Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/8228284p-9159225c.html

He looks like he can still score at least 12 a game now, lean, not too far over his playing weight of 170 pounds, vibrant if not a little stiff at the joints and gray around the edges.
Friday was Nate "Tiny" Archibald night at Arco Arena, with throwback jerseys and a tribute to one of the Kings' all-time franchise greats at halftime. Archibald was named one of the NBA's 50 Greatest Players, is in the Hall of Fame, and he remains the only player in NBA history to lead the league in scoring and assists in the same season, at 34 and 11.4, in 1972-73 with Kansas City, while playing for coach Bob Cousy.

Archibald also made his first of six All-Star games that season. His best game might have been against Detroit on Dec. 15, 1972, when he scored 41 points and had 21 assists in a 140-132 overtime victory in an era when teams actually scored in bunches. He played six seasons with the Kings, averaging 25 points, and his jersey No. 1 is retired, hanging in the Arco rafters.

"I'll always appreciate Cousy because he gave me a chance, he believed in me," Archibald said. "I remember he told me once that, someday, I'll be on a championship-caliber team and I may have to relinquish my scoring, but my experience will help."

1 - 1 of 1 Posts