Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

281 - 300 of 4442 Posts

·
Piker
8,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
He's gonna have to bring more afro than that to take down Bembry.
Ha! true. That is a high school picture. I must say that since his arrival his afro is becoming quite fantastic. We are only talking hair now because I have seen Bembry do his thing but one can hope Tillman's skill will get close to DeAndre's one day.

·
Piker
8,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
Unbreakable was a highly under rated film IMHO.
Yes it was. I loved that film. By the way, Justin Tillman has been give the nickname Mr. Glass. It fits perfectly since he is 6'8 and will be looked upon to play down low. He is Mr. Glass' doppelgänger.

·
Piker
8,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
2014-15 College basketball preview: 20 under-the-radar freshmen

Duquesne forward Jordan Robinson: Several Atlantic 10 coaches believe the Dukes could make a jump in the standings and Robinson is a major reason why. The 6-8, 255-pound big man is an instant starter for Jim Ferry and gives them an immediate replacement for Ovie Soko. Pencil Robinson in for 12 points and eight boards a night.

Dayton guard Darrell Davis: Over the summer, coach Archie Miller said the 6-4 Davis is as talented as any player the Flyers have signed since Miller's been at Dayton. The 6-4 guard will play both backcourt spots and should be one of the A-10's better first-year players.

George Washington forward Yuta Watanabe: If the Colonials are to compete for an NCAA bid, Watanabe will be a major reason why. The 6-8 forward is always around the ball and could be a part of Mike Lonergan's close-out lineup at the end of games next to Kevin Larsen up front. A native of Japan, Watanabe should have a tremendous career in D.C. as long as he adds strength.

Fordham forward Eric Paschall: Tom Pecora has been searching for an alpha dog since he arriving in 2010 and he's got just that in Paschall. The 6-6 forward was the 2014 New England Prep Player of the Year and is a nightmare match-up as an undersized 4-man. Expect Paschall to put up gaudy numbers in Year One.

Rhode Island guard Jarvis Garrett: Jared Terrell was the recruit that turned heads for the Rams this past Spring but Garrett's addition may be just as important. The 6-foot floor general is mature beyond his years and sees things that other point guards aren't capable of. Look for Danny Hurley to play Garrett and E.C. Matthews together for long stretches next season in an effort to move Matthews off the ball in spurts.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24773692/-15-college-basketball-preview-20-under-the-radar-freshmen

·
Piker
8,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #287 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Duquesne's isn't much better...

9. Duquesne: A junior-heavy roster, led by sharpshooter Micah Mason and guard Derrick Colter. Dukes should

I get the Dukes don't know what they should be doing sometimes anyway, but come on...

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I love the plethora of college basketball experts that the internet allows. It sure is the case that Bona no longer has the services of Chris Matthews. In fact, it hasn't since the end of the 2009-2010 season.
You do realize that is a quote from an A10 assistant coach right?

I also would read the quote more carefully. While it isn't well spoken I see the point.

Josh is one of the better writers for the A10. Covers a good bit of mid atlantic teams. Does outstanding work and I know sjuhawk will attest to that.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Yeah that just means at least one A10 coach isn't the most well-informed, and I don't think he's alone.

Fun fact: the other Chris Matthews gave SJU's commencement address in 2009.

·
Registered
5,871 Posts
Jordan Robinson 12 and 8??? That's 2nd team numbers right there.
Yep. Absurd. It's so funny to see how people exaggerate projected stats--especially for big men--during the preseason. 12 and 8 would be a nice year for seniors like Lalanne, Ndoye, Zack, etc. A frosh like Robinson? Wasn't Watkins supposed to be the savior, too? Let's just wait and see. 12 and 8. HA!

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Who was the last freshman A10 big to have numbers like that on a team with a decent amount of options?

A shout out to Chris Gaston who was a monster his freshman year at FU. He doesn't qualify since Fordham was absolute garbage and had invalids playing alongside him, but still. Something near 20 and 10.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
I'm not knocking this Robinson kid; I know very little about him. But I would have a double take at any freshmen being predicted for those kind of numbers.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Who was the last freshman A10 big to have numbers like that on a team with a decent amount of options?

A shout out to Chris Gaston who was a monster his freshman year at FU. He doesn't qualify since Fordham was absolute garbage and had invalids playing alongside him, but still. Something near 20 and 10.
Maybe Bryant Dunston. That team had some better players on it.

BTW, I think you could phrase your things in a more tactful manner. It might be all in good fun, but it gets old.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
Maybe Bryant Dunston. That team had some better players on it.

BTW, I think you could phrase your things in a more tactful manner. It might be all in good fun, but it gets old.
Forgot about Dunston. He too was a good big. Is he still playing somewhere?

I will take that to heart, Ace. It is in all good fun, yes, but that could have been better phrased--my bad.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
UMass walked all over Div II AIC in an exhibition game tonight. A 30 sec clock was used and the score was 120-71. It would have been much higher if the walk-ons did not go in with 5 minutes left. The scoring slowed to a snail pace as the other players tried to set-up the walk-ons.

C.J. Anderson' scored pretty well but seemed a bit lost on defense.

Other new or players with limited action from last year were excellent to very good: Hinds, Coleman, Dyson and Clark. Berger was OK and players with good minutes last year felt TBerg did not shine and played OK along with DG. Trey Davis, Maxie Esho and Cady played excellent.

November is full of games that should challenge and define this team and was very encouraged tonight.

Donte Clark and Demetrius Dyson led a total of seven players in double figures with 17 points each. Cady Lalanne had a quiet 14 points, 11 rebounds and four blocks in 12 minutes.

UMass shot 55 percent from the floor and was 11 of 25 from outside for 44 percent. The Minutemen had 30 assists on 41 field goals and scored 27 points off 17 Yellow Jacket turnovers.

Guards Trey Davis, Jabarie Hinds and C.J. Anderson combined for 19 assists. Davis and Hinds were also in double figures with 16 and 10 points, respectively.
http://www.umassathletics.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/103014aaa.html

http://www.gazettenet.com/home/14142290-95/matt-vautour-observations-following-umass-120-71-exhibition-win-over-aic

281 - 300 of 4442 Posts