Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

181 - 200 of 4495 Posts

·
Piker
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #183 (Edited)
Seems pretty par for the course, no?
I guess. I thought the comments below the rankings were right on the money. They did point out that Coach Smart has never won the regular season title and then they pointed out the Dayton run that eeked them into the tournament.
The ranking is what the coaches think so I was interested. Preseason is all about hype anyway so predictions could be turned upside down when league play gets going.

Does anyone know the date for A10 media day?

·
Piker
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Also....is there anything more riveting than Coach Phil Martelli in a live interview situation? I think not!

·
Registered
664 Posts
2014-15 Atlantic 10 coaches poll "Chaz was so tough, and looked like a great leader. I'm not sure they will be able to find someone who can do what he did."
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11660309/2014-15-atlantic-10-coaches-poll-preview-college-basketball?ex_cid=InsiderTwitter_GoodmanA10
From the various media reports that have come out the last few days, one message that I've heard time and again is that this year's UMass team has better chemistry than last year. The story coming from the players is that last year's team was fractured into groups, players had their own priorities and were not as concerned about winning as a team... which was at least partly to blame for the team's collapse the 2nd half of the year.

The assumption is that this is directed at Chaz. I have no inside knowledge of the situation, it could be true, it could just be a miss-perception, or it could be a complete fabrication... but the narrative does make some sense. Last year, UMass was put in the spotlight and Chaz was front and center. Out of everyone, he got the most attention and accolades. From then on out the team's play on the court declined. I'm not convinced that UMass will miss Chaz' leadership this year.

Here are a couple of other things coming out of reports...

-The team will press and run more than it has the last two years
-Davis will start at PG, along with Lalanne, Esho and Gordon. The 5th starter is TBD
-Hinds starting, and having 2 PG's on the floor, is a distinct possibility. If not, Coleman (for a more traditional lineup) or Dyson (SG/SF) are the most likely 5th starters

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Seems pretty par for the course, no?
Any comment on the coaches poll story?
Yes, seems like the standard tiers.

3 Expected to do well
3 Needing some element to gel in order to do well
4 That expect to have some good parts and a lot of unknowns
4 That hope to improve

5 weeks & 1 day until Mike Jones comes to the Robins Center for the first time since 2010.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Last year's poll and actual results.

1.VCU........................St Louis
2.Saint Louis................VCU
3.La Salle....................George Washington
4.Massachusetts............St Joseph's
5.Saint Joseph’s.............Massachusetts
6.Richmond...................Dayton
7.Dayton......................Richmond
8.George Mason.............La Salle
9.Rhode Island...............St. Bonaventure
10.George Washington.....Rhode Island
11.Fordham...................Duquesne
12.St. Bonaventure.........George Mason
13.Duquesne.................Fordham

Just like Wesler, they whiffed big time on George Washington. Most everyone else was within one or two spots of their pick. George Mason and Bona were swapped. La Salle got bump from prior year's NCAA result. Might the same happen to Dayton this year?

·
Piker
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #192 (Edited)
2014-15 A10 Projected Standings
1. VCU Rams
2. Dayton Flyers
3. George Washington Colonials
4. UMass Minutemen
5. Richmond Spiders
6. Rhode Island Rams
7. La Salle Explorers
8. Saint Joseph's Hawks
9. Saint Louis Billikens
10. St. Bonaventure Bonnies
11. Duquesne Dukes
12. Davidson Wildcats
13. George Mason Patriots
14. Fordham Rams

After a season in which the Atlantic 10 surprisingly -- and somewhat controversially -- sent six teams to the NCAA tournament, the conference may struggle to produce such depth in 2014-15. Both Saint Louis and Saint Joseph's are fading, Rhode Island is rising (but not quite quickly enough) and the bottom of the conference remains soft. But the A-10 is certainly capable of yielding a team capable of making a deep tourney run like Dayton did a season ago.

A loaded VCU squad is the clear-cut favorite. Dayton is experienced and, with Jordan Sibert and Dyshawn Pierre back, blessed with potential star power. GW and its superb junior class have been building toward this season. And UMass -- even without Chaz Williams -- is balanced and talented. For a league that was supposed to fade without the likes of Temple and Xavier, that's a strong upperclass -- one that is again capable of making its doubters look foolish.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11658798/2014-15-college-basketball-preview-atlantic-10-conference?refresh=true

·
Registered
840 Posts
AMHERST, Mass. -- UMass guard Derrick Gordon told ESPN that he would have quit basketball if he did not come out publicly as gay last April.

The 6-foot-2 junior, who averaged 9.4 points last season for a UMass team that lost to Tennessee in the NCAA tournament, said he was beyond miserable and was on the verge of quitting the sport.

"I was coming out or giving up basketball," Gordon told ESPN on Wednesday. "It was breaking me down."
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11670358/derrick-gordon-massachusetts-minutemen-says-wascome-quit-basketball

·
6,271 Posts
The Virginia Governor’s Holiday Hoops Classic has called timeout, and the future of the event is undetermined. The basketball doubleheader at the Richmond Coliseum brought together four of the state’s Division I basketball teams each of the last two Decembers. The classic will not be held this season, but may return in subsequent years.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports...-9d93-67dba4127c44.html#.VDaoJJHi7SE.facebook

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
2014-15 AAC Projected Standings
1. VCU Rams
2. Dayton Flyers
3. George Washington Colonials
4. UMass Minutemen
5. Richmond Spiders
6. Rhode Island Rams
7. La Salle Explorers
8. Saint Joseph's Hawks
9. Saint Louis Billikens
10. St. Bonaventure Bonnies
11. Duquesne Dukes
12. Davidson Wildcats
13. George Mason Patriots
14. Fordham Rams

After a season in which the Atlantic 10 surprisingly -- and somewhat controversially -- sent six teams to the NCAA tournament, the conference may struggle to produce such depth in 2014-15. Both Saint Louis and Saint Joseph's are fading, Rhode Island is rising (but not quite quickly enough) and the bottom of the conference remains soft. But the A-10 is certainly capable of yielding a team capable of making a deep tourney run like Dayton did a season ago.

A loaded VCU squad is the clear-cut favorite. Dayton is experienced and, with Jordan Sibert and Dyshawn Pierre back, blessed with potential star power. GW and its superb junior class have been building toward this season. And UMass -- even without Chaz Williams -- is balanced and talented. For a league that was supposed to fade without the likes of Temple and Xavier, that's a strong upperclass -- one that is again capable of making its doubters look foolish.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11658798/2014-15-college-basketball-preview-atlantic-10-conference?refresh=true
AAC? Did they mean A-10 or has it become the Alien Aiden Conference?

And still 3-3-4-4

·
Piker
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
AAC? Did they mean A-10 or has it become the Alien Aiden Conference?

And still 3-3-4-4
I post league stuff. I posted La Salle and SJU stories yesterday and I posted the Shawndre Jones players to watch article. If I see A10 articles I post them.

·
Piker
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Your post says "AAC Conference" mistakenly, thus the Alien Aiden Conference.
I always get bent at urmite for no reason. Does ESPN still have it listed as AAC? What a bunch of imbeciles. I sent the writer a tweet to change it to A10.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I always get bent at urmite for no reason. Does ESPN still have it listed as AAC? What a bunch of imbeciles. I sent the writer a tweet to change it to A10.
That's ok. I'm sure we both see a post from an opposing fan and assume it is going to be negative.

I usually don't say something really bad unless I know it is over the top enough to not be taken seriously.

181 - 200 of 4495 Posts