Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

201 - 220 of 4476 Posts

·
Piker
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
That's ok. I'm sure we both see a post from an opposing fan and assume it is going to be negative.

I usually don't say something really bad unless I know it is over the top enough to not be taken seriously.
Not at all. You are never negative. When I first joined I mistakenly took one of your posts out of context. I did not see AAC in your quote. Now I know how SJU fans feel when they are called St John's or SLU fans when they are not listed as being in the A10. Ha! ESPN does an article on the A10 and puts AAC at the top of the rankings. Sheesh!

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Not at all. You are never negative. When I first joined I mistakenly took one of your posts out of context. I did not see AAC in your quote. Now I know how SJU fans feel when they are called St John's or SLU fans when they are not listed as being in the A10. Ha! ESPN does an article on the A10 and puts AAC at the top of the rankings. Sheesh!
Probably did all the conferences alphabetically with cut and paste, so forgot to the to change the header. Damn media & Journalism majors! :D

·
Piker
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #203 (Edited)
Transfer T.J. Cline supplies Richmond hoops with versatility

By JOHN O’CONNOR Richmond Times-Dispatch

T.J. Cline was 5-foot-11 as a high school freshman and 6-4 as a junior. It’s no wonder when his University of Richmond teammates and coaches speak of Cline, who’s now 6-9, they note his versatility. Cline grew up as a backcourt player. His skill set developed accordingly. He handled the ball. He shot 3-pointers.
“For me, not being tall my whole career kind of helped me out,” said Cline, the son of Nancy Lieberman, a Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Famer. Cline averaged 20.2 minutes, 7.9 points, and 4.6 rebounds as a freshman at Niagara and was named to the 2013 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference all-rookie team. He explored a transfer after a coaching change at Niagara. Cline, from Plano, Texas, made an official visit to Richmond and the Spiders’ staff showed him video of Dan Geriot, UR’s center 2007-11. The 6-9 Geriot shot the 3, distributed the ball, defended, screened, rebounded, and scored 1,389 points. “This could be you,” Cline recalled UR’s coaches telling him. Cline very much liked the way Geriot played. That video session influenced his decision to switch to Richmond rather than Old Dominion or other options. “If I can play like (Geriot), I think I’ll have a pretty successful career here,” said Cline, a sophomore who redshirted at Richmond last season. “I fell in love with his style of play and saw a lot of similarities in my game and his. “The center is almost like the floor general (in the UR offense), and I love having the ball in my hands, I love making that pass, I love setting other people up for them to have good opportunities to score the ball.”
During the year he sat out, Cline dropped five pounds (to 235), tightened up his body, and increased his strength and overall fitness. He says he feels that he is in the best shape of his life. “I think he very much has a chance to start or play starter’s minutes,” said UR coach Chris Mooney. “He’s a good player, can do a lot of things well. And he does a lot of things well that we really value, including his passing, his shooting ability, his understanding of the game. And he’s a very good rebounder, so I think that he has a chance to really help us.” Cline’s impact on the glass may be most beneficial for the Spiders. They finished last season minus-6 in rebounding margin and rebounding has not often been a UR strength during nine seasons with Mooney as coach. But this season, Richmond returns several veteran interior players, a group led by 6-9 Alonzo Nelson-Ododa and 6-8 Terry Allen. Then there’s Cline, who UR senior guard Kendall Anthony projected “is going to be a big surprise in the A-10 this year.” The Spiders open against Radford at the Robins Center on Nov. 14.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/sports/transfer-t-j-cline-supplies-richmond-hoops-with-versatility/article_1e114ed5-9ca0-5802-a05c-b85941b6ceae.html

·
Piker
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #206 (Edited)
Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 2m2 minutes ago
Ten thoughts and observations after my visit to UMass -- including why this team will have better leadership: http://es.pn/1o9c5T2

A quote from the article.....

"Cady Lalanne has become more vocal over the years, but it will be a collective effort.

“We did what we did last season without great leadership,” Lalanne admitted. “Some days Chaz was a leader, but the inconsistency hurt us in league play."

·
Piker
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
A Daly Dose Of Hoops ‏@DalyDoseOfHoops 2m2 minutes ago
Derek Kellogg: "John Calipari and I talk frequently. He believes I can make #UMass the next job for an up-and-coming coach."

·
Piker
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Here is a SJU season primer.

http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2014/10/2014-15-season-primer-saint-josephs-hawks/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

2014-15 Saint Joseph’s Season Primer:
Coach: Phil Martelli, 17th season (362-247, .594)
Last Year: 24-10 (11-4 Atlantic 10); Lost in NCAA second round (UConn, 89-81 OT)

Head coach Phil Martelli and the 2013-14 Saint Joseph’s Hawks cut down the nets at the Barclay’s Center and captured their first Atlantic 10 tournament title since 1997. They achieved a goal set by a trio of talented, all-conference seniors and secured a spot in the field of 68 for the NCAA Tournament; a place they hadn’t been since 2007.

The Hawks started the year a modest 4-4 amidst disappointment from fans, but flipped the switch in the middle of December. Between Dec. 18 and Jan. 22, Saint Joseph’s won nine of its next 11 games and jumped out to a 13-5 overall record with a 3-1 start in the Atlantic 10 regular season. The Hawks caught fire once again, this time with their postseason hopes on the line. They defeated La Salle, St. Bonaventure, and VCU in the A-10 Tournament to remove themselves from Joe Lunardi’s bubble watch and firmly into their dancing shoes.

Key Losses: G Langston Galloway (17.7 ppg, 4.5 rpg), F Ronald Roberts Jr., (14.4 ppg, 7.4 rpg), F Halil Kanacevic (10.8 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 4.5 apg)

The Hawks are losing more than any other team in the city. Guard Langston Galloway, currently with the New York Knicks in training camp, left Saint Joseph’s as the program’s second all-time leading scorer with 1,991 points and as the all time best 3-point shooter with 343 made field goals.

The 6-foot-2 guard averaged a team best 17.7 points per game and will leave a significant void to be filled in the Saint Joseph’s offense. The Hawks lacked a true sharpshooter other than Galloway on their roster last season, and their position of strength over the last four seasons now appears to be a weakness in their roster.

Roberts Jr., now with the Philadelphia 76ers, was second on the Hawks in both scoring (14.4 ppg) and rebounding 7.4 (rpg) last season. Martelli will miss Roberts, who is possibly the greatest athlete he has ever coached. Roberts was a steady starter for the past two seasons after being named the 2011-12 Atlantic 10 Sixth Man Of the Year and showed the most development out of any member of this Hawks recruiting class.

And then there’s potentially the biggest missing piece for Saint Joseph’s: Halil Kanacevic. The 6-foot-8 point forward was the floor general for Saint Joseph’s and was a key cog in Martelli’s offensive gameplan for his three seasons on Hawk Hill. Kanacevic led the Hawks in assists the past two seasons, averaging 4.4 apg in 2013-14 and 3.5 apg in 2012-13 and also was the Hawks’ leading rebounder in 2013-4, hauling in 8.8 rpg. The transfer from Hofstra after his freshman season finished fifth in rebounds, eighth in assists, and fourth in blocks all time at Saint Joseph’s.

New Faces: Aaron Brown (RS-Jr./G-F/Penn Wood, Pa./West Virginia) James Demery (Fr./SG/Northside Christian Academy, N.C.), Markell Lodge (Fr./PF/Christian Faith Center), Obi Romeo (Fr./C/Greenbriar East HS, W.Va.), Shavar Newkirk (Fr./PG/Cardinal Hayes, N.Y.)

Much more in the link:

http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2014/10/2014-15-season-primer-saint-josephs-hawks/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

·
Piker
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #213 (Edited)
Davidson with Coach McKillop at the helm will be scrappy and they will be shooting 3s like its nobody's business.

Josh Verlin ‏@jmverlin 16m16 minutes ago
From yesterday, @DavidsonMBB brings something a little different to the @atlantic10:
http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2014/10/mckillop-making-recruiting-adjustments-at-davidson/

The conference realignment carousel’s most recent wave peaked last year, when four dozen basketball programs moved from one league to another. That number was just at 16 this year–including Davidson, the newest member of the Atlantic 10.
Coming out of the Southern Conference, where they’d been since the 1992-93 season, the Wildcats had established themselves as one of the top mid-major programs in the country under 26th-year head coach Bob McKillop. They’ve made the NCAA Tournament eight times in the last 17 years, and have 20-win seasons in eight of the last 10.

In other words, under McKillop, Davidson has become and stayed a winning program. And he’s built a program that relies on a certain type of player, one with a high basketball I.Q. and good passing skills all over the court, while maybe sacrificing some of the athleticism of some other squads.

Dayton coach Archie Miller, who played against McKillop-coached teams when he was at N.C. State from 1988-92 and then coached against him numerous times throughout the years, is very familiar with the program’s style.

“They’re very skilled, they value skill, they’re very smart but they play uptempo, so they’re going to be a team that you’re really going to have to prepare for,” he said. “And then I think defensively they do some things that will frustrate you as well. They bring a very unique combination to the table.”

To do that in a league that’s much tougher than the Atlantic 10 will be a new challenge, however. And to compete in the A-10, McKillop is going to have to bring in a new type of Wildcat.

More on this link:

http://cityofbasketballlove.com/2014/10/mckillop-making-recruiting-adjustments-at-davidson/

·
Piker
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Also....Rhody, UMass, GW and VCU all talked about a fast paced pressing defense this year. Defense was the word of the day. Dayton & UR also talked about going deep in the line-up and playing a fast paced full court game. Anybody else? The A10 sounds like the league will have some teams that will want to pressure full court and go on both ends of the floor.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Also....Rhody, UMass, GW and VCU all talked about a fast paced pressing defense this year. Defense was the word of the day. Dayton & UR also talked about going deep in the line-up and playing a fast paced full court game. Anybody else? The A10 sounds like the league will have some teams that will want to pressure full court and go on both ends of the floor.
Add the Bonnies to that list. Schmidt has always loved the up tempo style, but Andrew Nicholson changed that for a few years. While there is no individual force like that on this team, Schmidt has stated that this is his deepest roster during his tenure at SBU. Look for them to run a lot more. Iakeem Alston pushes the ball like his pubes are ablaze.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Davidson with Coach McKillop at the helm will be scrappy and they will be shooting 3s like its nobody's business.

Josh Verlin ‏@jmverlin 16m16 minutes ago
From yesterday, @DavidsonMBB brings something a little different to the @atlantic10:

The conference realignment carousel’s most recent wave peaked last year, when four dozen basketball programs moved from one league to another. That number was just at 16 this year–including Davidson, the newest member of the Atlantic 10.
Coming out of the Southern Conference, where they’d been since the 1992-93 season, the Wildcats had established themselves as one of the top mid-major programs in the country under 26th-year head coach Bob McKillop. They’ve made the NCAA Tournament eight times in the last 17 years, and have 20-win seasons in eight of the last 10.

In other words, under McKillop, Davidson has become and stayed a winning program. And he’s built a program that relies on a certain type of player, one with a high basketball I.Q. and good passing skills all over the court, while maybe sacrificing some of the athleticism of some other squads.

Dayton coach Archie Miller, who played against McKillop-coached teams when he was at N.C. State from 1988-92 and then coached against him numerous times throughout the years, is very familiar with the program’s style.

“They’re very skilled, they value skill, they’re very smart but they play uptempo, so they’re going to be a team that you’re really going to have to prepare for,” he said. “And then I think defensively they do some things that will frustrate you as well. They bring a very unique combination to the table.”

To do that in a league that’s much tougher than the Atlantic 10 will be a new challenge, however. And to compete in the A-10, McKillop is going to have to bring in a new type of Wildcat.

More on this link:

Is Davidson leaving already?

I assume than=like?

Dammit, Aiden! Quit turning me into a proofreader...

·
Piker
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Is Davidson leaving already?

I assume than=like?

Dammit, Aiden! Quit turning me into a proofreader...
It is amazing to me what gets by the editors of these articles/blogs. urmite, I think you would be a great editor and a heavy handed one at that.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Also add the Hawks to that list. Phil has been barking in practice about taking the ball away, not just pressuring offensive sets. But if we're running and gunning, I will be SHOCKED.

TAKE THE BALL. RUN WITH IT. IT'S YOURS.

·
Piker
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Atlantic10Conference ‏@atlantic10 24m24 minutes ago
@STBonaventure Presisdent Sr. Carney and @spiderAthletics Director Keith Gill with Commish for her NACWAA Honor

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Add the Bonnies to that list. Schmidt has always loved the up tempo style, but Andrew Nicholson changed that for a few years. While there is no individual force like that on this team, Schmidt has stated that this is his deepest roster during his tenure at SBU. Look for them to run a lot more. Iakeem Alston pushes the ball like his pubes are ablaze.
Please help me get that image out of my head.

201 - 220 of 4476 Posts