Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not to be racist. I think blacks are better athletes than whites.
They dominate the NBA, the NFL and hold must of the records in track
and field. I think they are faster, stronger and all around better athletes.
Just wondering what your thoughts were on this.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I would say so. I don't know how credible blackathlete.net is but I think they make some good points.

No amount of political correctness can obscure the reality that the Kenyans’ mediocre success in soccer (and sprinting) comes down to genetics. They are ectomorphs, short and slender, with huge natural lung capacity and a preponderance of slow twitch muscles, the energy system for endurance sports. It’s a perfect biomechanical package for distance running, but a disaster for sports that require anaerobic bursts of speed.

“The Kenyans are born with a high number of slow twitch fibers,” states Bengt Saltin, director of the Copenhagen Muscle Research Institute and author of a September Scientific American article on why athletes are more “born” than “made.” East Africans “have 70 to 75 percent of their muscle fibers being slow... Very many in sports physiology would like to believe that it is training, the environment, what you eat that plays the most important role. But we argue based on the data that it is ‘in your genes’ whether or not you are talented or whether you will become talented. … There is no question about that. The extent of the environment can always be discussed, but it’s less than 20, 25 percent. It’s definitely a dominant factor, [that is to say,] how they are born.”

Of course, neither culture nor genes alone determines who will become great athletes. It’s biocultural. Taboo documents the wholly uncontroversial fact that different body types have evolved in differing environments over thousands of years: Inuit Indians (Eskimos), biologically programmed to be short to conserve body heat, do not produce NBA centers after relocating to southern Florida. Genetically linked, highly heritable characteristics, such as skeletal structure, muscle fiber types, reflex capabilities, metabolic efficiency, and lung capacity, are not evenly distributed among populations and cannot be explained by known environmental factors.

"Differences among athletes of elite caliber are so small," notes Robert Malina, Michigan State anthropologist and editor of the Journal of Human Biology, "that if you have a physique or the ability to fire muscle fibers more efficiently that might be genetically based ... it might be very, very significant. The fraction of a second is the difference between the gold medal and fourth place." Genetically based, anatomical differences help explain why athletes of primarily West African ancestry hold 97 percent of top sprint times, including 494 of the top 500 100-meter times, yet are not very good at endurance sports, which requires a much different physiology.

The body type of whites falls in between West African descended and East African athletes. They have more natural upper-body strength, which contributes to their domination of weightlifting, field events such as the shot put and hammer (whites hold 46 of the top 50 throws), and the offensive line in football. Where flexibility is key, East Asians shine, such as in diving and some skating and gymnastic events -- hence the term “Chinese splits.”

Why do we so readily accept that evolution has turned out blacks with a genetic proclivity to contract sickle cell, Jews of European heritage who are one hundred times more likely than other groups to fall victim to the degenerative mental disease, Tay-Sachs, and whites who are most vulnerable to cystic fibrosis, yet find it racist to acknowledge that blacks of West African ancestry have evolved into the world's best sprinters and East Asians, the best divers?
http://www.blackathlete.net/artman/publish/article_0686.shtml

·
Registered
30,287 Posts
No.

They dominate the NBA.
NFL, whites have the best quarter backs (Brady, Manning, Favre) and the blacks have other good ones (mcNabb, Vick) but Manning and Brady are the top of the league. Receiver, there are good ones on both sides, but the 2 major black ones have major attitude problems. Running back is definitely a black position. Defense is mixed too, NFl is a bad example.

NHL, white.

MLB, whites/blacks are tied, and the dominicans are the dominant ones.

·
And Justise For All
64,265 Posts
To me, a good athleate is a good athleate. Look at Bird and Magic, both dominated the NBA during their time. It wasn't because the NBA needed a black athleate vs. a white athleate, it was becuase they were two of the top players ever, regardless of their skin tone. So to me, if you can play well in your sport, no matter your skin tone, heritige, etc....then I can respect you as a good athleate.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I think that in terms of sheer athleticism, yes. African americans are usually faster, can jump higher and might be more agile, for instance.

When it comes to strength, coordination, timing and the like, I don't think there's much of a discrepancy between the two.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
UD40 said:
To me, a good athleate is a good athleate. Look at Bird and Magic, both dominated the NBA during their time. It wasn't because the NBA needed a black athleate vs. a white athleate, it was becuase they were two of the top players ever, regardless of their skin tone. So to me, if you can play well in your sport, no matter your skin tone, heritige, etc....then I can respect you as a good athleate.
I think that most people feel the same way, I'm definitely one of them. But I believe that the question is less about perception and more about quantifiable data regarding the subject. There have been studies performed (and are probably still going on) about this question and I think it can be viewed objectively.

·
Registered
56 Posts
sloth said:
No.

They dominate the NBA.
NFL, whites have the best quarter backs (Brady, Manning, Favre) and the blacks have other good ones (mcNabb, Vick) but Manning and Brady are the top of the league. Receiver, there are good ones on both sides, but the 2 major black ones have major attitude problems. Running back is definitely a black position. Defense is mixed too, NFl is a bad example.

NHL, white.

MLB, whites/blacks are tied, and the dominicans are the dominant ones.
McNabb and Vick's athleticism > Manning and Brady's athleticism

NHL+ not many blacks find that as a appealing sport

The best does not equal the most athletic

·
Registered
759 Posts
Joe_R said:
As a white person, yes, in general, blacks are better athletes than whites. As with anything, there are exceptions, but I don't believe this to be a racist comment. I'm sure there is science and evolutionary issues behind it.

·
Registered
9,975 Posts
I'm not gonna believe anything until I see some objective evidence. Sure, it's easy to make this claim because 80-some% of the NBA is black, but there are a number of cultural variables in there too that influence the number of blacks in the sport. However, I will admit that it does seem likely, I'd like to see an unbiased study done on it.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Brian said:
I would say so. I don't know how credible blackathlete.net is but I think they make some good points.

http://www.blackathlete.net/artman/publish/article_0686.shtml
That article doesn't say that blacks are better athletes overall, just that East Africans are best suited in the world to certain athletic endeavours and West Africans are best suited in the world to some others.

Whites are superior in some, Asians in some.

I've never read that particular article before, but it fits what I've read from other sources. My opinion, based on such information, is that no statistically significant population is likely better or worse athletes, but different populations can dominate certain athletic events.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
sloth said:
NHL, white.
When we have heated ice rinks that's when blacks will dominate Hockey.

·
BAIT
12,946 Posts
Joe_R said:
You are racist, Joe_R. Just plain racist.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Hmm... if you could choose a small team of young men to train every summer for baseball (more of an athletic competition, coordination, fine motor skills), decathlon, and an athletic combine in 2010 or 2015, it would be interesting to see if blacks would be better, or whites, or another... probably not too much difference. This photo shows all white competitors in the all-around challenge of the decathlon in 2004. http://www.athens2004.com/Images/Sport Gallery/Athletics/24 August 2004/51086792CB668_DEC_1500m_fin.jpg

The comparison might go to Highest 3, average of Peak 5, and sort of an average overall. The black athlete probably is better in the average overall. But if we look at the NFL combine last year, you'd be fine if you picked Matt Jones, Jordan Beck, and maybe Igor Olhansky for Highest 3. In the basketball Kirk Hinrich wowed at the workouts, AK47 is a top-notch player using a lot of athleticism (not exactly Petrovic with the shot), and there could even be freaks like Henry Bekkering just for "wow" athleticism.

And I think athletic competition is different for a lot of sports. Keyon Dooling isn't even Sam Cassell's bucket boy as a PG.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
In certain aspects of athleticism, blacks are generally stronger no doubt. Same goes for the white folks and other ethnicities as well, but as to the Hockey thing, there's two African Americans in the NHL i believe? That's probably from the fact that i've never seen nor heard about an African American that grew up around Hockey their whole life as opposed to Basketball, Football, and Baseball. That's me though, I've never seen that. Not saying it's NEVER happened or some bull**** like that.

·
Player
7,852 Posts
enetically based, anatomical differences help explain why athletes of primarily West African ancestry hold 97 percent of top sprint times, including 494 of the top 500 100-meter times, yet are not very good at endurance sports, which requires a much different physiology.
Incredible. That makes me even more proud to have some of that heritage inside me.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts