Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

2161 - 2180 of 4459 Posts

·
Piker
8,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,161
I'm disappointed. I expected a bigger picture.
I try not to post big photos. Most websites downsize the photos for you. For some reason this website is taking two clicks to even access it. All of the profile pics are missing. This message board is going the way of the dinosaur.

·
Piker
8,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,170

Saint Joseph’s: Phil Martelli had four players — Shavar Newkirk (ACL), Lamarr Kimble (foot), Pierfrancesco Oliva (knee) and Lorenzo Edwards (shoulder) — suffer season-ending injuries last season, which was the primary reason this program finished with an 11-20 record.

What’s in store for the Hawks if all these guys are back healthy? A legitimate chance to go to the NCAA Tournament for the third time in four seasons.

Newkirk and Kimble will instantly be one of the Atlantic 10’s best backcourts if they’re fully healthy, and Nick Robinson and Chris Clover proved last season that they can be capable backups.

James Demery, a 6-6 wing, is a proven commodity as a defender, and many people inside Saint Joseph’s program believe that sophomore Charlie Brown is destined to be the next great star on Hawk Hill.

The versatile Brown averaged 12.8 points and 5.0 rebounds last season as a freshman but never was blessed will a full supporting cast that would have alleviated some of the pressure he faced.

Brown’s numbers are nearly identical to what DeAndre Bembry produced when he was a freshman during the 2013-14 season. The difference is Bembry played with Langston Galloway, Ron Roberts and Halil Kanacevic — three guys who dragged this team to an Atlantic 10 Tournament title.

If Brown gets a capable supporting cast (keep an eye on freshmen Anthony Longpre and Taylor Funk) and this team can stay healthy, Martelli may have the second-best team in his league behind Rhode Island.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Wow, I didn't expect that until after the season. I knew it was going to happen (and think we'll still get one more commit for '18), but am surprised it happened so soon.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
I am honestly not jabbing at anyone by asking this, but what do people here think about over-recruiting? It's becoming more and more common, and really rubs me the wrong way from a student-athlete driven perspective. Coaches just openly telling current players that some won't be welcome back next year?

Why are we here?

·
Piker
8,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,177
I am honestly not jabbing at anyone by asking this, but what do people here think about over-recruiting? It's becoming more and more common, and really rubs me the wrong way from a student-athlete driven perspective. Coaches just openly telling current players that some won't be welcome back next year?

Why are we here?
I am not sure but I think Rhoades is going to try to bring in Florent Thamba a 6'11 center. If so it would be 2 spots over. I think......I am still trying to calculate. I had a feeling he was not finished with Curry the FUMA guard.

With the transfer situation is it a must these days?

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
That's a great point. The transfer problem does sort of hamstring coaches. There doesn't seem to be one clear answer, but the status quo with recruiting/scholarships is pretty much unacceptable.

·
Registered
881 Posts

Why are we here?
I agree that I think that there's something inherently wrong with it. I also acknowledge that the two perspectives on it lend to valid arguments, that AA and Paul both mentioned. Are coaches over-recruiting because they know someone is going to leave or are there so many transfers because coaches are over-recruiting and more or less forcing players to leave?

I'm sure the situation happens both ways and is not an either/or situation. I guess we just hope that our coaches and programs are doing the most ethical option, but that's getting harder and harder to believe.

2161 - 2180 of 4459 Posts