Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Blazers have fined Theo Ratliff $35,000 for missing 7 weight lifting sessions. There was no mention of a fine after he missed the first session, and the total amount of the fine was left at his locker in a note!

This is so bizarre that I have to think the Blazers are trying to piss Theo off so he'll go away and relieve them of his contract. And it may actually work.

Ratliff said his anger is less about the money and more about the noncommunicative manner in which the Blazers handled the fine. He wondered aloud how he would be able to go through his next three seasons knowing this is the way the Blazers conduct business.

"They have to figure something out, because it's unacceptable," Ratliff said. "And I will fight it until I have exhausted all measures."
http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/111286818767500.xml

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
This is really bizarre on the Blazers part. I cannot imagine having a note left on a locker as the way "professional" sports teams notify players of anything. Ever heard of email? Snail mail? Send a letter to the house? They probably don't tape the paycheck to the locker - so why this?

Hopefully it will blow over and Theo will come back strong next season to back up Joel. It would be really nice to have him as the super B/U Center. And part-time substitution for defensive possessions.

Get with it, Blazers!!

Wait.......was that a Canzano article??

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
how ironic. Fans *****ed and moaned that the evil baby eater Rasheed didn't show up for weight lifting..and then when the patron saint of all things right doesn't, they ***** that the team fines him.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Why yes, yes it was a Canzano article.

You don't suppose Canzano taped the note to the locker himself, eh? :biggrin: Certainly wouldn't be below him to plant a little false evidence, then get a convenient quote from the victim.

I'm not mad that Theo was fined. That's team policy; even I knew about it. Theo should know about it. Notification style could have been a little better, but I certainly don't have any more sympathy for Theo's wallet than Sheed's.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how ironic. Fans *****ed and moaned that the evil baby eater Rasheed didn't show up for weight lifting..and then when the patron saint of all things right doesn't, they ***** that the team fines him.
Great analysis, Hap. Unfortunately, you glossed over a lot of important facts in your rush to defend Wallace.

For starters, Wallace wasn't injured when he refused to lift weights. He just refused to lift weights because he was lazy/selfish/spoiled/stupid (take your pick). The fact that Theo was injured makes a fine seem unnecessary.

But it's also the WAY the Blazers handed down the fine that is unusual. Why wouldn't they have been concerned after the first session was missed, and notify Theo that he had to comply? To wait until he had missed 7 sessions and notify him of the fine by a note seems unprofessional and unfair.

I don't know all the facts yet, but based on this article it seems that Theo is not being treated with the respect he deserves. I will withold final judgement until more facts are known.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Well, I don't want to judge withot knowing the whole story (which I probably never will), but if as Theo said the fine was the first he heard about I can totally understand him being upset.

Also, I don't really see how pissing a player off will make any difference unless you think they want to buy him out and he is refusing. He's probably going to be harder to trade if it's obvious he wants out (other teams will think they can get him for less).

·
Registered
782 Posts
I agree the Blazers should have fined him but it seems there would have been a better way of handling it. Like, after he missed the first session, someone goes to him and says, "Theo i understand you're hurt but you still need to talk to the trainer about what program would be acceptable and get with it, otherwise we're going to start fining you $5,000 a day."

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Talkhard said:
Great analysis, Hap. Unfortunately, you glossed over a lot of important facts in your rush to defend Wallace.
where did I defend Wallace?
For starters, Wallace wasn't injured when he refused to lift weights. He just refused to lift weights because he was lazy/selfish/spoiled/stupid (take your pick). The fact that Theo was injured makes a fine seem unnecessary.
not really. there are other parts of his body he can work on with weights. Legs. Hips. stomach.

But it's also the WAY the Blazers handed down the fine that is unusual. Why wouldn't they have been concerned after the first session was missed, and notify Theo that he had to comply? To wait until he had missed 7 sessions and notify him of the fine by a note seems unprofessional and unfair.
so it's the blazers fault that Theo didn't know that missing a weight session was against the rules?

hm..when a youngin does it (read: player fans pick on because he's not a saint) he's a dumb moron..when Theo does it..it's because he's being wronged by the team.

I don't know all the facts yet, but based on this article it seems that Theo is not being treated with the respect he deserves. I will withold final judgement until more facts are known.
consider the source (quick).

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Another one bites the dust...........

...Theo Ratliff, who missed his eighth consecutive game (Wednesday) because of a sore left shoulder, was again pessimistic about playing this season. "I'm done until my shoulder gets healed," Ratliff said. "I've been dealing with the pain in the other side for four months. Now I've got this. I'm not doing anyone any good when I'm like that."....

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another one bites the dust...........
No Zach, no Theo, no Darius, no Van Exel. No wonder we're not winning.

Complainers and moaners take notice.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I am sick of Theo, I am sick of DA, I am sick of Damon, I am sick of NVE, I am sick of Ruben and I am sick of seeing that big goof Ha. Get rid of them all.....

Seriously, this team is so bad, why not finish the dismantling Nash?

If the team is going to lose and embarass itself in the process (see UTA game the other night or numerous other examples) then why not do it with young players?

Do we really need Damon, NVE, DA, Ruben, Theo or even SAR to lose that many games? What we might be more competetive? LOL.........

Get rid of these losers.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Ratliff said his anger is less about the money and more about the noncommunicative manner in which the Blazers handled the fine. He wondered aloud how he would be able to go through his next three seasons knowing this is the way the Blazers conduct business.
So, was Ratliff communicative when he missed the weight sessions? Did he tell the Blazers he wasn't going to be there? Or is he a whiner who thinks communication is a one-way street? Somehow I'm thinking the latter, although I am generally a fan of Theo.

barfo

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Leaving a note for Theo was bush-league. The management of the Blazer organization makes me sick to my stomach sometimes.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
barfo said:
So, was Ratliff communicative when he missed the weight sessions? Did he tell the Blazers he wasn't going to be there? Or is he a whiner who thinks communication is a one-way street? Somehow I'm thinking the latter, although I am generally a fan of Theo.

barfo
I almost got the impression that he knew there was a fine invloved but figured it was like $500, not $5000.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I am sick of Theo, I am sick of DA, I am sick of Damon, I am sick of NVE, I am sick of Ruben and I am sick of seeing that big goof Ha. Get rid of them all.....
How do you propose to do that? Theo, DA and Ruben have contracts. Unfortunately you just can't "get rid of them".

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Kmurph said:
Hap -

I don't see ANY comparison b\t Ha and O'Neal.
the point is that as fans, we think we know how good a player will be based on limited playing time.

I'm not saying Ha will be as good as Jermaine (or even close). What I am saying is that people are quick to dump on him because he's not Yao Ming.

I'd be happy with he was Ming Na (vague ER reference).

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
NBAGOD said:
How do you propose to do that? Theo, DA and Ruben have contracts. Unfortunately you just can't "get rid of them".
But you can trade them.

I think a reasonable idea for the Blazers to consider is a trade with the Knicks for their ending contracts on Thomas and Hardaway. Something like a sign-and-trade package of Damon, Theo, & Miles or Patterson for Thomas and Hardaway makes a ton of sense for both teams. The Knicks get a center that they desperately need and don't lose much in a Miles for Thomas swap at SF. They reunite Stoudamire with Isaiah Thomas where they can use Damon in a 3-guard rotation with Marbury & Crawford. The Blazers get Thomas for a year while Outlaw & Khryapa continue their development and then get a ton of cap relief the following year.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Talkhard said:
No Zach, no Theo, no Darius, no Van Exel. No wonder we're not winning.

Complainers and moaners take notice.
Yes, if only we had those guys, who have such a long track record of success both on the Blazers and in the NBA in general, we might be battling for 10th place in the conference.

Then we'd have absolutely NOTHING to complain about.

Of course, how could anyone EVER have seen NVE and Theo getting injured and/or shutting it down?

Ed O.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts