Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I was a NBA GM of one of the weaker NBA teams, I would replace my team with all of the Argentina's players. Those guys know how to play ball.

Are we surprised losing to Argentina, They have excellent athletes in the country as demonstrated by their being a soccer world power.

The play basketball like soccer, creative, entertaining and team work.

They have 6-7 players who should be playing NBA ball.

This was not really that big of an upset. This guys have NBA game and talent.

·
Registered
39 Posts
the gap is closing and remain the same wheather we win or lose
this game........we lost means we lost.....but still we cant avoid the fact that we are by far the most dominant team in the tournamen.we just need to complement one another well mentally and not take our enemy lightly.....thats all.......dont kidd ourself.....just coz those scrubs beat us in one game that dont take away the fact that we are the best of the best in the world.........

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
I think it was more an upset then the gap closing... No body expected Argentina to do this, and if they do it again, I would say the gap is closing.

But everyone is also entitled to an off day. Next time around, the US might trounce the Argentina team.

-Petey

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I think the gap is closing but the US is still ahead of the rest of the countries by alot. Remember we don't have Kobe, or shaq or Tmac or VC or KG and so on on this team. If we put are best players on the team yes we would win every game.

·
Registered
21 Posts
dont kidd ourself.....just coz those scrubs beat us in one

"scrubs"!!!! did you watch the game last night? if you're a true fan of basketball, you would know that the skill level of foreign teams is at least equal, if not better than US teams. when i say that, i am talking about their ability to understand the subtelties and fundamentals of the game. maybe they lack the tatoos, cornrows, and hip-hop flair of our players, but i'd rather watch argentinia, yugoslavia, spain, and other countries play before i sitting through another thugged-out playground match that US players put on. if you ask me, the US players were the ones who looked like scrubs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
oh smac....plzzzzzz are ruben wolo-whatever his last name is......and pepe sanchez not "SCRUBS" ?? they were "NBA CASTOFFS".....and i bet you know the meaning of "CASTOFF" right ?? the whole point of this argument is usa players are super stars who play like SCRUBS and those argentineans are SCRUBS that play like super stars....the talent level is nowhere near "SAME".....if their "TALENTS" were soooooo high.....the same
as usa.....all of them argentinean players would have been in the nba already. remember.....our nba international scouts aint that STUPID !!!!! they beat us by sheer determination and TEAM WORK
thats all.....not coz they have the same talent that we have............enough said

:devil:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Argentina had some real skilled players

They seemed to jump higher and run faster than the US.

This is not a bunch of scrubs. Pepe, if he had a shot would be a starting NBA PG. Ruben Wolyskisn whatever, played real well while in the NBA. Just Happens that he was offered more money and more playing else where.

Most of these foreign players can make more money in Europe. Once the allure of playing in the NBA is over, some of the best BB foreign players will not be playing in the NBA, but Europe.

Just because a foreigner is not in the NBA, doesn't mean he can't play there.

It is just a matter of time before the NBA starts to compete for the best players in the world with Europe. This will be coming very soon.

You look at Giniboli, he is a super star in Europe with rock star status. By him coming to the NBA, he is starting over again. I am sure he wants to compete against the best, even by taking a huge pay cut. But this will change very soon, players will stay in Europe because the gap is closing.

Also, Americans are getting tired of the number gangsta basketball players in the NBA. So, I would see the Europe leagues growing while the NBA decreasing and losing interest.

This loss changed everything here in the USA, if you don't think it is so..your in denial.

·
Registered
21 Posts
FOREVER BEST- the whole point of my argument, which you obviously missed, is that the SKILL level of euros and the argentinians is surpassing the americans. when i use the term "skill", if you can follow, i am referring to a player's ability to understand the intricacies (do you know what that word means?) of the game (how to play team defense, how to run plays, passing and cutting, etc.). it doesn't mean that each argentinian player could beat each US player one on one (although ginobli might have a chance). but that doesn't matter, b/c basketball is a team game and argentinia schooled the US in how to play like a team.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The USA team wasn't the best one possible but... hell, maybe Kobe and TMac are better, but Pierce and Finley are all stars, max players. Kidd is an MVP candidate, but Miller is the assist leader and Davis one of the rising stars. They didn't have Duncan or Garnett, but they had the DPotY and 3 all stars.
If this team did lose yesterday (the first time they actually met a good and deep team) it's because of the attitude, not the players.
You can't come after having played together 10 days, without preparing any game (as it is clear to everyone), without putting enough effort and SO without respecting your opponents... and hope you're going to win every game. Neither the best US team could have been sure to win playing in that way.

So, the gap is closing... maybe many people have not realized it yet, but it's not true that skillwise the best basketball players are from the US! You have the best athlets, by far, because the average afro-american guy is two steps ahead of the average caucasian one, but do you really think that NBA players have such incredible fundamentals, istincts, bball IQ? No, they're better overall because for the genetic reasons BBall is a black man game. But it doesn't mean that the "american school" is the best in the world.
I don't know if that gap could ever be closed, because the rest of the world (outside africa, of course) will never have the same athlets, it migth happen only if the current trend (no team play, dunkers with no understanding of the game) will go on.

Excuse my English, but I really hope that this loss will open some eyes and improve the level of the game played in the NBA.

·
Registered
39 Posts
first of all ruben wolososki didnt play well at all when he was in the nba.......he was a back up pf-c for the blazers i believe ?? and pepe sanchez was the backup pg in the 76ers right ? none of them were good enough to stick in the nba which is why they ends up playing in the overseas and do not tells me that they were out of the nba coz they wanna make more $$$$$$ overseas. pepe is at best an average nba player and wolososki is at best a backup pf-c. no offense but its true. and yes argentina schooled usa in that game !! its only one game......had usa realize how to play as a team.....and maximize their ability and utilize their skills as best as possible theres not a single damn chance these scrubs from argentina can beat us for some reasons usa just didnt execute their fundamentals well at all......they have all the tools that argentineans have but mentally......they just succumb to themselve......ummmm so they cant blame anybody but themselv and another thing if usa is able to play these guys again for 5 times i am sure usa will beat them 5 out of all 5 times.......

enough said........

·
Registered
21 Posts
FOREVER BEST- were you beat up by Argentinians as a kid or something? are you afraid of foreigners? i can't think of any other reason why you consistently describe them as "scrubs". a team of scrubs couldn't have beaten a team of NBA all-stars, no matter how bad the all-stars played. open up your mind a little and realize that people other than athletic, black Americans can play basketball, albeit a different style of basketball. you can hate the argentinians and the euros as much as you want, but at least respect the fact that they can play.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The gap is NOT closing, the USA is just not using it's best. Our best verses anybody else we win!

·
Registered
316 Posts
What country could beat this lineup:

C- Shaq/Deke
PF- Duncan/Wallace
SF- KG/VC
SG-Tmac/Kobe/Pierce
Pg- Kidd/Francis

The USA just isn't playing it's stars.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
first of all wouldnt duncan and mutombo play for differant countries?,i dont think the wide open game would be too kind to a guy like shaq.and he wouldnt get all his bs calls from the refs,sure mcgrady and bryant would help but argentina basically played the first half without their best player who was on the bench with foul trouble.usa is still the best but the gap has closed over the years.they are just fundamentally better abroad and now the players seem to be getting better athletically,the gap is going to keep closing.by the way,why arent the white players in this country as good as some of these guys?

·
Registered
225 Posts
The gap is closing big time! No one is saying that the US superstars wouldn't win, and that's not the point of the argument. Before this tournament some people on this board were saying that there was no way this US team would lose and that a team of NBA 12th men would win this tournament easily. Now that myth has gone out the window! Sure the US players aren't first-teamers, but three of them are third-teamers and they are all all-stars. Nobody would have dreamed that a team like this could lose five or ten years ago!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts