Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

261 - 280 of 4439 Posts

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
I've done some heavy lifting in Rochester after Bona games and always have a good time. However, I wish the Bonnies, if the off-campus games are absolutely necessary, would play them in Buffalo instead. We get much, much more coverage in the Buffalo News than the Rochester D&C.
Are off-campus games absolutely necessary?

WNY Classic, anybody?

Baron, come home!

·
Registered
6,502 Posts

WNY Classic, anybody?

Baron, come home!
Not absolutely necessary. But, I think they are a good thing from an alumni standpoint, and additional marketing of the program and University in the cities just North of the Himilayas. I'm not for moving a game when the students are in session, but over the holiday break, I like it.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Not absolutely necessary. But, I think they are a good thing from an alumni standpoint, and additional marketing of the program and University in the cities just North of the Himilayas. I'm not for moving a game when the students are in session, but over the holiday break, I like it.
Oh, I don't have an opinion one way or the other, just wanted to see what some of your guys' opinions are.

If the draw is there, it only makes sense to have the occasional off-campus game.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I've done some heavy lifting in Rochester after Bona games and always have a good time. However, I wish the Bonnies, if the off-campus games are absolutely necessary, would play them in Buffalo instead. We get much, much more coverage in the Buffalo News than the Rochester D&C.
I lived in Rah Cha Cha for 13 years after graduation from Bona's, before moving to NYC. Loved my time there.

THIS. Particularly in Olean where it's really obvious when the students aren't there. Completely changes the atmosphere - not in a good way for the Bonas.
Take the product to a key alumni, donor, fan, and potential student base. Plus, they are likely to get a larger crowd. I think it's a great thing.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Bona's has had a number of really good games without students. I particularly remember when SJU went there in late feb of 2012 and Nicholson was doing Nicholson things into double OT.

And yes, SJU lost.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Bona's has had a number of really good games without students. I particularly remember when SJU went there in late feb of 2012 and Nicholson was doing Nicholson things into double OT.

And yes, SJU lost.
I was gonna say... worry about the atmosphere in Amherst. The RC has its duds with students gone just like 95% of the programs in the country, but it generally has quite a bit of spunk.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts

And yes, SJU lost.
I was at that game and have to say that it was somewhat of an exception. IIRC (and I often don't), the crowd was pretty dead in the 1st half. The dramatics of the 2nd half and overtimes did get the crowd going. The Martelli-hatred shared by most Bona fans didn't hurt. I never knew 250 primary and secondary students and 2,500 of us geriatrics could make so much noise.

The vast majority of break games don't come close to that. Nary a finger-pointing nor jeering to be seen.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I was at that game and have to say that it was somewhat of an exception. IIRC (and I often don't), the crowd was pretty dead in the 1st half. The dramatics of the 2nd half and overtimes did get the crowd going. The Martelli-hatred shared by most Bona fans didn't hurt. I never knew 250 primary and secondary students and 2,500 of us geriatrics could make so much noise.

The vast majority of break games don't come close to that. Nary a finger-pointing nor jeering to be seen.
Wait, you found a way to get loud noise from geriatrics? I'm not sure, but I've heard there may be a high paying position in our marketing department that hasn't been filled...

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
In its heyday, Bona basketball was a regional franchise. It's long-term survival might depend on it becoming so again. I'm all for an annual game in Rochester and one in Buffalo (against a non-WNY opponent). As does Bill, if there's only one I'd prefer it to be Buffalo.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I was gonna say... worry about the atmosphere in Amherst. The RC has its duds with students gone just like 95% of the programs in the country, but it generally has quite a bit of spunk.
I think his point was that SBU is a really tough place to play for visiting teams when students are there, not so much without the students. It makes less of a difference at UMass because the Mullins Center isn't generally considered a tough place to play, with or without students.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
In its heyday, Bona basketball was a regional franchise. It's long-term survival might depend on it becoming so again. I'm all for an annual game in Rochester and one in Buffalo (against a non-WNY opponent). As does Bill, if there's only one I'd prefer it to be Buffalo.
I am perfectly fine with playing games in Buffalo and Rochester, but only when the students are on break. In a perfect world, we would play our annual "road" games with Niagara and Canisius in the FNC in Buffalo (as we did before the JVBK drama), a "BCS" program in Buffalo or Rochester, and one conference game in Buffalo or Rochester. As I said in my previous post, I am extremely luke warm on Rochester games anymore, but with a few important recruiting targets in the area, I doubt it will end in the near future. If the WNY schools were smart, they would make sure double/tripleheaders happened at least a couple of times per year at the FNC in Buffalo.

·
Piker
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #279
Watch out DeAndre because Justin "Mr. Glass" Tillman is now in the A10. Battle of the afros!

261 - 280 of 4439 Posts