Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I spelled it right, but hes the C for BYU. The announcers were saying he was a definite 1st rounder this year, and possibly a lottery pick. He looked a little scared in the beginning, starting with a airball, missing an easy inside shot, and then getting blocked by a guy on New Mexico St. abut 7 inches shorter than him. Although he did pick it up a little later on, any comments on him? He doesn't seem like a big defensive player, the announcer said he only has 19 blocks this season, more of a banger with a sweet inside touch.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Araujo. He is brazilian. His numbers are pretty impresive, 20-10. I think he will be picked in the 1st round.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
He will likely be a late 1st rounder. I think he's the best true C in college. (relatively) Polished big men are hard to come by these days. He is not a great shotblocker, but has good post skills, can rebound, has range on his shot, and plays w/ passion.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
I think he can work himself into the late lotto if he continues to play as well as he had this year. He is pretty much the only NCAA Center in the draft if you think about it. His offense is much farther along then Chris Kaman's was, but his defense needs some SERIOUS work in the pros (starting with the basic fundamentals like rotations, showing on screens and just team defense in general).
If BYU can get into the tournament, he will be in great shape. His biggest problem is the level of competition he is facing. Araujo vs. Bogut on Saturday will be a great matchup. This one isn't on TV but the next one will be.

I like Araujo though, he's got a great body, a total beast in the paint, nice footwork, a bunch of different moves to work with and most importantly, he is getting better all the time. He is not even close to being a finished product yet.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Araujo could be a decent NBA center. He has great post moves, no one in the ncaa can stop him under the basket because of his great size. Needs to be better on defense and be more aggressive with challenging other players shots.

·
Registered
443 Posts
He still will need to improve on defense but offensively he has quite an arsenal. Strong as a bull. I think he's a little shorter than listed but that's just my hunch. He doesn't look 6'11 to me. Maybe 6'9.5 or 6'10.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
I'll give you an answer if you can define what the difference is between a PF and a Center in today's NBA. On most teams, not much.
Araujo has a nice back to the basket game, and I'm not sure how well he can face the basket and put the ball on the floor. He does have decent range though but I think his biggest problem will be guarding the quicker 4's in the NBA. His defense is bad as it is, no need to make him look even worse. And besides, why play him at the 4 when there are so few true 5's in the league?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts