Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

221 - 240 of 4434 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,902 Posts
Not at all. You are never negative. When I first joined I mistakenly took one of your posts out of context. I did not see AAC in your quote. Now I know how SJU fans feel when they are called St John's or SLU fans when they are not listed as being in the A10. Ha! ESPN does an article on the A10 and puts AAC at the top of the rankings. Sheesh!
It's more confusing for us because there's days WE don't know what conference we're in. :)

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/college-basketballs-best-team-kentucky-is-easy-to-choose/ar-BB9eoOm

16. VCU

Last season: 26-9 (12-4 in Atlantic 10, 2nd). Lost in Round of 64 to 12-seed Stephen F. Austin.

This season: Led by Treveon Graham and Briante Weber, who was first in the nation in steal percentage last season, this will be the VCU team that will be best suited for Shaka Smart’s Havoc defensive system. The question is whether it will be able to make enough 3-pointers to make a deep run in March. Shooting from deep was the unheralded element of Smart’s Final Four team from a few years back. This group will be exciting and will be the favorite in a difficult Atlantic 10, but its March fortunes will rise or fall on its 3-point shooting.

23. Dayton

Last season: 26-11 (10-6 in Atlantic 10, T-5th). Lost to 1-seed Florida in Elite Eight.

This season: Last season’s Elite Eight run wasn’t some 11-seed flash in the pan. It’s easy to forget -- given the Flyers’ dash to the finish, in which they went 9-1 to end the regular season and sneaked into the NCAA tournament -- that Dayton’s 1-5 start to conference play came when Archie Miller’s squad was decimated by injuries. That team was really, really good. Dayton loses key cogs Devin Oliver and Matt Kavanaugh but brings back top scorer Jordan Sibert and point guard Scoochie Smith, who is in contention for my “best name in college basketball” list. Few teams looked as well-coached and cohesive as Dayton during the stretch run last season. I expect that to continue.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
It wouldn't exactly be right to say they were "decimated" by injuries during the slump. They were missing Kavanaugh, who was highly inconsistent, and a bench warmer in Gavrilovic. In reality, the ball just didn't go in very often in those games, and they had some bad luck (a banked three, and a very mundane FT shooting Richmond team made, I think, 71/74 from the line).

But Forgrave hits on the main point regarding Dayton last year. For about 15 of the 18 or so weeks of the season, Dayton was a legit top 25 team. They were damn good in Maui. They won two OOC road games. They finished the year playing their best basketball. This was a top 25 team in pretty much every way.

This team returns a lot from a team that played at an extremely high level for about 80% of last season, and they add quality pieces as well. They have the potential to be even better. Expect good things.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
It wouldn't exactly be right to say they were "decimated" by injuries during the slump. They were missing Kavanaugh, who was highly inconsistent, and a bench warmer in Gavrilovic. In reality, the ball just didn't go in very often in those games, and they had some bad luck (a banked three, and a very mundane FT shooting Richmond team made, I think, 71/74 from the line).

But Forgrave hits on the main point regarding Dayton last year. For about 15 of the 18 or so weeks of the season, Dayton was a legit top 25 team. They were damn good in Maui. They won two OOC road games. They finished the year playing their best basketball. This was a top 25 team in pretty much every way.

This team returns a lot from a team that played at an extremely high level for about 80% of last season, and they add quality pieces as well. They have the potential to be even better. Expect good things.
Your wisdom is almost overwhelming Adam.

·
Piker
8,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Preseason Coaches Poll:

1 Kentucky
2 Arizona
3 Duke
4 Wisconsin
5 Kansas
6 North Carolina
7 Florida
8 Virginia
9 Louisville
10 Texas
11 Wichita State
12 Villanova
13 Gonzaga
14 Iowa St
15 Connecticut
16 Virginia Commonwealth
17 San Diego State
18 Michigan State
19 Oklahoma
20 Ohio State
21 Nebraska
22 Southern Methodist Univ
23 Michigan
24 Syracuse
25 Iowa

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES:

Harvard 47; Stanford 47; Kansas State 37; Pittsburgh 36; Utah 26; Memphis 25; Minnesota 18; UCLA 15; New Mexico 11; Oregon 9 ; Louisiana Tech 8; Colorado 8; Arkansas 8; Dayton 6 ; Providence 5; Notre Dame 5; Massachusetts 4 ; Georgetown 4; Illinois 4; Texas-El Paso 4; Florida State 3; Baylor 2; George Washington 1; Miami (Fla.) 1; Toledo 1 -- 11/18; Saint Mary's 1.

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-men/polls/coaches-poll/2014/1/

Cue sjhawk13 & EpicFallGuy. Ha!

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Was hoping to see Dayton 28-33 or so but nice to see us there at all.

I know polls in basketball are fairly meaningless but is anyone else sick and tired of seeing Gonzaga get a Top 15 ranking every single preseason only to get bounced in the first or second round??? It's free publicity every year for them.

·
Piker
8,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Was hoping to see Dayton 28-33 or so but nice to see us there at all.

I know polls in basketball are fairly meaningless but is anyone else sick and tired of seeing Gonzaga get a Top 15 ranking every single preseason only to get bounced in the first or second round??? It's free publicity every year for them.
This year Gonzaga will have a very very good team.

·
Piker
8,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
I've heard that every year for the last 15.
Well they were good every year in my eyes. The NCAA tournament can make a team a hero or a goat. Every team is good and winning games is no easy task. Gonzaga's conference hurts them in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
17,902 Posts
Preseason Coaches Poll:

1 Kentucky
2 Arizona
3 Duke
4 Wisconsin
5 Kansas
6 North Carolina
7 Florida
8 Virginia
9 Louisville
10 Texas
11 Wichita State
12 Villanova
13 Gonzaga
14 Iowa St
15 Connecticut
16 Virginia Commonwealth
17 San Diego State
18 Michigan State
19 Oklahoma
20 Ohio State
21 Nebraska
22 Southern Methodist Univ
23 Michigan
24 Syracuse
25 Iowa

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES:

Harvard 47; Stanford 47; Kansas State 37; Pittsburgh 36; Utah 26; Memphis 25; Minnesota 18; UCLA 15; New Mexico 11; Oregon 9 ; Louisiana Tech 8; Colorado 8; Arkansas 8; Dayton 6 ; Providence 5; Notre Dame 5; Massachusetts 4 ; Georgetown 4; Illinois 4; Texas-El Paso 4; Florida State 3; Baylor 2; George Washington 1; Miami (Fla.) 1; Toledo 1 -- 11/18; Saint Mary's 1.

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-men/polls/coaches-poll/2014/1/

Cue sjhawk13 & EpicFallGuy. Ha!
I think I've said what I think a few times. :)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well they were good every year in my eyes. The NCAA tournament can make a team a hero or a goat. Every team is good and winning games is no easy task. Gonzaga's conference hurts them in my opinion.
With the transfers and the seniors Gonzaga has this year, they would be a top-2 team in the A10 this year.

221 - 240 of 4434 Posts