brunson as the backup PGs. I think that Woods has it in him to be at least as good as those two.

With all of this said, Qyntel would not be asked to play the PG in an ideal world. I think the 2 or 3 would be his best position, and wish he could get into the regular rotation at one of those two spots, rather than being yo-yo'd in and out of the lineup at different spots.

Considering the current state of the Blazers and our playoff prospects, I'd rather run with Q at the backup 1 than I would have someone like Robert Pack backing up Damon.

Ed O.
I tend to agree that his future is at the 2 or 3. That said, I like the idea of giving him some minutes at the 1.

I would say the odds are 80-20 that Woods never becomes a starting point guard in the NBA. I think the odds are much higher, however, that he could develop into an above average passer at the 2 or 3. This experience at running the offense can only help his long-term development.

Right now, I am looking at every Blazer move thru the prism of how it helps the team *in the future*. I don't mean to sound defeatist, but this season just seems like a write-off.:twocents:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I'd love jason terry to do the job...

and NO, Qyntel cannot run point. Although i do see him as a threat in the future at SG. He just needs to calm down and he could do some damage. Most of the time the kid looks erratic as hell out there.

But i got love for him, long as he keeps working on his game and doesnt get busted for anymore dumb sh*t.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I cant see Q playing PG... DA at PG is even worse, DA just donesnt have the speed to keep up w/ other Pg's. if it came up between Q or DA ill give it to Q. Q has more speed then DA and if he gets burned he has a better chance of a block from behind. I think that Q should be let to play at PG because if he pans out there we will have the team of the future!

Pg: Q
SG: Draft Pick
SF: Miles/Outlaw(whoever pans out)
PF:ZBO
C: Draft Pick/ Outlaw if he grows and gets buff

after Shaq is gone i think the rest of the NBA will go for faster more versitile big men.... Skinny White Guys... If it Goes to this Outlaw would have a really good chance to become a C

Shaq's almost out of fuel, he is like a old car he keeps breaking down they keep fixing him. One day he will just break all at once and it will be the end to one of the most Dominant Bigmen ever...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts