Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20130113/SPORTS0103/130113013/UVM-s-Apfeld-out-3-6-weeks-ankle-injury?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|FRONTPAGE|s

Really feel for the kid, hopefully he'll bounce back.

·
Premium Member
33,203 Posts
Positives:

a. At least it's clear what Apfeld's status is and it's not his knees.

b. It was pretty clear watching the BU game, something was not quite right with Apfeld- could hardly move, couldn't jump. It's better for everyone he's not going to play if he's hurt/plays like that.

C. Presumably, this is something he will be able to return from, at some point this year and hopefully give the team a lift.

D. Going to see if Rugg and especially O'Day are ready to step it up. Kilpatrick and Crenca will need to step it up as well. Sometimes, one players misfortune is another's chance.

Negatives

a. I don't see how the team absorbs the loss of Luke Apfeld and competes for the #1 seed. We do have good depth but I dunno, I feel like maybe we could have absorbed a player like Luke's loss last year or next season when Harold/Pierson are eligible, but not this season. But this season, when a bunch of teams all look pretty equal at the top, and we're a team that can really struggle to score we can't lose our top scorer.

B. A was pretty much it- sucks to lose a player like Luke Apfeld in the heart of the season. Not much more to say. Luckily, he's a terrific leader and can help in the locker room and on the bench and just get himself healthy for a run at the end of the year.

·
Premium Member
33,203 Posts
Really a shame Luke has suffered all these injuries in his career, he really would have been a nightly highlight reel if not.

If anyone deserves some post injury positive karma, it's Luke.

·
Registered
14,160 Posts
This poor kid has had his career completely destroyed by injuries and yet when he's been healthy enough to play he's been very solid. Would have been a great player if not for the surgeries etc.

Really a shame but a solid member of the Catamount community. Wish only the best for him going forward.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clancy will be getting the most minutes because of the injury, O'Day should also see more minutes.

·
Premium Member
33,203 Posts
How do you guys see his minutes getting split up? Between who now?
Clancy moves into starting lineup which he's certainly capable (starting), O'Day will get more minutes and I imagine Kilpatrick gets more time by default as well as Crenca depending on match-up.

All hands on deck, basically.

·
Banned
6,174 Posts
Apfeld hasn't played more than 21 minutes since the FDU game. I think that was when he prolly injured his ankle. He has been a jump shooter since that game. CoC, UNH, UA, and BU. He was averaging closer to the upper 20's in minutes before those games. I think I saw the play at BU where it looked like he tweaked his ankle again.

I think Rugg and O'day play around 28 minutes. Crenca gives us 15. That leaves 9 minutes for Voelkel at the 4. Staying out of foul trouble will be a lot more important for our big men. Atleast Apfeld will be back tourney time.

The injury def hurts us getting the 1 seed. I think it hurts though only a little more than the AJ injury for SB and I see SB as our only real competition for the 1 seed.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
This stinks! it would have been nice to see Vermont and SBU go at it on TV full strength. First jackson's ankle now apfield's.

·
Premium Member
33,203 Posts
This stinks! it would have been nice to see Vermont and SBU go at it on TV full strength. First jackson's ankle now apfield's.
Is Jackson hurt and for how long? Yeah, that's a bummer but at least they will be at pretty much even strength- despite the positional difference.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I remember seeing Apfeld on crutches in late September at the UVM soccer game. His ankle looked pretty bad then...black and blue swollen. My guess is he came back a bit early from the injury in the fall and it's never fully healed. If that's the case I suspect we get him back on the earlier side of the 3-6 week timetable. Hopefully he maintains his fitness and can finish the season strong. When he comes back I hope we seeing posting up again.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
....this calls for a trip to the liquor store.

·
Registered
495 Posts
But seriously - this is a great opportunity for Rugg and O'Day to step up. Rugg so far looks like he is up for it. From the little I have seen of O'Day (living 1900 miles away makes it tough to see these guys), he certainly has the ability. It is about this time in the season that Freshman start playing like sophomores. I would expect him to rise up. Ditto for Kilpatrick, as there should be a bit more PT for him as well. I feel for Apfeld and wish him a speedy recovery, but I am looking forward to the young pups and Rugg getting their crack at it. If they do, we will be more loaded for when Apfeld comes back and when it really matters - tournament time. Go Cats Go!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
But seriously - this is a great opportunity for Rugg and O'Day to step up. Rugg so far looks like he is up for it. From the little I have seen of O'Day (living 1900 miles away makes it tough to see these guys), he certainly has the ability. It is about this time in the season that Freshman start playing like sophomores. I would expect him to rise up. Ditto for Kilpatrick, as there should be a bit more PT for him as well. I feel for Apfeld and wish him a speedy recovery, but I am looking forward to the young pups and Rugg getting their crack at it. If they do, we will be more loaded for when Apfeld comes back and when it really matters - tournament time. Go Cats Go!
Agreed, I see a lot of potential for Kilpatrick. Seems to play good hard nosed basketball. He has some good hops too.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Not to be a negative Nancy, because I actually agree with this but...... We need more than to just have these guys "get better" we need someone to emerge as a special player... I thought between Blue, Rusin, and the 2 freshmen coming in, someone would shine... Don't get me wrong, I like our guys but we just don't have a Four McGlynn type player this year, and it's the difference between us being good and really good.... And no one is stepping into that role... Voelkel is amazing, but I believe he's just part of the puzzle and not a top shelf scorer.... At the end of the day that's what it's about.... Getting the ball through the hoop.... Every one of Vermonts championship teams had 2 legit scorers and at least 1 very special player on top of having an all around strong team.... Coppenrath and Sorrentine, Blakely and Fjeld, Four and Glass.... And anyone who still says that Four "wasn't really all that good" is just plain stupid or blind...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts